Stuck handbrake

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graysummers

Reaction score
Little Village on the MidWest Wales Coast
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Crossover
Hi. I've been away and my EB has been standing for 2 weeks in all this rain. Welsh rain at that !! Came back, jumped in all eager for a spin and started up lovely, first time too, but the handbrake is solid and the bus won't move forwards or backwards. Tries...... but won't budge! Can I release it without taking the wheel off and exposing the brake drum system ? I'm getting withdrawel symptoms and it needs to be out there moving along the road !!

Jack it up, take the back wheels off and give the brake drums a f****** good hit with a decent hammer, 9 times out of 10 that will release them. It's a tried and tested council workshop tactic :mrgreen:

WR that will be a big F**** off hammer then ,council special,if still on steel rims worth tapping wheel bolts as some one takes up drive,dont forget to drive and apply handbrake lightly to clean up rear brakes ,thats a service item on some cars with seperate handbrake drums 8)

67panel said:
WR that will be a big F**** off hammer then ,council special,if still on steel rims worth tapping wheel bolts as some one takes up drive,dont forget to drive and apply handbrake lightly to clean up rear brakes ,thats a service item on some cars with seperate handbrake drums 8)

My method has got me out of jams with transits, trailers, my camper and my bmw.

Hhhhmmmmm!!! I'll look a little further into this one then. Whacking with hammers isn't part of my VW vocabulary. I'll try tapping earnestly with a rubber mallet and cross my fingers whilst sprinkling fairy dust and waving good luck charms at the same time. :?

i ve had the same problem with a few cars, But never my camper!! :lol: i use a rubber mallet or block of wood and hammer, have been told by oldschool mechanic NEVER to hit drums with anything mettalic! i rartely use my handbrake when parked ,normally chock it!

I was told if you rock the van from side to side with force it can release the brakes let the brake off first

OK. Chocks away. Got it moving. Used a wooden mallet I'd made out of an old table leg. Sang "Message to you Rudy" at the same time for rhythmic gentle beat on the drum. "Stop your messing around, Try to think of your future". 8) Don't advise singing anything by "the Pistols" (too hard) or "Leona Lewis" (too lightweight and the bus can't take the indignity). I'll pick up that bit of advice from Dave about the chocks though. Cheers. My drive is on a slope and open to the Welsh elements so it's a good idea. Like Ian Hunter sang...."Once bitten, twice shy". There's a good hammer beat song too...and apt. :idea:

graysummers said:
OK. Chocks away. Got it moving. Used a wooden mallet I'd made out of an old table leg. Sang "Message to you Rudy" at the same time for rhythmic gentle beat on the drum. "Stop your messing around, Try to think of your future". 8) Don't advise singing anything by "the Pistols" (too hard) or "Leona Lewis" (too lightweight and the bus can't take the indignity). I'll pick up that bit of advice from Dave about the chocks though. Cheers. My drive is on a slope and open to the Welsh elements so it's a good idea. Like Ian Hunter sang...."Once bitten, twice shy". There's a good hammer beat song too...and apt. :idea:

:mrgreen: made me smile :mrgreen:

Glad you got it sorted buddy, I never leave mine with the handbrake on when stored.

Enjoy

Latest posts