South African '71 microbus project

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
61 stu said:
looking sweet mate 8)
Cheers stu, feels like it's taking ages and not muh to show for it but at least the brakes etc are new and once it's weathertight I can start on the interior :)

Driveshaft painted and refitted with new cv boots :) (also replaced shock absorber with a 2nd hand good one as it was fubared)
IMG_0001-1.jpg

Headlamps re-assembled with new seals (made 2 good ones out of 4, with 1 1/2 decent spare) all working
IMG_0004-1.jpg

Just waiting on some new windscreen washers,
Plenty of other jobs to do such as refit windows with new seals, 4 small welding jobs, get some new tyres, fit spot and reverse lights to bumpers, few small repairs to engine harness, get the engine running right, etc.

Windscreen washers, lights and indicators etc working.
013.jpg

O/side middle window out, surround pretty good. :)
009.jpg

More than can be said for the 1/4 light frame... :shock:
048.jpg

Then it started raining :roll:

Refitted the rear and one side window and started cutting out the rust ready for welding.
Rear window, some localised repairs to the window surround restricted to surface rust, just 2 medium pitted areas needed a bit of attention.
IMAG0084-1.jpg

IMAG0083-1.jpg

Side window in, was a lot easier than I thought.
IMAG0081.jpg

not happy about the 1/4 seal though, didn't have the flap like on the original.
IMAG0082.jpg

I was so happy about getting the rear window in that I took out the windscreen, it's chuffing heavy :shock:
The surround is pretty solid, just needing a quick skim with a polybrush to remove surface rust and clean up some pitting.
IMAG0085.jpg

IMAG0091.jpg

Again everything I remove reveals more reddish brown dust, it's got everywhere!!
IMAG0088.jpg

Floor sections cut out ready for new metal.
IMAG0090.jpg

whats left of what was cut out...
IMAG0089.jpg

Getting there slowly, wishing I had a garage, I'd get there a lot quicker. :|
Picked up some decnt wheels and tyres on Monday, many thanks to troupster :D
sure beats the 50p shaped wheels and ancient tyres that are on at the mo, Goodyear Grand Prix tyres anyone...?
or 15 yr old kingpin remoulds.... thought not :lol:

Sprayed the dash top while the screen was out, matt black.
IMAG0101.jpg

Sprayed the windscreen surround too after using dinitrol rc900on the rust, awesome stuff.
IMAG0102.jpg

forgot to take piccies of the lower section but ready for screen once I've fitted the deluxe trim.
Started the welding too, just some small repairs to the sills and rear arch tub completed so far, floor and rear of front arch to do.
Found out why the engine wasn't running quite right and replaced the new plugs with the original ones, works fine now :mrgreen:
Itching to get finished so I can drive her...hopefully we'll get an indian summer :lol:

Started tackling the rust under the headlamp too, previous filler repair had cracked and let moisture in, just surface rust but needs sorting none the less. The idea is to stop any rot and enjoy for a year or 2 while saving up to get someone who knows what they're doing bodyrepair wise, I can take off, replace or clean mechanical stuff no worries but my welding isn't brilliant and I'd panel beat more dents in than take out :shock: Plus I like the dents :mrgreen:

Not much progress recently, cracked the windscreen refitting it(it did have a small crack at the bottom) a lovely crack right down the middle of the screen :cry: collected some decent wheels and tyres from Preston a month or so ago, Michellin Agilis tyres with plenty of tread :D , wheels needed a bit of a paint so thought body colour was the way to go, not sure now,
IMAG0140.jpg

also sprayed up some tatty wheel trims in pastel white,
IMAG0142.jpg

welded some small patches to the sills too,
IMAG0103.jpg

ended up putting old spark plugs back in as well as it kept backfiring, think it runs better now
Been generally cleaning and collating all the bits I took out the interior, trim etc and storing them safely so I don't lose them.
Removed the rear offside window to find a few holes in the aperture so need to sort them before refitting the glass.
Hoping to squeeze the van into my friends garage as the weather is beating me at the moment(so much for an Indian summer :lol: )

Not much done at the mo' weather and dark evenings putting paid to progress. Did trial fit my wheels to see which I preferred.
IMAG0182.jpg

body colour with beauty rings methinks, just need some shiny hubcaps now.
Treated the underneath to lots of Dinitrol wax, my parts collecting has ground to a halt due to being skint so need to crack on with fitting what I do have :roll:

On my christmas list;
stainless beauty rings (I only have 2 rather dented ones)
stainless hub caps
windscreen
seatbelts
hardboard to redo the interior panels
rear side window

61 stu said:
coming along nicely 8)
cheers Stu, struggling to keep motivated at the mo', just want to be driving it, but I know I need to do the jobs properly as it'll be our family transport when it's finished. Sold our daily t4 caravelle to buy it and occassionally regret it, (the warmth, power steering, sound of the 5 cylinder growling away, it's addiction to petrol :mrgreen: the rust :roll: )
just keep looking at your van as the 'after' photo to inspire me :msn4:

Fitted sliding door 1/4 and 3/4 window glass and new rubbers today :)
IMG_0002.jpg

welding needed to o/side rear window recess :cry:
IMG_0003-1.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

previous weld to sill all painted up :) thought I'd leave the dent :mrgreen:
IMG_0006.jpg

one of the next jobs to do is the front end :shock:
IMG_0008.jpg

After a bit of a break I've steamed in and removed the engine ready to tidy up the engine bay wiring etc and remove the tinware and ancillaries and give them a good clean. Need to check fuel tank hose too while I'm at it.
IMG_0001-2_zps5dce7d0d.jpg

engine in
IMG_0004-1_zpse386fd1d.jpg

engine out
IMG_0003-2_zpsf7132e7e.jpg

needs a clean
IMG_0002-1_zps927d5677.jpg

IMG_0006-1_zps24d15961.jpg

dodgy wiring, some wires not connected to the regulator...
IMG_0005-1_zpsa4283481.jpg

a familiar sight, rusty battery tray.

Picked up a spare engine today and ended up with gearbox and two driveshafts complete with hub assemblies. Gearbox/engine combo very heavy but thankfully there were 3 of us to manhandle it into the works van.
IMG_0001_zps3953c398.jpg

seperated and stripped in the back of the van,engine still chuffing heavy :shock:
IMG_0004_zps067b4af3.jpg

not sure what model of weber carb it is or whether it's worth keeping?
IMG_0003_zps2acee9c3.jpg

IMG_0002_zps60860d41.jpg

The engine has the flaps and thermostat that were missing from my S.African engine aswell as a few other bits that'll come in handy. Not to mention the top end rebuild it had just before pulled from the van 15 yrs ago. The block looks like it leaked a fair bit so I'll strip it and rebuild with new seals etc if it's useable.
The engine pulled from the van will be cleaned up and checked then tinware re-assembled making sure all is present and sealed well.

Tinware nearly all painted, just flaps and 2 other bits to do.
thought I'd jazz up the fanhousing :)
IMG_0001_zps63749168.jpg

went for satin black, although Ithink it was originally gloss (just happened to have a tin of satin, ended up using a few more tins 5 altogether :shock: )
IMG_0001_zps5c4611b9.jpg

cleaning up a few of the other ancillaries too, wife didn't appreciate the kitchen stinking of oil :oops: or the bath(washed the fanhousing in the bath :mrgreen: )
I'll be happy when its all back together and running, then I can finish the welding (putting that off as it's not a strength of mine) and get it mot'd

Love the stripes, that'll look fantastic in a clean engine bay!

Satin paint on the tinware looks great, my tinware's a lot more beaten up that that.

Cheers Will, wasn't sure about the stripes at first, but wanted to brighten up the engine a bit. The tinware needed a bit of persuading togo back into shape.

Cylinder head cleaned up and valves lapped to replace a welded up one fitted to the "recon" engine
IMAG0298.jpg

IMAG0299.jpg

cleaned up, welded and painted inlet manifold and collected all the clips,thermostat etc needed to complete the engine.
Need to remove fuel tank and clean off all the south african soil thats gone moldy, don't want any rust traps.

Latest posts