Steering box ..

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hilly_70

Reaction score
Anyone ever had one work great then suddenly just lock up tight with ahuge metalic grating noise?

Not stripped it yet .. just wondered what to expect if anyone else has had it.

Cheers

Hilly

Not had it myself, but if it was that quick, I`m guessing you may have lost the face off of your peg and it`s jammed up in the worm. For other peoples future reference, check out what sort of lube it has in there, ie is it heavy oil or grease or new liquid grease or nuffink :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, They`re hard enough to source as it is , innit :?
Code:

Cheers Ozzie ..

Ive only had it fitted 2 years too .. a good original, cleaned up checked and painted with fresh oil in it ..

.. Maybe if id left it dirty and original it would still be alive! :)

If I`s just the peg, then it may be salvageable , it`s the worm that is the impossible bit to get made because of the set up costs I`m guessing. Before you pull the box off, just check that it ain`t something stupid like something caught up somewhere perhaps even in the column or idler or anything really .

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :mrgreen:

So .. The verdict was ...

Was deffo box as I'd disconnected the arm and column and the box was jammed..

When I took it off and emptied the oil it was swiftly followed by roller bearings ..

So it seems the bearings holding the peg into the shaft arm failed .. Then fell into the worm and peg, damaging both significantly .. Stripped threads at top of peg and caused some edge damage to work.

I knew these were scarce but jeez .. Can't find any!

Fortunately I have a second one that is a bit worn (hence I changed it for the better one) which will keep me going until I find one ..

So if anyone has one .... Thought not.. ;)

Hilly

You may not want to do this but if you do or are left with no option, a good few people have fitted late bay box's.

Might be the only long term solution ..

I can't see anything else on the horizon for reproduction ..

I'll stick with a worn one for a while and see what comes up :)

Hi, I've got one that I've never got round to advertising. It's got play but I drove around with it for years so don't know how bad in comparison with others.
I've got a red9 setup instead now, let me know if you are interested.

Latest posts