South African imports at Chatham Docks

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leecroft

Reaction score
DSC00012.jpg

DSC00014.jpg

DSC00013.jpg

Here is 2 early bay vans my friend and i imported from South Africa.
I have a 1970 blue Westfalia, And my friend has green a 1971 Microbus.

Did some feel the antiquated braking system need a helping hand with the addition of some air brakes....

Nice looking busses

Araon said:
Did some feel the antiquated braking system need a helping hand with the addition of some air brakes....

Nice looking busses

Hi Araon, Funny you should say that. The microbus could`nt make the 30mile journey back on her own steam because one of the brake calipers pissed out all the fluid leaving it with no brakes. We sourced a low loader to take her the rest of the way.
Have been told 71 brake calipers are more expensive than 72on. Would be!!
The westy has shoes, They worked fine and the single port engine was smooth`ish.
The microbus has a twinport which was rebuilt out in South Africa, Sounds and goes beautifully!!

they dont do new calipers for the 71/72 only lates Aug 72>.... you can get a kit to remount the late calipers which shift centre slightly.....the refurb kits are readily available though...... If your after the early calipers ask on here there are a few people that have changed there brakes I believe Johnny may still have his, froggy went for the late caliper upgrade but I believe he sold his old set up.

Latest posts