T5 as daily driver

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howie123

Reaction score
Right, thinking of getting a T5 as a daily driver :evil: , anybody here doing the same.
Love my bus but i do c20k a year with work (in an A6 !!!) so not realistic to use the T2.
Anybody doing similar, any advice on which one, looking at a day van, which model to avoid etc :D

Are you looking for a bus or a van?

I drive a T4 as a daily drive and I find it fine, even give it a respray and 5th gear mod so it cruises at 70+ whith no issues, and fitted cruise. A few have AC, rare in panel vans but I found one.

Mates just bought a T5 Carravelle, its great main vehicle. Post 2005 model year up to T5.1 seem to have less issues in general.

T4 (T5 as well) forum is the place to ask.

Howie123 said:
Right, thinking of getting a T5 as a daily driver :evil: , anybody here doing the same.
Love my bus but i do c20k a year with work (in an A6 !!!) so not realistic to use the T2.
Anybody doing similar, any advice on which one, looking at a day van, which model to avoid etc :D

Only you can answer this question really mate.

The van is capable of doing 50k a year without major issues - it just depends how old it is and it's current mileage. A brand new one should do upto 150k without issue, if serviced correctly.

I say only you know which one, as it depends on power v economy. The 5-Pot diesel and then the later Bi-TDI are cracking engines, but not mega economical. Whereas the lower 102 (and less 98) are more economical, cheaper to buy but aren't as quick.

Reliability is a mixed bag - like any van/car. Some say the 5-pot is troublesome, but I think it's more down to pot luck.

Another point is comfort - is it comfortable to drive for you? I do 30k a year, so little things like heated seats and lumbar adjustment for the lower back were import (i'm only 34!), but suffer from sciatica now and again. A few of our lads in Transit vans on site complain about the lack of Lumbar adjustment too - the constant slump position.

Also, IIRC, to convert a bench seat to 2 seats at the front (walk-through), and vice-versa is not a simple job, as the mounting points didn't used to be there on the early T5s, you either got on one or the other, but not both - you were stuck with the configuration unless you got the welding tackle out. Not sure if this has changed though.

If it's a company vehicle, the BIK charge compared to an A6 will be a huge difference - probably flat rate of £50 a month for the T5. Quids in.

A lot of people are converting normal vans to day vans/campers, so plenty of choice out there. My 2 main gripes are:

1) Use of cheap 'Sportline' copy bodykits. Some repros are OK, but some are just shocking.
2) People trying to sell a 180k mile van, with a conversion, for £25-£30k - barmy! It's gonna need some right work on the suspension, steering and engine very soon, but want top dollar.

There's some bargains out there to be found, with low mileage. My advice would be buy low mileage/newest one you can get, with as many toys as possible, with the correct engine for your needs. Then convert it properly, exactly how you want it, over time. Then you have a good base van, with the right conversion for your needs.

I ran a t4 caravelle for 6 yrs, great daily but not without issues (mostly it's addiction to petrol) great for shorter runs out but driving long distances I found it to be very uncomfortable. They rust too but it did have 220k on it when we sold it and it was still going strong.

I've run a new T5 Kombi for three years now as a day car and for holidays. No issues at all, very easy to drive. Taken it around France several times. I chose some upgrades when i bought it like A/C, rear heater etc so just fine.

Al

Latest posts