Stupid MOT legislation

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halfpint_fighter

Reaction score
Dammit!

The camper failed the MOT today, 2 tyres that are knackered...no biggy.

The problem is the exhaust...

b. a silencer in such a condition, or of such a type, that the noise emitted from the vehicle is clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar vehicle with a silencer in average condition

So any end can that is louder than standard can be failed. The same bloke has tested it for the last 5 years and 3 of those had the motorbike end can exhaust on there. Apparently the rules changed slightly so he can't pass it anymore.

Cant knock the tester dude,just doing his job.Im a tester and can say if you get caught doing a poor mot etc... your in sh!t. Even something like a fancy exhaust.MOT testers get a little more money than your average mechanic and in my case i couldnt afford the wage drop if i were banned.

Rich

Not knocking the tester...just the rules!

He does all the MOT's for my VW garage so knows his stuff and is really fair on old cars.

I have a dB killer which i will fit and hopefully it will quieten it down enough, if not i will be on the lookout for a single quiet pack or similar.

There could be a lot of peeps with Turbo mufflers etc. who fall foul of this :shock:

Its a bit harsh tough. I consider myself to be getting older but still love a lary exhaust :mrgreen:

Soooo all the chavs out there with exhausts like this:

c22678d6d023d789d49aedd237c9a482.jpg

Also fail?????

Cant see that happening????

The wording is still rather vague.

The words...

halfpint_fighter said:
the noise emitted from the vehicle is clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar vehicle with a silencer in average condition

Doesn't specify whether the 'similar vehicle' has to have a stock silencer or whether a 'similar vehicle' could be another VW camper with a bike can on the back.

Having said that, my flatmates continually tell my that my van is loud enough to wake the whole house. I've got a standard silencer, with the tiny single exhaust pipe :roll:

Buy a cheap 2nd hand exhaust and just fit it for the MOT, you can always swap exhausts back after you've got the ticket ;) ;)

froggy said:
just fit it for the MOT, you can always swap after you've got the ticket

in about twenty years time, when i've finally got my bus approaching roadworthiness, and i come to book my MoT, only to find out that all 'amateur' vehicle modifications have been outlawed, we'll know who to blame won't we :roll:

it's coming... anybody with their ear to the ground and their nose in current legislation will tell you that, it's all just a matter of time, and when it does i'd like to buy a metaphorical drink for everybody who ran smart car tyres on their buses, or who had no concept of scrub lines, or who swapped out an exhaust, and so on and so on.

then i'll probably lock the garage doors for a final time, raise a glass to what will by then have become an everlasting monument to my own desire to do things differently, and start searching the classifieds for a stock, white, imported early westy.

*watch this space*

Plenty of early white westys for sale on here Councillor ;) but in twenty years time you wont be able to drive them other than every third Sunday of the month, during daylight hours and not within 3 miles of a any built up area :roll:

spot on, unfortunately.

"Come gather round people
Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters
Around you have grown
And accept it that soon
You'll be drenched to the bone.
If your time to you
Is worth savin
Then you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone."

always found him a bit nasal but he had a point

'Generally'

But, in actual fact, MOT are pretty easy to pass, and the rules only really ensure that we have (or should have) safe vehicles on the road.

Loud exhausts? It'd have to be 'pretty' loud to fail, in my experience, and really, thats reasonable, surely?

Im not aware of any recently imposed 'draconian' MOT laws that have actually stopped anyone modifying stuff? From what I see clever modification development continues to develop at a pretty serious pace. Matt Ballz panel 'slam' van has a current MOT ..... what more do you want?

the councillor said:
spot on, unfortunately.

"Come gather round people
Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters
Around you have grown
And accept it that soon
You'll be drenched to the bone.
If your time to you
Is worth savin
Then you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone."

always found him a bit nasal but he had a point

always look on the bright side, eh? :lol:

I'm considering a special rank for ya mate. Victor M's Scouse cousin.

BUT... i admit your are 100% correct. It will soon be like Benelux and all modifications will be outlawed. There will be an Army of disaffected Chavs driving standard 1.1 corsas/novas, now that would make me smile.

Johnny said:
always look on the bright side, eh? :lol:

BUT... i admit your are 100% correct.

cheers :mrgreen:

the ongoing development of my bus is one of my great passions... i AM trying to do it a bit differently to the norm, hence another of my resons not to want to start a photo thread, and i'm also trying to do it 100% legally, and despite presumptions made elsewhere i do fully intend to get it back on the road (literally) one day... in the meantime i'm building it, for me, and i'll be gutted if changes forced on me by others are the thing that stop me, rather than any of my own shortcomings.

my fear, and i'm deadly serious when i say this, is that i'll have a half re-engineered half spread about the house and its surrounding environs bus on the day that they legislate 'us' out of the game.

possibly only in the last decade, certainly since we started a family, have i become more aware of the very slow but very real changes in legislation towards all sorts of things, the rules and regs surrounding the care of children being the ones i'm possibly most well up to speed on, if you put my passion for vehicular modification to one side for the moment.

we have a constant 'battle' with parents complaining about changes to the provision of care for their kids, but of course it's not us making the rules, we just have to abide by them, or ofsted close us down... indeed there will soon be a major upheaval in the day to day running of one setting within this small town, simply because changes to legislation due in 2010 means that they have to all intents and purposes 'outgrown' the building where they have been based for decades... shit will hit the fan, but that's irrelevant in a discussion about cars i suppose :roll:

i remember seeing a comedy routine from years ago about how basically the very idea of us owning and maintaining our own cars is nonsensical really... and how the idea of us being able to pull into a garage and brandish about a hose capable of delivering very quickly very large quantities of a carcinogenic, highly flammable liquid with no formal training or certification whatsoever, whilst relying upon a small laminated sign to stop us sparking up a cheroot whilst we're filling up is a bit far-fetched nowadays, especially considering when i do voluntary work in the local community cafe for instance i have to have basic fire safety training not to mention food hygiene certification, just for being legally able to slice a tomato.

factor into that the fact that we're then able to propel them towards other, similarly qualified road users at closing speeds of up to 140 MPH with sometimes mere inches between the two cars and you soon realise that these are the tail-end of some pretty halcyonic days, but they won't last forever.

the 'incident' that was all over the news and the forums where the guy had modified his land rover and it'd gone wrong and wiped out his family was catastrophically sad. makes me want to cry just thinking about it, but a small part of me winced for a different reason when i heard the story, because every case like that is another nail in the coffin (no pun or any disrespect intended) of the home-modifier.

when i was growing up i used to visit a stock car track every other sunday, and i cried when the bastard council closed it down in '76. i've also always wondered what it would have been like to have watched racing at another fabled northern track that closed in '79, but the truth is, from piecing memories and old photographs together, there's NO WAY those tracks, even if they hadn't had to close prematurely when they did, would still have been going today, in the current climate of what joe public blames on 'health & safety' and calls the 'nanny state'.

i would strongly advise anybody considering modifying a car, even if it is only changing the exhaust, to study vehicle regs and stick to their guidelines, and to take the MoT test very seriously, rather than as a mild irritant which needs to be circumnavigated every 12 months, because if we don't before too long we'll have that privilege taken out of our hands, and do we really all want to be driving around in ford mondeo clones ?

TinFoilHatArea.jpg

yeah, well, don't say you weren't warned
icon_e_ugeek.gif

Johnny said:
There will be an Army of disaffected Chavs driving standard 1.1 corsas/novas, now that would make me smile.
Most modified / chaved corsa's are still 1.1, 1.2's.
Always makes me laugh when they pull next to you at traffic light grand prix and even in my daily they are left dawdling when the lights change green :lol:
You here them 2 miles away and 20 mins later your still waiting for then to drive past

Anyone spotted a way round this?

Nowhere does it say that your vehicle has to be running to pass the MOT. It's exempt from the emissions test anyway and only thing that would stuff you is if your running a servo. If its not running they can't hear the exhaust.....

I'm suprised they dont quantify the noise of an exhaust to a figure by using a Decibel meter or whatever. At least you would know what is and isnt legal.

For example, as i understand that rule, you could drive a Ducatti and have an exhaust note that would cause me to lose my fillings, but, if its standard, its ok.

Now, im in my bus with my brand new A1 turbo muffler and i fail, although im not half as noisy as you?

its far too subjective if you ask me. :evil:

Latest posts