Stu & Clare Present Murphy - Aircooled Campout 2020 Pics

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well we made it no issues 80 odd miles to the campsite - awful weather last night but nice today!

Now spending the day at Alton Towers!

Hello everyone - I am finally back from my lovely 4 month holiday in Afghanistan!

Its a relief to be back home with the wifelet and dogs.

Been fettling with both my vehicles since returning -
Mighty Bora was dead as a dodo after Clare "forgot" to start it every couple of weeks so needed charging up and now works great
Murphy was all wrapped up and started on the second turn of the key - big thanks to the battery charger we had fitted!

Now that I am back I have lots of little jobbies to do before we can get away in him again!

Here is my immediate list - although I may add some more jobs as I find them

Remove, refurb and refit both Westie Louvred Windows
Replace fuel hose with fresh and replace the plastic fuel filter with a tempered glass one
Investigate the "slamwerks" front beam issue where it is scoring my RHS front shock
Remove and replace old leisure batt with a new higher AH one - cheers Wiggy and Foz for all the help choosing the correct one
Sort out getting the underside waxoiled/cavity waxed/protected
Fit "EarlyBay" sticker - DONE
Fit "BuddyBox" sticker - DONE
Investigate and fix non working fuel gauge
Install dash clock

Bet I have forgotten loads however will add to it when I remember

Some pics for you peeps - we all like pics

My bedspace in Kandahar

Sfdkt.jpg

Local Scenery

uNohZ.jpg

Me on guard

HQmds.jpg

Waiting for me when I got home - my new jack and axle stands (slight difference from the Halfords one I had been using)

pD21r.jpg

ZB5ct.jpg

EBay special polishing wheel for the westie window refurb

Hb4rZ.jpg

Seal kits x 2

fUV8L.jpg

Stickers fitted - cheers Paul

T1fu7.jpg

New EarlyBay one installed

fpIsZ.jpg

Cheeky bit of solar action coming to a show near us!

EiHDz.jpg

Will take more pics when I get the windows out! Actually looking forward to shining them up!

Good to see you back safe stu.
look forward to seeing the windows polished up
catch you at a show soon mate

Welcome back Stu. Glad to hear you arrived safely.

Holiday sounded great. You must give the details of that hotel. Didn't miss much in Stinkonshire. It's still flat, cold and miserable. A little like my wife. :msn4:

aspro said:
Welcome back Stu. Glad to hear you arrived safely.

Holiday sounded great. You must give the details of that hotel. Didn't miss much in Stinkonshire. It's still flat, cold and miserable. A little like my wife. :msn4:

:shock: :lol:

Cheers fellas - have some BIG and WIDE plans coming to fruition soon but will keep everyone posted

Nice to be back - Afghan sucks 8)

Glad you made it back safely :D

After four months out there do you get a good bit of time off now?

Looks like you have a few jobs to do and the new jack and axle stands look just the job.

Welcome back dude 8)

Good luck with them windows! Best advise I can give is get a professional to do the polishing! I wasted many hours before I passed the job on to a fella with the right kit tools/experience! You will probably find some surface rust on the window recess too that will need attacking before they go back in.

Afternoon all - well I have commenced the westie window refurb!

Crikey this is going to take weeks, CreationBlue your not wrong!! I have decided to just go for a slight spruce up with all fresh seals rather than aim for a mirror finish! Its an epic task!

Also found a small area of crusty rust when I removed the first window so will sort that too!

Will post some pics of efforts in a week or so :lol:

Well have given up for today - have sore hands from rubbing the aluminum down with wet and dry!

Here are a few pics of todays fun and games

Westie Window - all OG seals perished and leaky

HNkxP.jpg

jtP6l.jpg

Dull and corroded after 44 years

FNM6d.jpg

X71LT.jpg

Saw pitting everywhere when I started to look

noFmT.jpg

GwONH.jpg

Came out really easily and is surprisingly light

WTeKc.jpg

Glad the weather was good

TDa0w.jpg

Small amount of corrosion to sort

Ao3Oh.jpg

Now to the strip down

58Yis.jpg

Old seals were hard and brittle

cuMkf.jpg

JK9QU.jpg

coWFp.jpg

kpd14.jpg

Came to pieces pretty easily

TIJki.jpg

SQVa3.jpg

oltdM.jpg

The frames really were dirty

9tUB4.jpg

ZbM6G.jpg

bzAX9.jpg

My polishing wheel assembled ready for action

UO7qG.jpg

Before and after - not too bad for an hours work!!!

lWLOg.jpg

After several more hours polishing I called it a day and thought I would replace my fuel lines and filter

Old fuel filter - doing a good job but wanted to fit a toughened glass one due to its location in the engine bay
(if it were underneath I would never change it)

AvzU9.jpg

Nice new glass one!

y2lhf.jpg

While I was there I replaced all the fuel lines - wasnt a tough job and the old hose was in great order but wanted to install the newer type for piece of mind especially for this years Spa trip

0ZGjP.jpg

Jobbies for tomorrow - continue polishing aluminum, replace battery terminal with a fresh item to try and solve a dicky connection and fingers crossed sort the small amount of corrosion out on the westie window opening. :D

Hi Stu,

A tip I used when putting the glass back in the frames was to leave the ali strips on top of a hot radiator as this helped to expand and open the slots a little. They were extremely tight and this made a difference.

Nick

Ps good luck with the polishing :lol:

Nice work so far Stu. May look into replacing my fuel hoses too in prep for the upcoming Scotland and Spa trips. Which hose is best fella?

--------------------------------------Own a Bay?....... Feel the love!

Hi mate - getting there with the window refurb

I did a bit of reading regarding fuel hose and eventually went for this stuff

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380723485361" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its 5.6mm ID SAE J30 R9 Fuel Hose VW and although not "cheap" its the best on the market as far as I can tell

Straightforward to install and will be great for a couple of years now

Fuel filter came from here - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150560856325" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cant wait for our Euro trip!

Messy.com :lol:

Welcome back Stu. Read this thread again from the beginning last night, it's very cool.
Your bus looks amazing! And kudos for tackling the windows, I've heard they're a nightmare.

Cheers for all the kind words - Murphy isnt a shiny bus but he is ours, warts and all!

Well today the window went back in, what a bloody nightmare that was!
After giving the aluminum a decent going over, replacing all the seals with nice new ones it did not want to fit back into the hole!

Oh well after some assisitance from my kind neighbour all was good - not a job I would want to attempt on a nice freshly painted model either!

Here are some pics of me getting to this (halfway) stage! Still have the other to do :shock: Next week for that one!

Before and after side window trims

bqx8v.jpg

Many an hour sat here - polishing wheel being replaced with fresh mop before next window!

1yWQS.jpg

New seals to be slowly fitted to the louvres

gGKIl.jpg

My secret - GARDEN PEGS!

EKTSn.jpg

One down, two to go

bURPw.jpg

Easy as that :shock:

R1I8Z.jpg

Rebuilding the frame

Uw8r7.jpg

jqXvs.jpg

All done! Check the time!

Uaepy.jpg

Not flawless but perfect for Murphy

6jwns.jpg

TWiPw.jpg

Back on the bus

JGlYZ.jpg

IV021.jpg

K9lbA.jpg

Seeing tax discs are going the way of the dodo thought I would get a "period" one - not sure what PC Plod will think but the genuine "in date" one is behind it!

Ob5MT.jpg

That is all for now!

Beer oclock time me thinks 8)

Latest posts