That's 68 Entertainment

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chippy

Reaction score
Well got back on the road this and year finally got everything working so what else would you do?

Image0623.jpg

Image0627.jpg

Image0629.jpg

Image0631.jpg

Image0642.jpg

Gets dark quick this time of year don't it

Yes a uk rhd Bus http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34849" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Engine was made up out of a 75ish bottom end line bored new bearings and put together with the old engines single port parts.
All of the single port parts have proved to be completly f#*>#d one by one.
When i first got it going again it drank as much oil as petrol which was the old engines pistons and barrels so changed them.
This time i got it on the road again and it just drank fuel like crazy and filled sump with fuel the carb had dropped the accelerator pipe don't know where it went so new carb (+shiny filter ;) ) fuel pump and alternator as dynamo+regulator cooked batterys.
So the idear is to change to twin port as single port heads are cracked and rough.
The problem is one bad idear leads to another and i thought i would go a bit further and change the cam and followers as these were reused worn ones but so far i've sent one new cam back as the quality was bad and i spilt oil all over the drive and myself taking it into the workshop(didn't drain it :oops: )
Things can only get better right? or alot worse

Image0659.jpg

Guess i need a new oil pump

Image0663.jpg

Good drop of sludge on the oil drain plate

Image0681.jpg

Is it worth changing to 1641cc pistons and barrels as i have taken them off
The standard ones i have now are still tip top not sure if i would notice any increase in power
Anyone got an opinion

Don't bother you won't notice. Put the money towards twin carbs would get you more power.

Thanks for comments i was thinking such a small increase in cc would not make a great difference
I have a twin choke progressive carb for when its back together whats the best carb for performance and economy
I'm not sure the carb i have is jetted right will see how it runs may need to blow some more money on it

Split the case today still looks good

Image0691.jpg

Followers are worn cams not as bad as i thought it was

Image0692.jpg

Ordered a new standard camshaft and was sent a Empi one! this had a pit on the lobe so it went back the next one had pits and chips to the lobe edges.So it has gone back to.There is alot to be said about the quality of original German parts compaired to repo.When you order a new part then feel the old part is better than the new.Anyway refitted original cam with new followers should be good for alot more miles.

Image0704.jpg

Gave the case a clean up to
Image0705.jpg

Love this thread Chippy :D I can vouch for twin carbs increasing power as my 40 dells are awesome. Bought them 2nd hand and re-jetted them. I reckon they've increased MPG too (26-27 MPG) and my motor has 95,000+ miles on it.
They will probably have paid for themselves in 20 yrs time :lol:

Thanks for the tip Barkafer were they from a different size engine to yours as you changed the jets or is that another tip for a bit of economy
Here's to the next 20 :D
Glad you like the thread i thought if i started a thread about what i was doing it would encourage me to pull my finger out and get it done and not leave it in bits

Got the oil pump in today it was a bit tight even with the case bolts near it loose
Image0711.jpg

Sat the engine in front of the blow heater for half an hour or so and put the pump outside in the cold then it fell in its good when a plan works
Image0712.jpg

looks better than the old one i destroyed getting out to see how many studs the cam wheel had in the end didn't matter as i put the same dam thing back :roll:

Ebay bargin heads cleaned them up seem to be ok.No cracks,loose seat etc

Image0633.jpg

Image0733.jpg

Image0727.jpg

Image0729.jpg

Just needs putting together then

Image0737.jpg

Con rods in the right way up this time for some odd reason when i took it apart the front two had the casting marks down

Image0738.jpg

I guess this is where the carb parts went after i cleaned the carbon from the top of the piston it was covered in tiny marks.It ate them!

Image0759.jpg

Image0736.jpg

New head studs

Image0741.jpg

looking more like an engine again now

Image0762.jpg

Another problem the input seal on the gearbox leaked onto the clutch thats going to help!

Image0769.jpg

Anyway end float set

Image0767.jpg

Some new seals

Image0770.jpg

Image0771.jpg

Torqued up flywheel

Image0772.jpg

The next bad idear number 35 or there abouts is fitting ratio rockers which after the cam disappointment i'm please with what i've been sent

Thanks for the encouragement starting to need it now.The ratio rocker idea was good apart from one side i took it out off the packaging bolted it on with mount shims done but the other side didn't fit over studs cue mucking about with rocker side shims.Got it about right now could be worse have seen pictures of people milling,grinding and allsorts to get them right.

Image0843.jpg

Topped of with Taiwan's finest.Probably all worked out this is not a big bucks build

Image0853.jpg

This was in a trade Mag today maybe new concept transporter?Electric drive!

Image0841.jpg

A bit more bolted on.I think i should invest in an engine stand one day :)

Image0863.jpg

Great thread. Engine is looking great and it's nearly there! Keep up the good work.

Giving me all sorts of ideas about stripping my engine.

Worth the faff of getting them built up right for your head - I guess the tolerance for the studs is a bit vague?

I've just been re-shimming someone's rockers - I had to prise one shaft off the studs, god knows how the builder got it on! Hammer? There was 1-2mm for the inlet rockers to slide about and the exhaust ones were almost solid. A bit of trial and error required to get them right.

Admire your engine building skills you make it look easy! I fitted 36 dellortos after I fitted a weber progressive - What a difference. I wouldn't bother with the progressive carb. I love the dells and they're better on fuel as well!!

Great to see the progress. I will be referring to this thread as I have a couple of motors to re-build :D
Your workbench looks about as busy as mine. It's amazing how many tools seem to make it out of the box and then just sit there looking at you, waiting to be re-homed! :lol:

I picked up a pair of Brazilian TP heads from this forum, one of which shows the same casting number as yours (59)! Mine are pretty good too :D

Latest posts