Splify 67 built uk panel resto

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All wiring sorted (I hope) ,rear lights fitted and my youngest lad came down and helped fit tailgate yesterday. Gearlever repaired , its a Scat one that was in the bus when I got it 20years ago and looked old then. Frame had cracked and bottom plate bent to **** so bit of hammer work a touch of MIG and splash of black should see it last another 20 or so. Gearbox fitted ,found cage for shift rod bent so it was a good job I have a new one. Wont go over shift rod bushes though so a bit of a fiddle tomorrow. Spent an hour looking for wingnut for clutch cable , gave up and ordered new but that was okay as needed to get new engine bay front seal and a few other things. Planning to repaint fuel flap and some bits that got scratched wet flatting that wont buff out on Thurs as its supposed to be very hot.Found all the bits to put flaps back in cooling , even a working thermostat !!! Manifolds have to come off to fit vac fittings so will clean carbs as well .

Found out why floor/gear lever bracket was bent, looks like there should be a spacer under lever. Floor has a recess and bottom of lever is larger than hole!! made a spacer, any one fitted a Scat shifter to tell me thats right. Floor mats fitted , decided to mop the side panel again , it will do. Fuel flap touched up with a brush , flat and mop should sort it. Had to file end on speedo cable as it didnt want to go through hole in dropped spindle Bits turned up this morning so will get some more bits finished tomorrow (food shop day today) . Will make a start on engine as well. Found a cover for upper sliding door bracket in white (well its sort of even after cleaning) so put that on. Dont think it had one as panel van?
HDTFrhz.jpg
10mD7rN.jpg
nC2eQaQ.jpg

My youngest gave me a hand to fit engine, bit of a fiddle. Had to get a new battery, need to do some electric snagging as you do. Hands fobared after fitting engine bay seal. Decided to fit engine lid and new catch, wont open now so will have to sort that. Luckily it is still open a bit , looks like I can get at screw for catch.

Don’t really like to pick fault bud, but it does look like your van is sat there in the last pic with his willy hanging out :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, tidy it up mate :mrgreen:

End of polo steering rack!!! Will be hidden by bumper . Need to do a "to do" list now -----------

There you go , its got its willy warmer on. Will post pic when Imgur loads it . Ended up cutting the latch off the engine lid catch with hacksaw blade , good job have a handle for this lucky its not hard material. Punched pin out , had to drill donner catch pin out (genuine!) swopped it over and re riveted pin . Works spot on. Instrument panel fitted, heater levers in, glove box and a few other bits. Horn faulty so something else to get (bugger) but need fuel hose , motor factors will deliver tomorrow.

Still cant load pics up, my net is as slow as a 3cyl T3 . Got on fairly well today, sorted servo hose and heater cables. Waiting for fuel hose that should come tomorrow along with new horn. Had to cut through o/s rear bumper bracket to get it off , captive was broken free and bolt was so hard it just blunted my super doper drill bit. Had to reprofile both brackets as it has a incorrect rear bumper (slash cut late split? ) , it now sits at correct height and angle. Managed to get rear hatch glass in with an assistant just to push from outside as I worked the string, talking of glass a new screen is being fitted Thursday . Not many bits left to fit now, seat belts, heater pipes , silencer . Rear bumper can go on tomorrow when paint on brackets is dry, need to make some one off end brackets. Just leaves interior to finish, now thats another LIST .

Rear bumper on, still have to make end brackets. Fuel pipes sorted, new horn WORKS !!!! Found a oil pressure switch looking for something else so now have working oil light. Will get fuel tomorrow when I go food shopping so lets see what happens Thurs morning. Noticed a push rod tube seal is blown (bugger) will have to get a sprung tube, temp fix with sealer till then. Found a beetle twin quiet pack with one silencer removed in my stash, bit of cut and shut and curved section from off cut welded over hole . Has a nice flared chrome tip. Also fixed up sink drain pipe using a beetle screen air tube, right dia and length . Need to get a folding tap for the sink now .

Fuel in no leaks, motor spun over and oil light went out so gave it a few pumps on the gas and she fired up fine. Need to fix that pushrod tube seal------
Windscreen guys came and fitted new screen , they knew how to do a bay. Made a start on interior , fitted led lights and worked out where to put rear fuse box. Thats tomorrows job , putting feed to water bottle , accessory socket in rear and a cubby hole /shelf unit to make. Think a good dedust first.

Made executive decision, as run out of money to finish interior I will do what I can till furlough runs out with what I have and park her up till next year when hopefully there will be some shows to go to. At least she is now weather proof and "road worthy " , needs 2 new rear tyres , tracking , leisure battery , seat foam and front seats recovering (Golf GTI) . Will get roof lining varnished , cab section fitted , speakers installed and stuff like that that already have materials for. Have my hot rod to start on , chassis mods , body mods that I have metal for so that wont cost .

Still cant load pics (!!*****) anyway got on well making rear cubby holes , fitting speakers to R&R panel and painting it all . If the paints okay that can get installed this morning. Managed to repair ariel connections so one less thing to buy , sleeving on mast had perished but some shrink wrap fixed that. Cocked up the hole for middle roof light (stock one) still had the piece of stainless from old headlining so used that.
AS they say elephant in the room moment, yes its time to tackle front section off roof lining . Not fun on my own . Managed to get sun visors cleaned up as some plonker stuck pink paper on inside , got the glue to peal off after soaking in washing powder and a spray off Oxy Action . As I have some black vinyl paint will spray inner side to cover stains .

Bugger the ply I have to do roof liner is 1 1/2 in to short, still I have made door cards for tail gate and side door . Had to put another coat of white on so will fit the bits tomorrow. Did some other bits as well , sorted knobs on cupboards ,painted sun visors and some other little bits.
Same ***** that stuck paper to visors has opened up trim clip holes in lower section of sliding door so cant use OG clips but found some plastic push in trim clips that fit. Shame they are black as panel will be white, saying that have some plastic primer and that chrome effect paint mmmmmmmmm.

Respect - some reason I missed your thread and some nice work you have done.
Liking the rack and pinion work - hope it works out when you are driving!

Panel clips look good , finished making trim holes but have run out of paint. Shopping tomorrow so back on it Thurs, will hit the DIY store in the morning. Tried the aux electrics out with a jump lead (no leisure bat ) and radio didnt work, so after head scratching and trying a new one that worked found the fuse was missing on the back of set!!! Speakers work and now know which side the front wires go to. The list of jobs is getting smaller, parts shelf empty and just seat belts, front speakers ,mirrors and air filters left in tray. Need to get under with spanners and double check stuff then a good wax oil last thing before parking up till next year.

Rack feels fine in garage , just hope its not to positive but gear ratio is spot on and load is fine.TBH more worried that the brakes/servo work OK.

Rack feels fine in garage , just hope its not to positive but gear ratio is spot on and load is fine.TBH more worried that the brakes/servo work OK.

67panel said:
Fingers crossed for you also.
Didn't see the work you did on the brakes/servo but the work I have seen looks pretty good - wish I had somewhere dry to work in as this makes a big difference.

I was lucky , unit is £100 a month and about 4 family cars parked together in size with separate built in benches , storage space and small "attic" space. Its also my 2nd cousins house in his garden, he does mobile mechanics so its handy for some help for me and him (does some at his as well) .

Got the wood, paint and all the other bits so thats a few days work . With any luck Splif will be parked up till next year , retiring then so will get to some shows .

Will be glad to go back to work for a "rest" , arms knackered after making and fitting front roof lining. Lost count of how many times I fitted and removed it to get it right, still happy with it now and front speaker mountings made. Painting sliding door cards tomorrow , catches for rear cupboard doors and if enough time a coat of varnish on roof liner.Photos when my internet speed increases ---------

Latest posts