Starting the bus

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevoski

Reaction score
After having a new carb fitted and a service new points, rotor arm, ht leads plugs, filters etc I'm having trouble starting my bay. Service was done by a v.w restorer and when I drove it away it was running lovely. Have tried to jump start it thinking it might be battery have charged battery and seems fine. I also one got a few electrical problems indicators and windscreen wipers now not working and when I put hazard lights on the fuel needle moves to the tic. Would love to get bus running need to start camping. Please Help. cheers.

Hi there,
What is actually happening when you try to start it? (if anything).

Is this all happening since it was worked on? if so you should get them to sort it?

Have you cleaned/checked the fuses?

Just a few thoughts :D

Hi when I try to start it turns over but won't fire up, I've been in contact with garage and they have been out and got it started blaming freezing inlet manifold and battery. Since they got it restarted I have checked my earths as indicators not working and since that it won't start again. Will be phoning garage again tomorrow but just wondered if anything simple I did checking earths could of effected it.

Thanks kev

Sounds like your not getting 12v at the coil or if you are the points aren't right and the gaps to close it won't release the high voltage. Take the 12v feed off the coil and check for the volts, even simpler the feed should also turn on the fuel stop solenoid on the carb and the auto choke, with the ignition on in second posistion you should have volts. If not check you have volts at the ignition, also check volts from any 30 ( it think ) that's the feed from the battery. Also check indicator fuse if the bulbs been out with the ignition on pop

Cheers...I now have indicators and windscreen wipers by replacing all fuses and using long nose pliers to gently squeeze top and bottom of some of the dodgy carriers. Still no starting but going to check 12v at coil and points tomorrow. Points look like they are touching but check tomorrow thanks everyone. :shock:

The points should open and close that's what causes the spark read this on how to set them up it's really easy,

http://www.vw-resource.com/tune-up.html#distributor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Half way there mark just the starting problem now :roll: glad your gradually sorting it
cheers shaun(opposite your Dad :) )

Not sure this will help or not but I picked my bus up from a garage and it was running sweet then a few days it started to run really rough and taking a while to start up, finally found the fault and it was the dizzy that hadn't been tightened up and it was slowly dropping down from its position. Might be worth a check

Problem now solved......bus went back to garage and they fitted a totally new distributor and everything they did was taken off and replaced smartened up the electrics and now seems to be starting...fingers crossed. I am in need of a new inlet manifold as due to this cold weather seems to be affecting the running. But should be ok for the summer so roll on... Thanks to everyone for your input a new question is coming up.

Latest posts