Starting problem

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robo

Reaction score
Can any one tell me why my engine won't turn over sometimes (it's worse when hot)
It's had new starter
New ignition switch
New ignition wire to starter
All earths cleaned
And new bush for starter in bell housing
Any ideas -nothing when key is turned only ignition lights
Cheers rob

What condition and capacity is your main battery in? If its tired and old its output may be reduced - especially when hot!
We have just replaced our main battery for this exact reason - were having hot engine starting problems.
Now we have a lovely big fresh battery in there no more issues

When you say you get nothing sometimes, does the starter click, engine try to crank, or just nothing happens at all? If nothing at all, this is a sure fire sign of the starter solenoid beginning to fail.

Hi ya thanks for that, I will get battery tested.this has been going on for years and can't get to the bottom of it. The strange thing is when I use a temporary feed from battery to starter it works every time? It's so random but defiantly seems to not start more when hot? There is just nothing no sound at all ? It's had three starter motors thinking this may have been the cause .it currently has a expensive heavy duty bosh one. Bush in bell housing done as well.

Might be worth giving this thread a read and maybe installing a hot start relay as described in one of the posts
At least then you can guarantee the starter is getting the full hit no matter what

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=57892" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also you could just make one yourself - see the attached images

diagram.jpg

starter_relay.jpg

Let us know what your battery results are :D

Latest posts