sp 1600 with twin carbs??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westy68

Reaction score
hello people. im thinking of putting a pair of single 34s on my 1600sp.. was wondering if this would be any good? just looking for an extra bit of grunt up hills... if so know anyone with a set?? cheers

Eurocarb is the best place to buy them from. It will come with the correct jets & all the bits to fit them.

Mention Aircooled Technic when ordering ;)

Hi...I have been thinking about the same, although my engine is a twin port 1600....I have ben told that for these 34 ICTs are not so good, and better look for twin webers or even dellortos if I can find an Afa that hasnt dissolved completely in a scrapyard...anybody tried any of these?

ibérico said:
Hi...I have been thinking about the same, although my engine is a twin port 1600....I have ben told that for these 34 ICTs are not so good, and better look for twin webers or even dellortos if I can find an Afa that hasnt dissolved completely in a scrapyard...anybody tried any of these?

You are right in saying the ICT isn't the best carb, Weber or Dellorto from an alfa will be an IDF or DRLA, I don't think you can get SP manifolds to use them.

Dellorto 34 FRD's are great, but are like gold dust. The ICT is a cheap alternative that will do the job for a while.

I wouldn't say they are not recommended more that the quality isn't 100%. I have fitted loads of them & they are always better than what was there before. It's just the way the linkage puts pressure on the spindles & can wear them out in just a few years. They are made in Spain & are not as good as the old Italian made carbs.

They are cheap enough to warrant using them for a while.

pete nice said:
I wouldn't say they are not recommended more that the quality isn't 100%. I have fitted loads of them & they are always better than what was there before. It's just the way the linkage puts pressure on the spindles & can wear them out in just a few years. They are made in Spain & are not as good as the old Italian made carbs.

They are cheap enough to warrant using them for a while.

They are when you pay £60 for a running twin port and a pair of 34's (without manifolds or linkage) :mrgreen:

fitted new ICTs to 1600 TP in the split and 10 times better than the tired old thing that was there before. Felt more adventurous on the bay and bought used DRLA 40's, needed a clean, gaskets, re-jetting etc, had to fiddle with the fitting kit which I think was for weber but got there eventually, result as better again than the ICTs. There seems to be a regular supply from croatia on ebay, good feedback but I didnt like the no paypal so waited for a uk pair (and paid a uk price)

A pair of 36 Weber IDF's could be a good option. You can get them from Alfa's but will have to spend £100 on jets to make them work. They are better than ICT's as long as the spindles aren't too worn.

well guys thanks for all the feed back.. been told that for my SINGLE PORT.... a set of kadron 40s jetted for a 1600 will go great.. and the ssp do the mans for £55 sheets.

I am not a lover of the Kadrons, they never seem to run right, the Yanks seem to like them, but there are a few guys that have spent a lot of hours getting them right. There is a website that has a load of info on there, it also says that some of the jets aren't what is stamped on them.

The ICT's from Eurocarb or a good pair of used Weber 36 IDF's is the way I would go.

I am gonna run twin Weber 40's on my new engine.

I've had a couple sets of single port kadrons on both on bus's and Bug's. I love them.
The stock linkage is somewhat lacking though.
The Bugpack or CSP linkage are much better.

pete nice said:
It's just the way the linkage puts pressure on the spindles & can wear them out in just a few years. They are made in Spain & are not as good as the old Italian made carbs. They are cheap enough to warrant using them for a while.

Pete, A few years ? How many miles are we talking here ? I have a set waiting to be fitted you see and 30k miles though would mean at least 10 years for me !!

Cheers

James

I would have thought you would get quite a few years out of them if you don't use it much. A different linkage might help, I fitted a swivel linkage to a buggy I was working on, that seemed to work quite nice. It was cheaper than the hex bar too.

Latest posts