Storage question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swartie

Reaction score
I am going travelling next year and need to store my van. I have managed to find someone who rents out shipping containers which is plenty big enough.

As i will be away for a year anything i should look out for when storing her. I will be diconeccting both batteries. but not sure what else i should do.

cheers

swartie said:
I have managed to find someone who rents out shipping containers which is plenty big enough.

are you taking it with you? :D

you can rent council garages pretty cheap, fone your local authority.

Leave it on axle stands if you can, windows ajar, handbrake off. Get is washed, polished and dry before you stash it. Empty as much out as you can (bedding etc) empty any water tanks. Get a cover for it too?
Set some mouse/rat poison down in the container, too.
Remove the lt lead to the dissy too. Itll make you get the oil pressure up before running it when you come back to it.

Johnnyâ„¢ said:
swartie said:
I have managed to find someone who rents out shipping containers which is plenty big enough.

are you taking it with you? :D

you can rent council garages pretty cheap, fone your local authority.

Ha ha i wish,

thanks for all the advice. axle stands huh, good dea on the rat poison. will have to make sure i got all those things. i was thinking of getting a cover for it but then i thought what is the point of leaving windiows open if you have a cover over it.

i was thinking of getting a cover for it but then i thought what is the point of leaving windiows open if you have a cover over it.

I dont know how waterproof those containers are.... but a cover is belt and braces, I guess.
Leave windows ajar to let the van breathe/air. Condensation kills!

Get in wax injected before storage, in all the cavities, and the under neath. It'll keep it preserved.

Lob in a few desicant bags, absorb any moisture in the atmosphere, should be able to get em free from electronics companies when they open their shipping containers.

Or instead of those little packets just use a big bowl of salt as it absorbs the moisture in the same sort of way :D Knew those books of knowledge would come in usefull one day :wink:

Remember though salt is corrosive...if anything happens salt and rat piss not a great combination..

If you go to a warehouse you can get those great big bags of desicant they use in shipping containers etc...

infact i think you can buy them in JK though there not as industrial and come with a container to disguise what they are...

Latest posts