standard exhaust - gap between exhaust and heat exchanger

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluesnailman

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Changed a pretty old but well fitting exhaust at the weekend as it was blowing a little. However, the 'gap' between the new exhaust and the heat exchangers seems to have grown ever so slightly and now the original clamps are not quite providing a seal or connection that I'm completely happy with.

have others had this problem and any recommendations on a pipe that I can squeeze in without a full dismantle?

cheers

Not sure if this is of any help but -

My bus was fitted with a mild steel non standard exhaust and stainless box to go with the twin carb set up I have.

The exhaust/manifold blew a hole recently on the way to The only way is Essex meet so I purchased a stainless exhaust and manifold from JK.

I'm an enthusiastic bodger with spanners and once it was all bolted together nothing seemed to seal properly until a much clever person than me advised me to start off by loosely fitting all components and once happy torque everything properly tight starrting from the engine and work towards the rear silencer checking for fit and seal as you go. Makes sense I guess ......

Worked very well for me!

I had this problem and it caused blowing from the gap. It's the crappy aftermarket exhaust boxes they sell these days.

In the end I bought a stainless exhaust tube from halfords and used a couple of jubilee clips to seal it properly at each end.

Someone said they had used a cut down coke can but the metal was too thin for me.

Hope ths helps.

I had this problem and used the aluminium hose cut into small sections and clamped in each side to secure. Worked well. I have beetle heat exchangers so didn't know if that was the reason for the larger gap.

I know this is an old thread but i just had this issue on a beetle and was advised to pick open the crimped seams on the exhaust heater pods and reshape to fit but this ended up with huge gaps everywhere and would have needed welding and looked a mess. I ended up removing the heater pods that go from the heat exchanger through the tinware and clamping fresh air hose straight on to the heat exchanger then carefully moulding it around the exhaust tubes so it was close but not touching and straight up to the fanhousing. My bay has a 4 into 1 header and no pods so this has to be done and the heaters work great and this is essentially the same thing and looks tidy with no gaps for air to escape.

Latest posts