Starter panic

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluelighttaxidriver

Reaction score
Help please....!!!!!

Spent all week t-cutting and polishing my '71 bay, as am taking my best friend to his wedding on Saturday.
Today, the bl**dy thing won't start.
First off, turned the key, slight pause, then the starter turned. Turned off to check, now nothing. No solenoid click, no starter.
Bumps & runs perfectly, so fine there.
Here's what I've found so far.....
Had a really scrappy relay wired in line at the starter. Nothing like that shown on any wiring diagram. Took that off & wired as per diagrams. Still nothing.
Got the constant live to solenoid ok as usual.
Got no live feed to the other terminal when ignition is at start. Dash lights all ok, so feed ok there. So I assume an ignition switch problem.....
To double check, I bridge the solenoid from the live terminal, to the switched live. Believe the solenoid should click & turn. Nothing either....
Blind panic now, & run out of daylight to try things. Novelty of laying under the van with rain running down my neck has worn off too, so have to admit defeat for tonight.
I have maybe an hour or so first thing tomorrow to try any suggestions, then, if no joy, will just have to take the daily runner on our treck from Cornwall to Kent....

The only thing I've done recently was kept the ignition on so as to have the stereo on whilst polishing. Did disconnect the coil feed so as to not damage that, but could anything else have been damaged....?

If I could have any new ideas to check or bypass, would save a p***ed off groom to be.....

Many thanks. Steve.

Have you tried smacking the solinoid with a hammer in case it is jammed... or alternatively putting the bus into 2nd gear and rocking it back and forwards to achieve the same thing?

Also give the battery a good charge as the starter needs a good kick of amps to turn the engine over.

check out the earth returns on the battery and engine. To test this run a jump lead from the body of the starter or gearbox to the battery neg and try again.

If it starts this is your problem, if it makes no difference, come back here and I'll either have thought of something else, or someone else will reply.

.. just in case it helps ..

the relay that had been fitted sounds like a common mod used when the voltage drop through the ignition circuit is too much to turn switch the solenoid ..

.. if it was me the fact that this 'mod' had been done suggests previous problems with the ignition circuit .. I would check this circuit first as i would suggest it may be at fault ..

Hilly

Many thanks so far. Just having a bite to eat, then will see what a jump start does....
Just one thing though, seem to remember jumping with electric ignition is an issue. That right...?
Have "tapped" the solenoid, so that's covered. Will check the other bits too.
Please keep thinking, & will let you know ref jump... :?

check all the conections are clean and secure, remove the large cables cleans the crimp contact surfaces.

have you tried the earth leads?

If possible try tapping solinoid and turning key at same time, (you need 2 people)
Mine played up like this for a while and this was the ONLY way to start it sometimes!

as others have said check all leads/cables, mines had the engine out in the last week and I crused the bloody thing as nothing was on the end of the key, turned out to be one of the cables going to the starter, changed the end and it works

Thanks for your help everyone. Been outside since seven this morning. Still none the wiser. Have to admit defeat & take the normal car... :evil:
Checked everything suggested, & here's where we're at....
Took the starter off. With jump leads, connected battery to large connector & earthed body. Jumped across from smaller +ve to large +ve. Starter jumped out & turned with two goes, then nothing again.....
Still doesn't explain the lack of power out from the ignition switch when turned to the start position....
Two options....
Ignition barrel has failed for some reason. Got constant live to it, & the first position gives power to the van as normal. (Horn, lights, radio etc).
In parallel... Starter has chosen this exact moment too to pack up.....
Do I just bite the credit card & order starter & barrel, or am I still missing something obvious...? Earths are good. Connectors are fine.
Will be away from my pc this weekend, but please give me some ideas for next week.... :?
Many thanks again.

I had a very similiar problem to this, thought it was the starter. Sometimes it would start and sometimes it was dead. Sometimes hitting it seemed to work. Anyway, I replaced the starter but the problem was still there.
Eventually I tracked down the problem to a worn ignition barrel. It would only start once the key was fully turned and then carefully manipulated in the barrel.

Definitely worth looking at ;) .

I think what I would do next if I suspected the barrell is ..

Check out which two terminals on the barrell make up the starter circuit and fit a non latching switch so you can press it to simulate key turn ..

.. If it works stick to it for a few days till your sure ..

I'd also try some switch cleaner in the switch block ..

Just some suggestions matey

hilly

Ended up replacing both the starter and ignition switch. Both were malfunctioning in their own right, so just seemed easier.
Starts perfectly now anyway... :D
Thanks for everyone's help. This forum has always been invaluable.

Latest posts