Stu & Clare Present Murphy - Aircooled Campout 2020 Pics

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
StuF said:
Hi mate - getting there with the window refurb

I did a bit of reading regarding fuel hose and eventually went for this stuff

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380723485361" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its 5.6mm ID SAE J30 R9 Fuel Hose VW and although not "cheap" its the best on the market as far as I can tell

Straightforward to install and will be great for a couple of years now

Fuel filter came from here - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150560856325" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cant wait for our Euro trip!

Messy.com :lol:

Thanks for that mate, when I get my bus back I'm gonna check the hose, see what condition it looks in. If there is any doubt I'll be getting the same stuff you have...as I know when you do a job, you do it properly with the best available.
Ordering a spare clutch and throttle cable shortly too, in prep for our Euro trip :D

--------------------------------------Own a Bay?....... Feel the love!

StuF said:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380723485361" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its 5.6mm ID SAE J30 R9 Fuel Hose VW and although not "cheap" its the best on the market as far as I can tell

Fuel filter came from here - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150560856325" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well, I bought exactly the same stuff, not from Volksbolts, but from Advanced Fluid Solutions, and you look back through my thread, you'll see how long it's been on - about 12 months. This is what I found the other day:

And this only a year old :shock:

So i can't recommend what i have fitted, which supposedly is the best rated stuff? So what now?

Alistair

aogrady said:
StuF said:

Well, I bought exactly the same stuff, not from Volksbolts, but from Advanced Fluid Solutions, and you look back through my thread, you'll see how long it's been on - about 12 months. This is what I found the other day:

And this only a year old :shock:

So i can't recommend what i have fitted, which supposedly is the best rated stuff? So what now?

Alistair

12 months old that's shocking :shock:

omg thats shocking thats only a year old,i bought some new fuel line from machine 7 over the winter looked good stuff but suppose that did when it was new :shock:

lemonyellow said:
omg thats shocking thats only a year old,i bought some new fuel line from machine 7 over the winter looked good stuff but suppose that did when it was new :shock:

Dito,
I'll be keeping an eye on mine as was told this stuff was tiptop!

Cheers for the information on the fuel hoses - to be honest its something I will be keeping a close eye on now! The hose I removed was in really good shape with no cracks or visible degradation so fingers crossed this will last the summer with no issues!

Well today I decided to replace the old leisure battery with a bigger unit ready for our summer trips and thought I would get on with starting the second louvred window. I got loads of info on leisure batteries from Foz and Sparkywig - thanks for all the help fellas.

I managed to find one in Halfords that is rated quite highly and comes with a 2 year warranty all for £89! Bargain!
Its a tight fit but snug is good in my book!

Out with the old 75ah one and in with the new 115ah

Some pics of todays fun

Old & New

VscT2.jpg

Specs

RaXjf.jpg

1RTK8.jpg

Had to install it with the terminals inboard

Cd1B8.jpg

Clamped down nice and tight

h427s.jpg

Took out the second louvred window for more fun and games polishing

aA1Bz.jpg

Seals were gone on this side too

yZK53.jpg

9Mm3f.jpg

Didn't take me very long to reduce it to lengths of crusty aluminium this time - should be back in by Wednesday!

gpcWS.jpg

8)

who? said:
Nice, watching with interest!!

Plenty of progress pictures please Stu

No worries mate - will try and take a few!

I have found the best way of getting the aluminium cleaned up is a three stage process.
After stripping them down and removing all the old brittle seals and carefully cleaning up the glass I have found it best to
Firstly, wash all the aluminium parts in water and wet sand them with 400 & 600 grit paper.
This gets off lots of the crap and corrosion and provides a decent key for the polish to cut into

Secondly I have been passing them over an abrasive polishing wheel using a fairly hard compound polish to cut through the oxidisation.
This is the bit that takes the most time and to be honest I dont have the patience to go for a perfect finish all over the aluminium parts.
Would be there for weeks doing that - couple of passes over each part is enough for me just to bring it up nicely.

Finally I put on some liquid metal polish and again pass the parts over a less abrasive mop to bring up the shine. Takes me about a day to do all the aluminium parts before reassembly.

Sure it will be all worth it when I am finished! :msn4:

Nice progress Stu. As a pointer for the window seals....when I bought my bus the guy had just replaced all the louvre seals and had left the rubber seals slightly longer as he said the rubber tends to shrink within the first few months. Not sure how true that is, but may be worth considering when replacing. Can always be trimmed off at a later date.

That leisure battery looks a monster, and at such a good price too for its specs! (Unusual for Halfrauds to be so cheap)
Im a big believer in you get what you pay for, I just hope that battery lives up to expectations bro, but like you've stated, your covered by 2 years at least!

Windows look fab!....shiney shiney is always good in my books!! :mrgreen:

Cheers Foz,

Looked at a few batteries - especially recommended ebay/amazon sellers but with some of the issues a few peeps have had with them we decided to go with the Hafrauds option for ease of return, its only 10mins down the road! And couldn't complain about the price either!

Ahead of me today is a several hours of polishing aluminium - winner! :lol:

Yeh I hear what your saying mate, but bear in mind a lot of those reportedly bad battery issue reviews are caused by misuse of the battery and improper maintenance care.
My particular battery got totally slated in reviews, yet I've had no problems as yet, but perhaps I take more proper care of it?...or maybe I've just been lucky so far! :lol:

Its vitally important to run the battery as low as possible...especially the first time round so that ALL the cells discharge fully, then get recharged....
When you only half use a battery then recharge it, half the cells arent being used at all and after so long become redundant. ....thus you only effectively have half a working battery, which obviously then doesnt hold charge for very long, subsequently requiring charging more often. (Cue the poor reviews)

Typical of your average mobile phone battery really....most people charge their phones even when there is half the charge left in it.....battery killer right there!

The key to long battery life is to run the battery down as much as possible before recharging, which is obviously difficult when on say a long road trip, as your alternator is recharging everytime your on the move

I'd always recommend after a road trip to run the battery right down before giving it a fresh full charge in the garage.

Right ho - windows all done!

Didnt take many photos as it was pretty much the same as the other one!
However my internal seals and new knobs have arrived so the jobbie is properly finished now.

Next week I will be intending to sort out the fuel gauge as per my other post

Some pics of this weeks progress

New internal louvred window seals

1skDH.jpg

wZX6y.jpg

Nice new knob - oohh er! :lol: Notice the shine on the frame compared to the OG Fly screen frame(which is untouched) as yet!

1qjVX.jpg

:D

If I recall you mention an issue with your shocks rubbing on your beam ?
I think you probably need your lower arms modding, I think radish can do these for you, it involve maching the shoulder of the lowere damper mount back a it and re drilling, taping and fitting the stud. You them prob need some small spacers on the top mount at a guess.
I thing Graham has had similar issues.

Latest posts