tax exempt ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Reaction score
Hi , I have seen a bay that i may be interested in but it was registered in early 1973 . I know that i can check the year of manufacture by the chassis number ,but does anyone have the link to where these chassis numbers can be checked ? I have not asked for chassis number yet from the current owner.

Thanks guys

Low n slow said:
You need the date it was built, not the date it was registered. Does the current owner not know this?

this is what i am trying to find out what year it was made . my question is :

is there a site that has a list of chassis numbers ? (i.e 13562788 to 13678990 was manufactured in this year )

Thanks

You can tell by the 3rd and 4th digits in the chassis number.
02 -1970
12 -1971
22 -1972
32 -1973, etc

For example the chassis number 2302 241 209 denotes a kombi manufactured in 1970 with a serial no. of 241 209

sparkywig said:
02 -1970
12 -1971
22 -1972
32 -1973, etc

For example the chassis number 2302 241 209 denotes a kombi manufactured in 1970 with a serial no. of 241 209

Thanks dude very helpful indeed

:mrgreen:

sparkywig said:
02 -1970
12 -1971
22 -1972
32 -1973, etc

Surely its model year and not build year.......

ie a model year of 03 as long as its pre jan 73 will be tax exempt......still butt ugly with those high level lights though....

Araon said:
sparkywig said:
02 -1970
12 -1971
22 -1972
32 -1973, etc

Surely its model year and not build year.......

ie a model year of 03 as long as its pre jan 73 will be tax exempt......still butt ugly with those high level lights though....

The Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club, is empowered by the DVLA, to certify a VW Type 2's date of manufacture. :D

VW Type 2s of 1973~79 model-years, can have both low & high-level, front-indicator lamp units; possibly using one set as daytime running lights, which might be needed after August 2012.

naskeet said:
VW Type 2s of 1973~79 model-years, can have both low & high-level, front-indicator lamp units; possibly using one set as daytime running lights, which might be needed after August 2012.

Steady on Nigel, don't start a panic

"There is no requirement to retro-fit DRLs to existing cars and no Europe-wide requirement for drivers of cars without dedicated daytime running lights to drive with headlights on during the day."

Low n slow said:
naskeet said:

Steady on Nigel, don't start a panic

"There is no requirement to retro-fit DRLs to existing cars and no Europe-wide requirement for drivers of cars without dedicated daytime running lights to drive with headlights on during the day."

Not yet there isn't, but I shall be closely following the motoring press and government regulation's revisions, as the deadline approaches!

lobie said:
whats this all about daytime lights ??
It's for new vehicles from August next year, if it goes through. There are no plans to retro-fit daytime running lights on any other vehicle. I think someone was on a wind up. :(

Low n slow said:
lobie said:
whats this all about daytime lights ??
It's for new vehicles from August next year, if it goes through. There are no plans to retro-fit daytime running lights on any other vehicle. I think someone was on a wind up. :(

Low n slow said:
Lets not let things run away now Nigel, scaremongering is not what it's all about.

I wasn't trying to scare or wind anyone up! It would be unusual for regulations to be introduced, which would require the modification of existing vehicles or the retro-fitment of supplementary equipment.

However, I am wary that regulations, such as the Road Traffic Act, could later be revised, which would govern where, when and how existing vehicles are driven, including the obligatory daytime use of existing lighting equipment or giving the option of voluntary retro-fitment of dedicated accessory equipment, such as proprietory DRLs.

For new cars and light vans, first registered after early-February 2011, automatic daytime running light provision (including dipped headlamps), is now obligatory. This regulation will come into force for new heavy lorries, coaches and buses, first registered after early-August 2012. What changes will be implemented after that time remains to be seen.

Because I intend to resume campervan tours, in various European countries (including Scandinavia), where DRLs have been obligatory for several years, I want to avoid using my 100/80W H4 headlamps during daylight, unless prevailing weather conditions, make this appropriate.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/TaxationClasses/DG_4022042" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Taxing Historic vehicles

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_065254.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quoted from the DVLA Information Leaflet INF34:

(If the V5C indicates that the vehicle was registered from 1 January 1973 up to and including 7 January 1973, we will let you register it as a historic vehicle, based on the assumption that the vehicle would have been made in the previous year).

had a 73 devon so was registered early feb 73 ,but the po had got a birth cert and it showed build date as 29 dec 72 .free tax 8) (got it for the misses but never got round to fixing it :roll: )

Latest posts