Subs

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can understand, but it will kill it,VZI are having problems but have not imposed subs,wrong way to go.

sparkywig said:
How else can we fund the forum?
It costs much more than you think to host this site, and advertiser income doesn't cover it all.

So you want to screw the hand that feeds you.

The site seems to have slowed down a bit over the last year or so as seems to be the case right across the board with the plethora of social media available now to just about everyone. Not sure what’s the right way or wrong way, but it would be a real gutter if this site closed. And I know a lot of peeps still keep reading and keeping up to date with it yet don’t post as frequently as before. That might help things just to get peeps posting, but we’re all so short on time nowadays. Anyway, keep posting as that’s what is needed.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, soon be summer :mrgreen:

megaaircooled said:
Can understand, but it will kill it,VZI are having problems but have not imposed subs,wrong way to go.

VZi is now owned by a Canadian company that owns a massive amount of forums that were once popular, they buy them as Google searches drive people to look at archived material, and then you can see the adverts that they run. You know, all the pop ups based on your search history.
Early Bay is still independant and only runs non-evasive adverts that are relevant and chosen. Its a choice I guess, we could sell the forum to a multi-national and have it homogonised, swamped with ads and moderated to hell, or try other methods and see how it goes. If it really doesn't work we will review it.

Most forums suffer from the Facebook takeover, and I get it. Again, its free to buy and sell on there, the only cost is again, being swamped with adverts, political bias and all those memes from people you previously thought were ok :lol: :lol:

We do note peoples feedback, so keep feeding back. :)

megaaircooled said:
Look how much response has slowed on here.

i respect your opinion but do you think its fair for someone who never ever even read the site to come along and get free advertising for their van to sell to a potential 10000 customers? I get 5-6 people a week asking if they can register to post their van up.

its not much to ask as a one off in the grand scheme of things. £5 for a van and £2 for a weeks worth of parts and also there are yearly subs for those who buy and sell regularly. It costs much much more than that for a magazine ad with a lot less targeted coverage.

On many occasions over the years i have forked out of my own pocket to cover server costs.

there will never ever be subs to join and post, i can guarantee that but if you are buying and selling its only fair to contribute something small to help with the running of the site.

Just to add we have never been strict around buying and selling just used common sense over the years but costs are rising all the time and something has to give unfortunately.

If we had enough peeps would something like a fiver cover membership for a year ????
I would quite happily pay for membership . OK I know a fiver is really low and a bit of a cheek but....

I don't want to loose this font of information and I really like the site as it's not inundated with ads.
There is so much history available here and would be an absolute shame to loose it. Yes the dickheads appear but
I think a fiver to talk as it were, would put off most of them. The ramblings of a degenerate on a Friday.

J & P
:D :D :D

I’ve been on this forum since not long after its creation and have sold hundreds of pounds worth of stuff on here I don’t think a tiny fee to post a van or parts for sale is big ask. You have to in order to advertised one Volksworld or similar. So if keeping this forum going is going to cost a couple quid then fair enough, Not like it’s going in the Mods pockets is it :roll:

Right at the top of the page is a “Donate” with a little heart by it. If any one fancies a little donating whenever , it’s very simple to do. If you’d like to, and you can easily afford it, then it’s real easy and takes seconds through PayPal .

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, but only if you’d like to :mrgreen:

gas1man said:
If we had enough peeps would something like a fiver cover membership for a year ????
I would quite happily pay for membership . OK I know a fiver is really low and a bit of a cheek but....

I don't want to loose this font of information and I really like the site as it's not inundated with ads.
There is so much history available here and would be an absolute shame to loose it. Yes the dickheads appear but
I think a fiver to talk as it were, would put off most of them. The ramblings of a degenerate on a Friday.

J & P
:D :D :D

Think this is a good idea.

megaaircooled said:
Whats changed to start charging to advertise ?

Server costs being more than the money gained via adverts.

We’ve also just paid for VWOC GB membership which gives all our line ups and gatherings third party insurance cover. Last year we put money into the new flags that sparkywig bought ... it all adds up. Johnny pays stuff out of his pocket as it’s required. I paid for the line up at Stanford Hall ... we ain’t getting rich off the forum!

I would pay £5 a year. Happily. I know it’s been a long winter but this place seems to be getting very quiet. Not that it bothered me but hate to see this forum go the same way as JK

Latest posts