Spark plugs & leads

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpop

Reaction score
I'm just about to change the spark plugs and leads on my 1600 Type 1 engine, the spark plugs are long reach and the leads are for a blue coil connected to a 123 Distributor. My question are what do people recommend as it's been about 10 years since they were changed.

Thanks in advance Simon

I got these last year. They are good quality and match the colour theme [emoji3][emoji1690]

https://www.coolairvw.co.uk/product/ac9988044/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I bought my dizzy and leads from powerspark (www.simonbbc.com). Good prices and haven't let me down yet.

8mm Taylor low resistance leads. Not cheap but last for years and will improve running over cheaper sets.

We put 8mm on stock & milder stuff and 10mm on real high performance motors.

As standard, the best it would have had is a 10,000V coil and 6mm leads. The old favourite bosch blue coil was a popular upgrade at 20,000V.
I run standard recommended bosch plugs, slightly bigger gapped than standard, pertronix leads in black, 40,000V pertronix flamethrower coil black, original polished standard bosch vac advance dizzy (pertronix ignitor hall effect electronic ignition inside), with black bosch cap, on my AD 1600 in my crosser. Looked fairly stock until I added the baby webbers.
These are all good quality, reliable, proven products.
Some of the the popular suppliers have quality bundle deals as well as cheap ones, so worth having a search through. For the most part, you get what you pay for. Forget about anything cheap, or "dress up" see through, coloured or luminous rubbish, it will break or fail, probably sooner than later and cause a problem when you are on the road as well as looking tacky.
Let us know what you go for.

Latest posts