Subs

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont do facebook, and without this site and the people who contribute, I'd have to deal with the cranky latebay folks... :mrgreen:

10 coming your way.

Well just realized I will have been using this forum for 10 years in October - and the advice found in posts and the genuine used spares bought from it have saved me a small fortune. Yes, its definitely been quieter over the last 12 months or so but with no events to inspire anyone, no camping trips or even a jaunt to the nearest coast it's not that surprising. I check the forum pretty much everyday but am a not a serial poster. - I admire the guys that take the time to put together build threads (you know who you are) and one day I might even put one together myself. Perhaps some sort of vote on whether members are willing to pay an annual sub is needed ?

Although I am sure that most of us would happily pay a sub, a subscription model might actually have a net-negative outcome in the long term. A big part of keeping something alive and healthy is having new blood coming in on a regular basis. I'm not sure that would be the effect of a subscription-only forum when there are others that are not (whether or not they are of the same quality).
To offer some alternative suggestions of how to raise funds, how about
a) Early Bay merchandise? (T-shirts, baseball caps, bumper/window stickers, etc), or
b) Donator tags on forum username, or
c) Early bay members only camping/touring trips (when it's allowed) or
d) A raffle for something nice, proceeds to the forum upkeep

I am sure there are more possibilities.

I think this site and the peeps are great, long may it continue. I've just stuck a tenner in the pot, I think we would all be happy to help keep the site going :D

Well done Ade, it’s just remembering to do it every so often, so I’m really glad this thread from a little back has jolted us both. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,come on summerrrrrrr :mrgreen:

ozziedog said:
...I’m really glad this thread from a little back has jolted us both. :mrgreen:
It jolted me too, donate buttons seem to be invisible to me, but seeing this thread made me evaluate the value and hard-work that gets put in for our beneift.

Hi,

This is my first ever post on this forum, been reading and learning off of it for some time though.

My view is that it's a catch 22, I agree that subs will probably put new members off of joining.A lot of clubs have ditched forums/websites for social media as it's much cheaper.

The idea of club shirts and raffles is great but I think it'd be a short term fix, once people have one T-shirt they probably wont buy another....and it all needs organising!.

I've just made a donation and am happy to do so every once and a while, maybe people just need their minds jogging to do so? a pop up suggesting a donation maybe? could even suggest an amount so people don't feel pressured, if it was a small amount like the price of a magazine people might do it more often.

Just my 2 cents :D

Terry

Thanks guys. We try and keep it voluntary , but the subs for the classified has received lots of criticism.

The best thing people can do is simply post, lots!

More content = more traffic = advertising :)

Some great ideas here folks so thanks for that. We already have an Earlybay shop type thing and it’s listed in the forums list right at the bottom. I think a few different peeps have tried to make a go of this in previous reincarnations but the support was never there and as said above ^^^ once you’ve got the T Shirt, it’ll be a few years until you’d want another.hence the last post on there was roughly 2015 :( Maybe the more organised between us could perhaps periodically drag this thread to the top to refresh our memories :lol: Something like the beginning and perhaps ending of the camper van ‘’Season’’ then the mentally less agile (me) can have a kick up the chuff to do something to keep this forum (that I’m quite keen on ) alive and functional 8) 8) 8)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,as mentioned above ^^^ a few more posts will really really help big styleee :mrgreen:

It's been a while since I've looked on here, been even longer since I made any type of comment. Be a shame if it had to close so I've put something in the pot to help out.
Jack.

I think this might be my first post, but having bought my Early Bay Dormobile back in 2018 (after a 25 VW gap without a VW), and now have just finished getting a RHD Single Cab back on the road, the posts I've read on here have been invaluable.

In fact, that's probably why I haven't asked any questions, as most have been asked before. As others have said, I don't do Facebook, so would hate to see this forum disappear. Also, I've been using the "EARLYBAY" discount for parts, so only seems right to make a donation.

Russell

I’ve just chucked a few quid in the pot.

My thoughts on the selling fees: I completely agree with the charge for advertising a bus for sale. Whilst there is Facebook where it could be advertised for free, the audience is very different to a website advert. I’ve sold a small handful of cars in recent years, and I got so fed up with the repeated messages asking for my ‘best price’ or ‘I can pay immediately and send my shipping agent to collect as I’m currently on a ship serving the Royal Navy...’ when using Facebook, that I will now only use a site like Pistonheads which mainly isn’t full of scammers. Obviously, this comes at a cost, but at £15 per ad, I’ve never had any bother and always had very easy sales. I see this site in a similar way, a group of enthusiasts with a common interest, so by all means, I’d pay to advertise a vehicle.

However, I can’t say I feel the same about parts, and there has been a noticeable drop off in ads since the fees came in. Previously, people would just dip into this site to advertise bits and pieces that were surplus to requirements, or had maybe been kicking about in the garage for some time. It’s nice as an active member to be able to have ‘first dibs’ at these before they ended up on FB or eBay. Unfortunately, the audience here is much smaller, and as soon as people see a price associated with it, it is going to put them off and they’ll go and spend that money to sell somewhere with a higher likelihood of getting rid. There’s also the consideration that you are paying upfront for an ad with no guarantee of a sale, whereas eBay will only charge once it has gone - possibly something else that is contributing to the downturn. I will hold my hands up as advertising parts recently on FB because the zero fees means I haven’t lost anything if something doesn’t sell, or the low value of the items means I just want rid as cheaply and easily as possible to help someone else out and have them out of my way.

I think the donation route is a great way to bring in some cash. There will always be a ‘hardcore’ of users who will be willing to dip into their pockets, and this will keep the site largely free for new members to be more willing to sign up. My belief is that FB will eventually run its course. It is a pretty useless platform for getting help from others as there are very few people who will willingly type a useful response (very much the opposite of here), and that just leaves it as a place for posting up nice photos or selling (if that always stays as free). It’d be great to win back some of that crowd, and the Internet forum certainly has the niche market of build threads and technical resource. I often think that it is favourable that there isn’t a massive audience like FB has, therefore posts don’t immediately get bumped miles down the page.

^ agree with this. Selling the odd bus part should be free on here.

Quite happy to pay a small annual fee if the other ways of raising money don’t level out the expenses of running the site.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts