Splify 67 built uk panel resto

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope so , last 2 days have been spent moving and sorting . Shelving unit narrowed depth wise , shelfs cut down . Next job is making support beams for the other 2 shelfs now and the wood (3 x 2 ) is to short so will have to join it . Just hope I have some angle to make it strong enough .

well after a week of sorting unit its back to the bus, took the screen out and cracked it . Not to bothered as found spark damage in drivers view . Welded up the rot in screen corner , did this 15 odd years ago but seal never fitted tight so water got in. Stripped paint from door frames and gutters on n/s , front panel done just needs a fine sand and check. Working my way to rear and then start all over again on o/s.
jP1I57P.jpg
YdFk1Hr.jpg

tWbuLa1.jpg
well I do have all the tools, wish I could afford shrinker/stretcher and a small lathe.

The end is nigh , well filling and rubbing down. Still have to strip paint from inside doors . God knows what sort of paint was used for the white on upper body but it was as thick as filler!! so had to grind it of . Good job I have angle grinder and mini discs. Looks like the decent spraying weather wont hold out long enough but might get primer done by next Wed then its a week of flatting ------------

Nearly finished stripping paint , found front inner of drivers door rusted through bugger as cant find a repair section and its a bugger to make. Of course weather has gone cold and wet as I want to put on primer----------

made a repair panel from a late bay door step (the bit you cut off fitting one to a crossover) , its almost the correct curve just needed a pie cut and some persuasion with a body hammer !! Look no filler needed, well where it is its fine .
xIRJ1Gt.jpg

Finished removing paint, the white is so thick its like removing filler but its not all attached to the layer under and some just flaked off. The NOS side panel had to have a coat of rust cure after a DA off as like most NOS panels (got to be 50 years old) it was speckled with rust spots .
So its try and clean up all the dust to make my unit a spray booth

"Lost" 2 days as helped my youngest rewire his KTM crosser , its been made "road legal" by some smeg head that didn't know what they were doing. Threw away loads of unnecessary cable , loads of earth wire (like 8 joined together) now its just a few. Upside is he gave me hand to turn unit into temp spray booth so started throwing primer , my small spray gun playing up as its not been used for years. Had it soaking in gun wash as well for ages, saying that the primer is 4 to 1 and still a bit thick . Big gun day today so see how it goes.

Well the big gun didn't like the 2k primer, ended up using more thinner/hardener. Trouble was it just started to set and blocked gun . Had to drive to paint supplies in Glos to get more thinners, got some stopper , gloves and tack rags as well. Buy the time I got back it was okay to turn doors over and prime outer side so that's done . Think its just sliding door and engine lid left now, back on it Thurs as food shop for mum tomorrow.

So tried more thinners after spending all day flatting panels and still having spots or going through to bare , worked a treat at almost 50% primer to thinner/hardener . Flatted back nice today , still need to get some etch primer as a few high spots come through. Joys of using a DA as a bit aggressive if not careful . Have a lot to do by hand tomorrow , weathers going a bit naff so just hope it warms up again by the time I am ready for top coat.

67panel said:
Well the big gun didn't like the 2k primer, ended up using more thinner/hardener. Trouble was it just started to set and blocked gun . Had to drive to paint supplies in Glos to get more thinners, got some stopper , gloves and tack rags as well. Buy the time I got back it was okay to turn doors over and prime outer side so that's done . Think its just sliding door and engine lid left now, back on it Thurs as food shop for mum tomorrow.

Sounds like good progress. Which supplier do you use is Glos?

Middleton , good service. Right took some pics ,gave up at 3pm as hand/wrist knackered .
iHoRszv.jpg
3vBJrtJ.jpg
8qN7b6L.jpg
C9fwTcx.jpg

That o/s rear corner is a bit lumpy , looks bad due to dust sticking to it . Its like talcum powder ,recon its going to be a bitch to clean up. Gave up trying to get that corner right after 12 attempts , needs a new 1/4 TBH and if funds had allowed it would have had 2 but can be done another day . Same as it needs new cab doors but its been 3 years now and need to get it out the workshop so I can get on with the hot rod. At least it is now structurally sound .

Started the wet flat, that rear 1/4 feels ok!!! have to go back around now and check for any missed bits. Had to reprimer cab doors , ended up using a hand applicator (ok a 2ins paint brush) so a lot of sanding will be needed. Might only have a week of furlough left or might have 2 months !! will have to wait and see.

Good news have 3 more weeks off (unless they need me but doubt it ) . So managed to put some paint on this afternoon, inside of cab doors done , door shuts, sills and arches and stuff like that. Will have a hand in morning to hang doors then its engine lid, rear hatch and sliding door and a few O and S . Should get the final coats on by Sunday, have to do some bits and then wait till dry (next day) as not enough room in unit.

Well mostly green today, doors fitted and only had to make a spacer for n/s bottom hinge!! thin ali one but both line up well . Put a first coat on every thing apart from side door and out side of engine lid so hoping tomorrow to final coat .

Ran out of room to paint sliding door , job for tomorrow. Damn got runs on top of front panel (again) as not enough room to stand back, should have known better but at least there is 4 plus coats so should flat and polish up ok. Will take pics tomorrow , it was to fumy today as no extractor so cleaned gun and did a runner.

Needs a flat and polish, cab door looks dull but that's refection from plastic sheeting/spray booth. Sliding door painted and insides of A and B posts . Forgot 1/4 light bars so hope paint sticks as gave them a coat with no primer!! repo ali ones .
Q4b6LiI.jpg

FjoFPnB.jpg

Started fitting stuff back on, spent ages cleaning old paint from bolts ,catches and stuff due to very bad 90s paint job . Hoping to get side door fitted tomorrow, managed to paint inside and shut in white today. Reassembled sliding door rear mech after painting U bracket. If I can find them will fit new nylon block just because I have 2 new ones!! Need to order rubber bits like hand brake cable seal as its all rotted or missing. Feel a list coming on.

Latest posts