Steering box oil fill cap?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smalltime_hillbilly

Reaction score
Hey eventually managed to get the pitman arm off my steering box to remove it (using a £5 from ebay no less ;) ) and drained all the old oil/grease/crap that was inside, im ready to fill with fresh oil but the little red bung is completely u/s.
does anyone know where i can get a new cap?

I have the same problem. For now I am using a plug I made from cork (wine bottle)...

Just like to bump this up again. Would it be an idea to make one from Teflon on a lathe? Would anyone have the dimensions of the original plug?

I think 'KeithH' on this forum : http://blunderbus.proboards.com

had some but for late bays - I don't know if these are a different size

What about a 3D printer ?? Anyone got access to one maybe ??? So long as the entry nose of the plug was made a tad too wide so it didn`t pop out.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Pie in the sky perhaps ?

Thanks chaps. Don't know if early and late bay steering box caps are the same. Does anyone know?

Regarding 3D Printer: I don't know enough about the materials they can "print". I just thought Teflon would work well and can be easily machined on a lathe.

@hobbo: Great. Thanks so much for doing this. Much appreciated. Next time you are in the garage, would you mind measuring again and letting us know the dimensions? I would then try to get some machined from Teflon. If would of course share the result here.

Unless of course anyone knows a source where these caps can be bought.

Cheers

Stefan

i ended up using a pipe blank from work

clearly not right but its a tight fit and wont budge, will keep searching for places to get caps from though, they must be available!

Hi here are the measurements I have been able to obtain. The whole plug is 12mm in length including the top flange, the flange itself is 20mm across,
the plug part which goes inside the steering box has an outer diameter of 15mm, and inner diameter of 12mm. Hope this is of some help, Mike.

Hi Mike,

Thanks so much. Most helpful. As soon as I have a bit of time I will try to get some made from Teflon and report back.

Stefan

Update: Good news: Finally had some prototypes made from Teflon. They appear to be an excellent fit. I have had a groove made for an o-ring (as per the original which Mike was kind enough to mail to me so the shop who made them could take exact measurements) but I have installed one on my steering box without any o-ring and I think it will work just fine (due to it's tapered shape). The Teflon has just the right amount of "give" to make it pop on and off with just the right amount of force. Of course it can always be upgraded with the o-ring. I will be sending one plug/cap to Mike and will be testing one on my own bus. If they work as I think it will I can have more made and sell them at cost. At this prototype stage I paid about six Euros a pieces but that price will come down if I get more made.

Stefan

P.S. My Version of the cap doesn't have a spring and I am confident it wont need one either.

Hi I would like to buy one of these when available please.
Regards Dan

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Latest posts