Stu & Clare Present Murphy - Aircooled Campout 2020 Pics

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
*Sam* said:
If I recall you mention an issue with your shocks rubbing on your beam ?
I think you probably need your lower arms modding, I think radish can do these for you, it involve maching the shoulder of the lowere damper mount back a it and re drilling, taping and fitting the stud. You them prob need some small spacers on the top mount at a guess.
I thing Graham has had similar issues.

Cheers Sam - you are correct there is a slight rub and its on my ( :msn4: long :msn4: ) list of jobs to do

Will get it sorted in the end :D

No worries bud if it is what I have suggested it's not a massive job to sort out.

Well today I decided to sort out the rubbish looking top locker in Murphy, Clare has been complaining about the damaged laminate drooping down for several months so today out it came.

My initial plan was to just glue the laminate back into position however upon closer inspection it was pretty far gone - maybe got a little damp in the past and it was all lifting, someone in the past had kindly tried to glue one section down but it hadn't worked. So there was nothing for it but to remove the old laminate, sand the wood back to clean it up and then either paint, varnish wasn't sure!

In the end I sanded it back until all the old glue remnants were removed and I decided to just go with some tinted varnish and see how it looked.

Here are the progress pics

After removal you can see how far gone the strips were - also bearing in mind our curtains kept catching on them it wasn't going to get any better

ZNTSa.jpg

HgL0q.jpg

GWE2w.jpg

Peeled off very easily

rqm0A.jpg

All sanded down and ready for varnishing

MTmh7.jpg

Only use the good stuff! :msn4:

yrWTx.jpg

After a few coats it looked like this

OAbay.jpg

It will get dried overnight before I refit it in the morning and take some more shots!
Nice relaxing day fettling on the bus!

Hey that didnt turn out too bad at all did it! Nice work! Tho it now seems a little darker than the original??

--------------------------------------Own a Bay?....... Feel the love!

Haha - looked a little darker cos it was still drying, that's my story and I am sticking to it! 8)

Will take some more pics tomorrow when it's back in the bus and see how it matches up with the other units. Should be ok.

Just need my fresh new white trim to arrive so I can replace some of the old cracked and perished stuff littering the interior. Should make it a bit fresher looking

StuF said:
Haha - looked a little darker cos it was still drying, that's my story and I am sticking to it! 8)

Will take some more pics tomorrow when it's back in the bus and see how it matches up with the other units. Should be ok.

Just need my fresh new white trim to arrive so I can replace some of the old cracked and perished stuff littering the interior. Should make it a bit fresher looking

Always like your updates :D
Out of interest where have you sourced the white trim as this is something I'm planning to do ??

Howie - took me a while to find the right stuff but in the end I ordered the trim from Reprowesty.com

You fill out what you want online and they email you an electronic invoice some hours later.
Foreign site but easy to navigate - and they take PayPal :D

http://www.reprowesty.com/index.php?id=webshop/product/57" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I ordered 4 meters worth just incase I mess up!

StuF said:
Howie - took me a while to find the right stuff but in the end I ordered the trim from Reprowesty.com

You fill out what you want online and they email you an electronic invoice some hours later.
Foreign site but easy to navigate - and they take PayPal :D

http://www.reprowesty.com/index.php?id=webshop/product/57" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I ordered 4 meters worth just incase I mess up!

Cheers Stu, I think these guys were at VoWo last year so will see if there about this weekend coming.

Well today was eventful - fitted the top locker again after varnishing and it looks great, top colour match

Decided to strip the dash down to investigate the fuel gauge snag- fitted a nice new functional gauge and it still doesn't read! Rats!

Have ordered a new VDO fuel sender and will be cutting an access panel into the bus to facilitate this - not to everyone's taste I know but will save stripping everything out if it fails again.

Have taken loads of pics as usual however my main PC is infested with viruses so will post them later

If anyone has any spare rear hatch area metal about I would happily take a piece to craft my access panel - cheers in advance

Getting there slowly - also have ordered some led dash bulbs to improve the illumination wondered what others have fitted

Ah Stu you should know by now nothings a simple fix on these vehicles :roll: :(
Where did you order your new fuel sender from......and how much? I think I need a new one too, as my fuel gauge isn't working either, so may acquire one of these also, and possibly go down the route of an access panel.

Also I noticed you have rear mudflaps fitted....how have you installed yours?....by a bracket or by simply attaching to the bodywork itself?
I recently bought a set, comes with an L shaped bracket for each, but I don't really see how this fits to be honest.

http://www.machine7.com/product.php?xProd=13144&xSec=350" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Was the link to the fuel sender mate

http://www.specialpatrolgroup.co.uk/spooky/access/access.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is the link to the access panel measurements

As for the rear mud flaps - they come with the brackets that screw directly onto the chassis, look ok but if you do find a rear chassis cut we could share I would happily send some monies - access flaps are all the rage these days!

Nice one bro, cheers for those links. I'll take a look at Volksworld this weekend see if there is a rear floor panel up for grabs anywhere.

Well since my last post I have been a busy boy with both the bus and IT issues in the home!
Anyway back to business, after refitting the refurbed top locker the trims turned up from ReproWestie and they are a great match for the OG bits.
I have installed 4meters of fresh trim in the bus and refurbed as much as possible.

Secondly my replacement fuel sender (VDO) arrived and I have sucessfully replaced the old unbranded one that appeared to be sticking at the bottom of the floats travel - its freed off now so have a hot spare if I need it. I did cut an access panel however it wasnt all bad and nobody would know now I have fitted a replacement panel and sound deadening. If it does fail again its a little more straightforward to get to.

Thirdly all my dash lights now work after replacing all the old filaments with snazzy LED items - was a bit daunting taking the dash to bits but hey ho you live and learn. I also replaced a couple of the nasy old connections with fresh new ones. Just waiting on a period clock blank to arrive to replace the non functional retro gauge that was there since we got the bus and the dash can go back together.

As a few of you may have seen on the other thread I started I will soon be fitting an uprated headlamp loom - check me out with my wiring shizzle! If they still work after I have been monkeying around anyone will be able to do it! Will keep you peeps posted.

Finally after much debate I decided to go for a new exhaust - so kindly VintageDan did the business and sent me a shiny new one which arrived today. After some headscratching (apologies for the random email Dan) it all went together very nicely and all without removing the bumper or hefty towbar. So now have a bit more bling on the bus!

Back to work next week so will have to limit my fettling to evenings and weekends rather than spending all day getting oily!

Here are the pics!!

Refurbed top locker in place - colour match is pretty good if I say so myself (now its totally dry)

5mZKi.jpg

MuWLb.jpg

zf5F7.jpg

Dash with the old non functioning gauge

jzbTI.jpg

Bloody heater levers - they are horrendous to disconnect

plcIB.jpg

44yr old plastic clips to remove so the heater levers can be disconnected - not sure if I can get away without refitting them! If there are alternatives let me know!

3z5os.jpg

All removed

ytnjO.jpg

Rats nest of wiring - thankfully only a couple of dodgy connections

6JzHA.jpg

Me sitting carefully balancing it on my knee

buxUf.jpg

Work in progress!

dPHJ1.jpg

eR0mV.jpg

Marking up the access panel to get at the fuel sender

jW67u.jpg

MHSDV.jpg

Bit of dremmel action later

8mux1.jpg

There he is hiding away

VpthF.jpg

Old vs new

iupqA.jpg

Didnt take any pics of the panel beating or securing as was a little absorbed - its screwed in place with self tappers and has a gasket sealant to keep it airtight! Then reapplied some sound deadening sheet to keep the load bed uniform.

Cqy4L.jpg

Some exhaust pics now - old one in place

4ab9o.jpg

Wasnt in bad condition just surface rust however the tailpipe got on my tits so out with the old and in with the new

bs9YR.jpg

Loads of clearance for the VS

IT6ji.jpg

Old one gone and in storage now - just in case!

Jbezk.jpg

Cheeky parcel arrived this morning

cXaFm.jpg

Ooof shiny 8)

YD6HE.jpg

Quality welds - cant fault their build quality

1vMJ6.jpg

ErC2k.jpg

Exhaust less!

zPZRr.jpg

I was tempted to start the bus up with nothing attached but thought better of it!

oGXkm.jpg

I cleaned up what I could and used copper grease where I though I should!

kAiNI.jpg

A1cpi.jpg

I started attaching the shiny parts

QMxnB.jpg

9SVnP.jpg

Still loads of space between the towbar and the exhaust

mZbsl.jpg

Everything loosely connected

Emvxs.jpg

oO3w6.jpg

Loving the tail pipe now

VGSyh.jpg

Fresh air pipes connected

ep8l2.jpg

A81vc.jpg

All back together and sounding swwwweeeeettttt - nice knowing I will never have to buy another exhaust

bQdgC.jpg

Gqieb.jpg

Headlamp loom and a fresh curtain track to come! Exciting stuff!
:D

Great updates Stu,
As always ...we like shiny!! 8)

Nice work fella! :)

P.s just out of curiosity, the access hole was it perfectly in position?.... or would you have cut it slightly more one way?
I could do with the exact measurements if you have them to hand buddy?....my Fuel sender arrived today :mrgreen:

Cheers for the comments guys! The new exhaust is a cracker

Foz if you look at this pic again you can see that the sender was a little further back than the online guide would suggest, I just cut a slightly elongated hole to manouvre the sender out through - wasnt far out just didnt say anything incase I had a later tank or something different from the norm. All I can suggest is you go for the measurements as described online and reassess when you can actually see the blighter!

LQG1K.jpg

Getting heaps of work done on the bus Stu. Well done. I wish I had the time.

I'm very interested to see what improvements if any the VS exhaust has to a stock 1600DP. Looking forward to the report. :D

aspro said:
Getting heaps of work done on the bus Stu. Well done. I wish I had the time.

I'm very interested to see what improvements if any the VS exhaust has to a stock 1600DP. Looking forward to the report. :D

To be honest mate - I am not expecting any noticable improvement in performance however exhaust note has improved dramatically!

Latest posts