Steering box, parts or replacement

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen that Just Kampers stock refurbished steering boxes now... was considering one myself. Wonder if they are BBT versions too or JK get them refurbished elsewhere?

I need to get my steering box sorted for the MOT at the end of the month.
Where is the best place to get one from?

If there are issues with getting parts why hasn't anyone came up with an alternative? A rack and pinion steering conversion like you can get for splitscreens

I've got a "new" steering box. Can't tell you what it's like as it's still in the box it was sent in.

Apparently they're not brilliant and need frequent adjustment, but I won't find out until it gets fitted.
Just so theres no confusion the 'new' box that Sparky has is a late bay box and only available in LHD, the chassis still needs modifying but not as much as fitting an original Late Bay Box, we run one on the Sunroof Deluxe and in fact are on our second one, they need adjustment straight out of the box and need constant adjustment, if used a lot life expectancy of 2-3 years.

JK are now offering rebuilt boxes in LHD & RHD format, Ive asked them who is building them for them but they are refusing to tell me even though I'm a trade customer??, I suspect they are built by N2 engineering who also rebuild boxes at a similar price but once again I'm not aware that they have had new worms made.

So its clear we can supply all the parts to rebuild the steering box yourselves (except the worm due to reasons mentioned previously in the thread), we can even supply a full kit of parts with instructions so if you are good with spanners etc its a DIY job, the kit is now £149 plus delivery.

I need to get my steering box sorted for the MOT at the end of the month.
Where is the best place to get one from?

If there are issues with getting parts why hasn't anyone came up with an alternative? A rack and pinion steering conversion like you can get for splitscreens
All the parts apart from the worms are currently available, people have carried out their own steering rack conversion, Darius & Mycha on this forum for 2 I know of, its a case of finding a suitable centre fed rack, you simply cant use any rack with short tie rod ends as it creates bump steer due to the way the trailing arm on the front beam works.

Theres a few racks around that work, MK3 Astra, Peugeot 106/Citreon Saxo etc, Creative Engineering who make the splitty one did make a bay version but it hung too low due to the chassis differences on a bay and eventually removed it from sale. Neil at Litesteer has mentioned it a few times but again nothing has come to the market yet.

The other issue besides the rack is finding a good bevel box to turn the steering through nearly 90 degrees at the bottom of the column, at the moment the steering box does this for you, with a steering rack you need a separate bevel box and whilst people have used the one from the T25 they are in short supply and only available secondhand

Just so theres no confusion the 'new' box that Sparky has is a late bay box and only available in LHD, the chassis still needs modifying but not as much as fitting an original Late Bay Box, we run one on the Sunroof Deluxe and in fact are on our second one, they need adjustment straight out of the box and need constant adjustment, if used a lot life expectancy of 2-3 years.

JK are now offering rebuilt boxes in LHD & RHD format, Ive asked them who is building them for them but they are refusing to tell me even though I'm a trade customer??, I suspect they are built by N2 engineering who also rebuild boxes at a similar price but once again I'm not aware that they have had new worms made.

So its clear we can supply all the parts to rebuild the steering box yourselves (except the worm due to reasons mentioned previously in the thread), we can even supply a full kit of parts with instructions so if you are good with spanners etc its a DIY job, the kit is now £149 plus delivery.
Hi Graham, thank you for your continued helpful advice. Do you have acceptable wear tolerance measurements of the worm drive?

Latest posts