Splify 67 built uk panel resto

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
managed to fit the new (mint!) front beam by myself, bus is so high on stands jack don't reach. Got 2 bolts in lower rear holes and swung it up. will fit arms and torsion bars (first!!) tomorrow. Will take some photos , its that stage when after a full days work nothing "changes" well apart from missed welds sorted and welds ground down. Not perfect but was never a 100 point resto. Need to order some bits like lock tab for idler bolt , adjustable steering rod ,clutch cable and conduit etc

Should start a thread " jobs you hate " took all morning to get front torsion bars in, beam full of grease but felt like it might be rusted in central part as the leaves didn't want to slide in. Resorted to grinding down the ends to a chisel shape to get them in and then had to use a hammer, arms fitted just need spindles--------

That's good my post got dumped, anyways sorry but gave up trying to get French Slammer spindles and got some Empi ones. Will need moding to fit the brake disc conversion kit that I ordered but Hot Rodder here so no problem . Need to turn van around in unit to work on n/s rear arch and upper panel down to waist line and a bit on ends of inner arch , that should see the welding done apart from pin holes and missed bits that I will have to check for. Problem I do have is bus only just went under door frame coming in, now empty shell its to high so ratchet straps on suspension at rear. See how it goes tomorrow!!!!

Had to let rear tyres down and then just cleared , moved all the crap around in unit and made a start on cutting the 1/4 panel out. Good days work and Knackered now.

Brake kit has turned up, not sure about the master cylinder as it looks like it fits a servo. Mind you I did want to fit a direct acting one if I could work out how

Got assaulted at work about 6 weeks ago, what docs thought was just a sprain turns out to be ligament damage so that's stopped me doing much to the van, off workfor2 weeks as well as cant work and it needs rest. That's the right wrist BTW .

wearing splint and welding L/H managed to fit upper rear panel, started to do N/S rear arch. will take pics tomorrow.

Not been able to do much as have a buggered wrist, annoying as off work and cant do much to bus.
rmlgilc.jpg
yUvDR8g.jpg

Fitted arch, bought a deep throat swager so I can noddle edge and have used panel adhesive so no distortion. found I can weld OK without hurting wrist so did patch repair to lower 1/4 where it had gone through on n/s battery tray. Wheel arch rear end and some welds that were hardtop get to before to do O/S rear. Thinking about swopping spare wheel tray to o/s , need to measure but looks feasible as spare will have to go that side in cupboard . Also started to see if Empi brake kit will fit drop spindles, need to cut lugs off and drill 4 holes in correctly to mount calliper bracket and get a spacer made about 12mm to position it centre to disc. Job for local machine shop me thinks after crimble.

To cold to do much today, must get some fuel for space heater!! decided to start mod on drop spindles and made cardboard template. cut of calliper lugs and with a bit of "machining" to clearance adapters have the one done. will make dummy spacer block out of some ply to make sure it all fits and then its a trip to machine shop to have them made.

Well I posed the question is it possible to fit spare wheel well on the right, yes after shortening it by reprofiling the ends. Just need to clean up welds and derust flange then weld it in. Next make up a plate to cover hole , might have to have round profile ribs but it wont show

so its inside the cupboard that's going in , the r&r 3/4 bed will cover spare hole so decided to move it to the opposite side . Well it made sense to me !! there will be a full length unit with full height "wardrobe " but that's for storage for tools and spares with shelf (s) in top . Will be some trick features going on to make a very usable camping setup. Cooker will be in separate unit that can be removed to go in awning and set on rails so will slide out of side door so you can stand out side to cook as well . I am primarily a hot rodder drag racer , builder of drag cars and bikes so think totally out the box and have used many parts that no one else would think of using. That's why its easy for me to mod spindles to fit brake kit that "doesn't" fit, why I have used polo steering rack . Next one is to fit a brake servo when there is no way to get pedal linkage to work YET .

managed to primer the welds on load floor /arches and bits so next week when things are back to normal I can get ply for floor . Need to go round joints/weld with seam sealer . See how R&R bed fits then and start to work out units. Looking at caravan breakers for worktop as not found any light weight stuff yet.

Got brush seam sealer, some cartridge sealer (like Tigar seal) and some spray stone chip . Ply for floor coming Sat, its handy having my youngest driving builders merchant delivery lorry (7ton? with hihab) so got his discount. Using 8 mm first between step in floor with 6mm on top, visit to local carpet place to see if any offcuts of vinyl after doing floor.

I know its arses about face but started making interior, floor in and R&R bed fitted. Using as much of the wood from old seats and stuff. Panel that went down O/S is now unit back, the ratty bit along bottom cut off . Used the ali angle to go along top that came out as well. Going to see if I can find offcut or end of roll flooring tomorrow as that needs to go in next. Not sure what to use above worktop yet, some sort of wipe clean.

picked up some light oak plank effect flooring, all fitted and started to make unit. Bought a lazy tong riveter to fix ply to R&R bed. Barging in charity shop ,found some rubberised curtain liner to make bottom of seat covers for £4.50 and its enough to do all 3. Back to work full time Tues as wrist is "sorted" well bone popped back into place so it full steam on this weekend to get units sorted.

Well I was going to take some pics today but not got on as far as I wanted. stuck for some more ply and need worktop and sink. Started to make overhead unit by tailgate and hope to get it done on Sunday. Wish I could do an Andy Murry and retire early injured .

Latest posts