Sourcing a devon concertina pop?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abby

Reaction score
Firstly - GREAT NEWS!!! We picked up our bay a-wa-hoo! I'm now buying all kinds of goodies to make her lovely again :mrgreen: .

However I am struggling to find a new concertina pop - any ideas where I can find one? We have tried Poptop-Parts but they are out of stock until December (nooooo!). And all the googling i can muster can't seem to find anywhere else. I am wondering whether to stick with the plan of doing this ourselves, or pay someone else to do it. Has anyone fitted one before? What would you recommend?

Congrats on joining the small but well formed band of Devon enthusiasts on the forum. :D

Poptop Parts are possibly the best bet for a quality concertina, and so you might want to await the new stock...one of the first lessons owning a bus taught me was to be patient, everything works at a slower pace in Early Bay land. :lol:

A couple of folks on the forum have attempted to replace the concertina themselves, I have thought about it but never done it, and I think it was Moseley who posted some great pics and explanations. It's a bit of a pig of a job by all accounts. Try using the search function (eg +Devon +poptop or similar) for the relevant forum thread.

Good luck

Kev

KevH said:
Congrats on joining the small but well formed band of Devon enthusiasts on the forum. :D

Poptop Parts are possibly the best bet for a quality concertina, and so you might want to await the new stock...one of the first lessons owning a bus taught me was to be patient, everything works at a slower pace in Early Bay land. :lol:

A couple of folks on the forum have attempted to replace the concertina themselves, I have thought about it but never done it, and I think it was Moseley who posted some great pics and explanations. It's a bit of a pig of a job by all accounts. Try using the search function (eg +Devon +poptop or similar) for the relevant forum thread.

Good luck

Kev

Thanks Kev!! It is all very exciting. Unfortunately patience isn't something i'm particularly good at :msn4: . But I can see I need to learn ha. I've got plenty of bits to get on with, but it just seems silly to do more things inside when she isn't watertight..

The other option is a straight up pop? But I've heard stories of lots of jiggery pokery to get them in... whereas our concertina just pops up and down with no fuss. :roll:

I will get searching for others' posts :D

Ai it was me who spent a lot of my winter sorting out our roof! My thread in the gallery has all the pictures and description if you're at all interested. I would thoroughly recommend at least replacing all the rivets as these are the common leaking points rather than the canvas itself. We went down the route of a straight sided canvas, in hindsight, I'd get a concertina without windows. Can thoroughly recommend pop top parts for the canvas, worth waiting for IMO.

I agree with the comment about sorting the actual roof panel separately from the side panels, as that is the usual suspect when leakages occur.

I had a JK fibreglass cap on mine, which was watertight but VERY heavy, not helped by having non-upgraded springs. So I took a chance, I sold the cap and last March I applied a sheet of high quality vinyl to the top, above a layer of insulation, using HT glue. This saved the hassle and time of replacing all of the rivets, and despite some appalling weather this summer it has remained absolutely watertight. Cheap and quick fix (less than £70), though in my heart I will always know that it is not a 'proper' job. :)

any good..? (not mine)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vw-Bay-Window-Camper-Van-Devon-Roof-/281812344965?hash=item419d532085" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts