T4/5/6/7/8 WTF

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aircooled only?!?!? im totally in!!!! :mrgreen:

well...you wouldnt turn up to a show based around this kind of thing....

DSC_3699-gullwing.jpg

in one of these would you?!?

mercedes_benz-sprinter.jpg

MOST T4 owners i have met (and I stress MOST cos some are my mates) seem to instantly have a chip on their shoulders about the fact they dont quite fit in.... and are instantly defensive....er....thats because you dont fit in!!!
what gets me... is we have to put up or shut up and accept them..... yet we have to put up with all the 'rusty old bus' jokes again and again.....
and youre right...there is a linited amount you can do to a t4 to customise/modify/personalise...which is why they all look the same.... well apart from the colours.... lime green, disability car blue, tangerine orange.....AA yellow :lol:

future classic..... my arse!!!! if thats the case then maybe one day my bosch cordless drill will be a design classic and worth lots of cash!!!! i think not!

andewilson said:
part of the problem is t4's and 5's dont really belong in the watercooled vw scene with the golfs, polo's etc. also they are getting cheap now so i think it will only get worse :( .

Surely they fit in better with the cars of the same age, after all they shared forecourt space with them only a few years ago and no one mentioned that looking odd.

Im well pi**ed off with the increase of the T4/5 brigade at what where always classed as Air cooled shows. Organizers have to go with the flow because its all about breaking even at any cost. You want to try living down our way, every other van going to the beach is a T4/5 and they wave at you like fookin loonies. I dont wave at the local window fitter or the pasty delivery man so why would i wave at some gimp in the same van but with a cheqered bra and eyebrows over the lights. Work van yes, chuck all your s**t in van to go surfing/mountain biking etc etc yes, classic lifestyle choice never.

For me its simple. Boy racers and the max power gang add massive ice, plastic trim and bright mono colours, and so do the T4/5 boys so surely they must see what side of the fence they fall on. I wouldnt turn up at a modern VW show in my bay and expect their to be stalls/displays etc for me because im in a VW.

Rant over, ban the lot of them. (Can i also put my name forward for gate staff at any strict Air cooled show..."yes mate i know its a vw but just put it over there next to that Tranny with the ladders on the roof" :lol: )

clyde said:
Rant over, ban the lot of them. (Can i also put my name forward for gate staff at any strict Air cooled show..."yes mate i know its a vw but just put it over there next to that Tranny with the ladders on the roof" :lol: )

Jon
As a T5 owner I PMSL over that last line and yes you can be on the gate if I can get an aircooled only event going for next year, we need a gate bouncer

thru_a_lupe said:
future classic..... my arse!!!! if thats the case then maybe one day my bosch cordless drill will be a design classic and worth lots of cash!!!! i think not!

Hmm... I see what you mean but strange things happen.

Back in the days when you could still buy a running 1930's Lagonda for less than £1000 I thought I was pretty familiar with the collectors car scene. I could see my Healey 3000 and Mk2 jag would eventually become quite valuable.

However, had they suggested that my then new van would be worth more than the new Triumph Stag parked next to it I would have laughed at their naivity.

Had somebody suggested that a bubble car, worth at that time around £25, would be collectable or that a mint Messerschmit would go at auction for 25K I would have doubted their sanity.

cat_and_pigeons_small.jpg

Seriously guys? I mean seriously? Your sat on your computer ranting because someones turning up to a show in a builders van and its not as cool as your older builders van?

I'd like to run a vw where the "narrow beam and fuchs" combo is banned cause its boring as fuck! But hey ho, each to their own!

ProfessorWheeto said:
cat_and_pigeons_small.jpg

Seriously guys? I mean seriously? Your sat on your computer ranting because someones turning up to a show in a builders van and its not as cool as your older builders van?

I'd like to run a vw where the "narrow beam and fuchs" combo is banned cause its boring as fuck! But hey ho, each to their own!

:lol:

dubscum said:
ProfessorWheeto said:

I'd like to run a vw where the "narrow beam and fuchs" combo is banned [/quote]

i agree ............ fuchs are way to expensive :msn4: :lol:[/quote]

:lol: But the shitty repros unfortunatly aren't!

Anyway they only look right colour coded and an 911s. I don't get why they are so popular, I prefer teles and gas burners to them.

Expensive wheels though...

[img]http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/282937.jpg

YEAAAAAAAAH BABY! Proper stud pattern as well so no need to fanny around converting the brakes (or be a gash bastard like all the drones and fit some shonky adaptors)

ProfessorWheeto said:
dubscum said:
ProfessorWheeto said:

I'd like to run a vw where the "narrow beam and fuchs" combo is banned [/quote]

i agree ............ fuchs are way to expensive :msn4: :lol:[/quote]

:lol: But the shitty repros unfortunatly aren't!

Anyway they only look right colour coded and an 911s. I don't get why they are so popular, I prefer teles and gas burners to them.

Expensive wheels though...

[img]http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/282937.jpg

YEAAAAAAAAH BABY! Proper stud pattern as well so no need to fanny around converting the brakes (or be a gash bastard like all the drones and fit some shonky adaptors)

Woop, woop. Totally agree with that sentiment. If you're gonna customise, then bloody well individualise. Love those wheels as well.

I know the guy who makes those wheels in Germany (to order and numbered with your name stamped on) I love them and could get a very good deal but they look wrong on a bay. They are quite chunky looking and dont look right with the slab sides of a bus............maybe different on a SC.

My main worry about the T4/5 thing is as people have mentioned............the owners look down on our old rusty buses because most of them dont come to the scene from classics, so it will only be a matter of time before we are excluded from VW shows and im affraid that will apply to standard SCs as well as narrowed/fuch wearing slammed rides.

Some might say its a progression, but thats missing the point. I could easily have a T4/5 but i dont want the most modern interpratation of a VW van i want the one ive got. Classic owners are exactly that.

Ref the wheels, they are repos and can be ordered in your choice of width, offset, finish and stud pattern.

dubscum said:
WOW PROFF 8) i'm in ore ! are they yours, going on the sc ? ......... carefull dude you'll be slamming and narrowing next :D

:lol: Wish they were mine! (Would have red metalflake centres rather than black if they were mine anyway! )

I'm sticking with stock height and steelies! :D

clyde said:
My main worry about the T4/5 thing is as people have mentioned............the owners look down on our old rusty buses because most of them dont come to the scene from classics, so it will only be a matter of time before we are excluded from VW shows and im affraid that will apply to standard SCs as well as narrowed/fuch wearing slammed rides.

:lol: So Stanford Hall are going to turn round and say "Whats that? Zwitter? naa theres no room in show and shine, its all T5s this year mate."

I don't really see how we are going to be excluded? If they do a show for T4s and T5s then great, I won't attend it in the same way I don't avoid GTI International, or Bingley Hall Mini Day, or the Alfa day at stanford etc etc

And if they look down on our shitty old vans, then why would they want to come to the shows with fields full of them!

Just sounds like elitism and sweeping generalizations to me!

The scene is expanding and changing, there must be people on here that watched the scene change from bugs to splits as the thing to have in the 90s? It wasn't until recently that T25s have been accepted and gained popularity within "the scene" In my experience "the scene" is 95% bullshit, what matters is spending time with my mates and its irrelivant if I turn up in my van or my mrs's corsa or my mates turn up in a mk4 golf and a t4 because their 58 and 66 bugs and 67 split are at home in the garage!

ProfessorWheeto said:
clyde said:

:lol: So Stanford Hall are going to turn round and say "Whats that? Zwitter? naa theres no room in show and shine, its all T5s this year mate."

I don't really see how we are going to be excluded? If they do a show for T4s and T5s then great, I won't attend it in the same way I don't avoid GTI International, or Bingley Hall Mini Day, or the Alfa day at stanford etc etc

And if they look down on our shitty old vans, then why would they want to come to the shows with fields full of them!

Just sounds like elitism and sweeping generalizations to me!

The scene is expanding and changing, there must be people on here that watched the scene change from bugs to splits as the thing to have in the 90s? It wasn't until recently that T25s have been accepted and gained popularity within "the scene" In my experience "the scene" is 95% bullshit, what matters is spending time with my mates and its irrelivant if I turn up in my van or my mrs's corsa or my mates turn up in a mk4 golf and a t4 because their 58 and 66 bugs and 67 split are at home in the garage!

Agreeeee!

I own a 70 Bay Campmobile, 70 1500 Bug and have done for nearly 20 yrs :msn4: .......................................... and a lovely warm, quiet, fast and economical (non spazzed) T5 for my work!

If both the air cooled vehicles are off the road for repair or restoration I will be in my T5, and if it's snowing!! and I want to drive from Somerset to Dubfreeze I will be in my T5......If it is pi$$ing it down and a bunch of us are heading to Stanford Hall to sell and buy aircooled kit we will be in the T5... :D

Now, I am not saying it is a good thing that spazzed up water cooled stuff attends predominantly air cooled events!, but there are some of us that are prepared to travel a long way to some shows and will inevitably take the easy option sometimes.

There is a big difference in owners and their outlooks or needs.....I can't see the need to sort the wheat from the chaff as it were.....just be comfortable in your own mind that some of em ain't got a clue what our mental obsession means to us!!

Having said that, I would be interested in an air cooled ONLY show....so long as it's not in the far north of Scotland! I am not scared to drive that far before you ask.. I am planning next years hols to France already!!

PEACE ;)

Latest posts