split vs bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonicman

Reaction score
how many people on here prefer their bay to a split honestly there are pros and cons for both i know but the media portrays the splitty as the one everyone wants, and how many people when given the info you have a van instantly say is it a splitscreen, i think all in i prefer splits but i certainly love earlybays, but i prefer early bay owners to split owners ;)

I love my bay, but If I had the money I would buy a splitty, but then I haven't owned a splitty, I know people who have and they prefer their bays

I have owned, in order:
72 bay, uk rhd, never welded
52 barndoor splitty
60 splitty
89 t25
69 bay

I think I can give an honest opinion.....
The splits were cool and got all of the looks but were cramped inside and the driving position was awkward. I would have another one but not as a family van.
The t25 was by far the best family vehicle with space, easy driving and diesel, but I felt like I was driving an 80's polo. It just wasn't for me.
The bay seems to have the best of both worlds cool to look at, reasonable space and drivability. It is a family wagen with a bit of old school cool.
As for splitty owners, I was one and some of my best mates own them. I think they all secretly wish they had an early bay Westy. :mrgreen:
I wouldn't swap it

I honestly don't fancy a split that much. A mate has a super slammed 66 samba and another mate just sold his ratty barndoor panel van which had a 2007cc turbo motor. Both are uber cool but I'd still rather drive home in my 70 westy :)

raising some good responses, i have a 58 split and am awaiting delivery of a 70 deluxe i might just keep em both so i have best of both worlds well actually best of 3 worlds as mrs has a t4 :D i totally agree about the soace issue with splits i have had walkthroughs which are really cramped, i am 6ft and 16stone so am not built for small spaces, but the bench seat splits i had were loads better but still not as comfortable as a bay and also i found the ride quality alot better than a split strangley as it had a slit beam

I will put my hand up and say I would honestly prefer a bay. Although lately I've been becoming more and more attracted to splits once again. But it would have to be a very special model to make me choose a split over a bay. I wouldn't be selling out for an 11 window standard.

I think we need to look back in the past. When the bay window was introduced in the late 60's early 70's, the split screen bus was considered to be quite dated and undesirable. Now everyone wants one.

Anyway, everyone know that early bays are the next splits. I guess that makes as all trend setters.

Have owned everything from split through to the last of line T25 so have fair range of experience :p
Splits are lovely and have a vibe all of their own (which is probably why so many of my mates run them). But... bays drive sooo much better unless you spend a small fortune on the split. And the driving position is comfier (much comfier if it's a walk through split. And ever noticed just how rammed into the corner the passenger is on those :shock: ). And the wipers work properly. And there's more space. It's just all betterer but still with that 'old school' feel :D
T25s drive like a mk2 golf. On the downside, they feel like a mk2 golf. But the space is awesome (more than a T4!) and you can daily one happily.
Still want another split one day but right now am really happy with the bay (and the cash we paid would barely have covered a project split :lol: ), I'd far rather have a bus on the road than a half built split in the garage 8)

I had a 64 split window for a while but I can honestly say I like the feel of a bay windows better.
I'm 6' 6" tall and weigh over 260 lbs so I fit a bay with it's extra room much better.
And of course there there is no comparison on the ride between the two!
I also like front windows that roll up and that you can hang your arm out of,
Wipers that actually work, no reduction boxes, a defroster and heater that sort of works.
Don't get me wrong split window buses are cool but in my case I much prefer my bay window!

I have a 64 split and a 70 Westy Bay. I thought I'd never have a bay, split was the only way to go. Then I found Wes at a Pic n Pull (place where one can go pull their own parts off of cars), and just had to rescue him. It was more because it was a Westy then a bay. Now after having him for almost a year, and probably putting more miles on him then my split, I have to say, I love Bay windows! LOL

I have owned the split for probably 12 years or so. I drove it right after it became mine, then it got parked after about a month. It sat till about 2 years ago when I decided it would make an excellent horse hauler. I have miniature horses. So I drove it and still do from time to time, to the stables and back. Other then that, it doesn't get driven much. Since the weather has started to get nice ( no rain), I have been driving it pretty much all the time.

So I say I like my split. It is fun to drive from time to time. But, I love driving my Bay Westy! :D

ive always wanted a split panelvan and often pondered on selling my early to fund one...but it would have to be some kind of wonderful to make me sell...ive had a t25 an lt 28 and about 5 late bays { :oops: ] including a cali import westy the earlys always seem to be just one step beyond reach untill now this is my second early and its the best of the bunch ..is it a keeper...yes . definitely :D .. possibly ... :? choices, choices .. ;) ive just discoverd one of the moustache bar bushes has chucked its hand in.......so its going.. :lol: ....... :mrgreen:

I like splits a lot but being tall makes them uncomfortable to drive for me.

I wouldnt mind a really nice T3 (25) wedge either. I like them all.

Defo a bay for me, love the room and the general style is cleaner in my eyes. 8)

I couldn't decide what I wanted when I brought Rosie . So I brought a splitbay and got the best of both worlds

Splits are for hair gel using posing scene kids in tight jeans and aliry trainers that think everything has to be scraping along the ground and handle like a turd.

Having driven a large wadge of different vans, splits are just a bit cack handed and small for me, Bays are a much comfier drive everything is much better laid out in relation to the pedals and steering column etc.

I have only had a bay 72 crossover so its all i know, but at 6' 4" i sat in a friends and it was far too cramped for me, i think if i had another volkswagen it would go with my bus and would be a ghia or a type 34, having sat in my friends split i know they are not for me, as cool as they look.

And more important for me was that i got a nice westy weekender, like somebody else said, for me westy was more important, and my 72 bay fits me fine

Early Bay :mrgreen:
Had the choice when i baught mine.
Chose EB's cos theyre better :mrgreen:

I love my split but equally loved my bay too.
But I got to admit the split has the edge for me. Going to keep the crewie forever. Now the boys are older and getting a bit big for a camper we've gone back to a tent, in a few years when we can go away by ourselves I'm going to get a split tin top to sleep in.

This is such a dumb question... EVERYONE knows people only buy EBs because they can't afford a split. Well that's what I tell people anyway.

Latest posts