Suspension improvements

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Padwah

Reaction score
I've got a 1971 that's curently completely stock but the suspension feels a bit wallowy and it seems to wobble around quite a bit when you're moving around inside when you're camping. I was just wandering what are my options for improving the suspension/ride quality and stiffening it up a bit?

This is down to interpretation, but if the dampers are old replace and check the ARB and its mounts......

Araon said:
This is down to interpretation, but if the dampers are old replace and check the ARB and its mounts......

Then.......

Slam it, with dropped spindles and adjustable beam! sorted 8)

Cheers for the suggestions! Will get some new shocks at the weekend, hopefully, any suggestions?

I'm still considering a mild lowering job, was thinking more of dropping it one or two inches rather than slamming it. I've been looking at either the EZ Rider kit from red9design or dropped spindles from the bus station coupled with some adjustable spring plates at the rear but I'm not entirely sure about the EZ Rider kit, I prefer the fact that I keep the same suspension geometry with the dropped spindles but I prefer the price of the EZ rider!

Cant beat a set of cheeky dropped spindles if you only want about a 3.5inch drop :mrgreen:

As said if you want a permanent 3.5 inch drop then go for spindles, if you want a mild drop then the EZ rider kit from red9 would be my call (adjustable height and damping).
Theres also the option to fit weld in adjusters.........the choice is yours :lol:

Why is it that if anyone, on any forum, asks a straight question about any kind of suspension issue on a bus, the answer is always slam it?

speedwell68 said:
Why is it that if anyone, on any forum, asks a straight question about any kind of suspension issue on a bus, the answer is always slam it?
Because if they were happy with stock suspension then they wouldn't be asking..... :lol:

I'm with you speedwell68 - slammed can look good, but original suspension can work better and look just as good 8)

froggy said:
speedwell68 said:
Because if they were happy with stock suspension then they wouldn't be asking..... :lol:

If the stock suspension is faulty then the faults need addressing properly and it will then perform properly. Lowering is just about the most stupid modification you can perform on a Bay. It will screw up the handling, the ride and the performance.

In answer to the OP, the first thing to do is to make sure that the beam has been greased properly, this is cheap and easy to do. Then make sure you anti-roll bar is in good order, if the bushes show signs of cracking then replace them with new rubbers and clamps. IMHO if the bushes are very worn you'd be best off replacing the roll bar too, they lose tension over the years. Then check you have the correct shocks fitted for your year, check they are leak free and that the bushes in the eyes are not split and worn. If you do require new shocks, the Cofap ones from GSF are very good value for the money. Another thing that people over look with suspension, handling and ride quality is the tyres, make sure they are inflated to the pressure required for the load you are carrying and that they have the correct load rating, a Bay Window of any description should be run on commercial tyres. Good quality commercial tyres will make a world of difference to the ride quality of your van.

Loxy said:
speedwell68 said:
Lowering is just about the most stupid modification you can perform on a Bay.

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18559" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
;)
Would love to see the gallery pics for that mod 8) :x :oops:

Latest posts