Tappet adjustment screw disappeared.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barney

Reaction score
Hi all
Is it possible for an adjustment screw to disappear down the pushrod tube.
My screw came out at some point. I have the locknut but no sign of the screw.
I have all the pushrods out, put a magnet down the tubes but no sign of it.
Is it possible for the screw to work its way down the tube, past the cam and into the sump?
Beginning to lose the will to live at the mo.....
Any help gratefully received!
:cry: :cry:

Theres a small chance I guess.
Definately didnt fall out when the cover was removed?
Were there any signs on any of the pushrods that indicate they had been rubbing on sead loose screw?
A strange one this is :?

Rich

No it won't go any further than the cam follower.

If you've removed the pushrod tubes, pushrods and rocker shaft for the particular side then have a look down the four holes into the cam follower in the case where the pushrods connect to the case. Weird for it to disappear !! As above didn't fall out when rocker cover removed!!

I can confirm that if the screw has made its way along the push rod tube it is possible for it to drop into the case bottom. Just in front of the follower, at the end of the tube there is a 10mm x 10mm oil drain hole that lets the oil return from the heads, along the tubes and into the case.
It may come out if the oil drain plate is removed.

Rich

Thanks for all your replies.
The screw had managed to work its way down the pushrod tube and into the engine sump.
I had to remove the tube and use a magnet to retrieve the screw.
Replaced the pushrod tube with an adjustable one and drained the oil a few times for good measure.
Completed a 450 mile round trip this weekend with no problems.
Happy days
:D :D :D :D

Latest posts