T1 / Beetle Case into Bus Adapter Options?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cunning plan

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Clipper / Microbus
The engine I am rebuilding is from a Beetle (just what was in the bus when I bought it years ago), it is currently using one of those adapter 'micky mouse' plates:

ac1019148_1.jpg

https://www.vwheritage.com/ac1019148-engine-case-adaptor-kit-t1-t2

However, after doing some research on them, I dislike the way they put pressure on the oil pump, as demonstrated by VWDarrin here:

https://youtu.be/9xGhR55mA9M?t=573

What other options are there?

:sign0009:

I've just fitted one of those adapters cos I couldn't find anything else on the market.

I've had on on previously and had no issues but I'm aware they are prone to leaking oil

Thanks chap, apart from making my own (which is too time consuming right now), I do not think there is a better option. :(

Use the longer studs and the pump cover supplied, pull the pump out and flatten the mating surfaces with fine sandpaper and a sheet of glass, torque the bolts up to 30Nm and it should be fine.

cunning plan said:
Okay thanks.

Happystamps said:
a sheet of glass

A sheet of .. glass? :? :poke:

Yeah! If you lay a piece of fine wet and dry on a piece of glass and then sand the pump cover flat on that it means you'll get a perfectly flat surface (or as close as you can get!)

georgeyv said:
cunning plan said:
Okay thanks.

Happystamps said:
a sheet of glass

A sheet of .. glass? :? :poke:

Yeah! If you lay a piece of fine wet and dry on a piece of glass and then sand the pump cover flat on that it means you'll get a perfectly flat surface (or as close as you can get!)

Ahh, thanks, that makes sense! :party0047:

I run one without issues. The only problem occurs if you want to fit a bigger pump to provide more oil pressure if you have a worn/align bored case - there isn't any room! New case, no problem.

I think there is another option....
I found this picture, I think it's from the samba.com

I can't find any nformation about it, does anyone know who makes them and if they're still available?

Looks better as it doesn't bolt to the oil pump cover

68 obe said:
I think there is another option....
I found this picture, I think it's from the samba.com

I can't find any nformation about it, does anyone know who makes them and if they're still available?

Looks better as it doesn't bolt to the oil pump cover
I found one of those adapters in a Vege engine i got in exchange for one of my units. It was cast iron made and held by two of the case studs, not the oil pump.
I would only recommend using that type adapter on a late Bay as the Early doesn't have the extra mountings on the gearbox. On an Early, the twisting forces would put a lot of strain on the two mounting points at the case, probably damaging it in no time.
Abel

Do it properly and get a bus case. Those adaptors are crap. All the weight and torque of the engine on some 8mm studs. No thanks

Hi, this is what I came up with, full flow oil pump cover and mounting bracket. I drew up the design and a friend machined it up for me. It uses the four pump studs plus a u clamp round the lower case bolt. Has worked well with my 2027 stroker.

Latest posts