The BWA Westy ongoing.........

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah good idea mate thanks - will give it a go - just out of interest does anyone know how the bed would have been fitted originally? did the continentals have different poptop hinges or something?

About time you updated this thread Rob :lol:
Nice to see you the other week and might be calling on you for some advice / muscle soon if thats ok :?

this thread is well overdue an update - In no particular order i'll start with today! had the afternoon off so thought it was about time i fitted my dropped spindles ive had lying about for ages. started with the tyres 185/60/14 replacing the original 185/75/14. then the spindles, F:mad:k me, i'd never thought i'd say this but the bus is too low!!!!!! the shocks have had it so this doesnt help, also the arse is up in the air so pretty mental rake going on, until i get my spring plates! thinking of getting some coil overs, are the T2D the best to go for or are the cheap ones form GSF any good??

Still got to set the tracking and camber, i set the camber up on max neg (i think) notch on adjuster facing chassis rails.
I'll measure the drop tomorrow and post some more pics 8)
DSC03615.jpg

Standard
DSC03617.jpg

new tyres
DSC03618.jpg

DSC03619.jpg

spindles
DSC03620.jpg

DSC03621.jpg

sorry for the shite photos but i'm tired!!
more tomorrow

just noticed the salad cream in the spice rack 8) oh and the horrible eye lid things that i havnt got round to binning!

To low? Are you sure :lol:
Nice to know that dropping the tyre size also lowered it by nearly 1.5"
Have you also changed the rear tyres?

well put it this way it grinds out pretty good - but only cos the arse is in the air big time - no time today - but pics tomorrow will paint the picture :?

r73 said:
Anyone shed any light on a small problem i'm having with the continental bed??
when the bed is pulled to the back of the bus where it should be - when you close the poptop the hinges catch on the bed brackets that rest in the aperture? in the pic i have pulled the hinges inside the bed brackets - if the bed is any nearer the front the poptop doesn't drop down enough.
Any help - guidance appreciated, cheers

DSC02803.jpg

The continental bed wasn't designed for an Early bay and there are a few differences, length and width of opening. They will kind of work but not as well as in a 73/74 as designed.

Check out the ridiculous rake!!

So about a 5 and 1/2 inch drop!. I realise the front will come up a bit when i lower the back, but not sure by how much - have to wait until i get my springplates :D
not really drivable at the moment to be honest - every dip in the road and the beam bottoms out. coil overs from alex at transporterhaus me thinks as well.

faux said:
r73 said:
when the bed is pulled to the back of the bus where it should be - when you close the poptop the hinges catch on the bed brackets that rest in the aperture? in the pic i have pulled the hinges inside the bed brackets - if the bed is any nearer the front the poptop doesn't drop down enough.

DSC02803.jpg

The continental bed wasn't designed for an Early bay and there are a few differences, length and width of opening. They will kind of work but not as well as in a 73/74 as designed.

cheers faux - thought something funny was going on! I've left the bed un bolted at the front and i just have to move it back when the roof comes down. not ideal but works ok i guess.
do you think if i replaced the bed supports for your ones it would be enough, or is it the shape of the bed itself that is too different?

Finally got rid of that ugly spare wheel carrier - it wouldnt fit in the garage with the wheel on the front anyway!
DSC03642.jpg

Unfortunatly when the wheel carrier was fitted they moved it up a tad and drilled new holes :?: so i've got to fill them. i guess the best way is to fill them with weld and then grind them back?
DSC03636.jpg

DSC03635.jpg

BTW Froggy did you find the best place for paint in the end? i might get a rattle can of perl white just to dress it in for now

creationblue said:
Nice Westy, looks good with the bling bumpers 8) not seen chrome overiders before either.

Just

I like them too! 8) I think Alex (Jesus) has a set on the back of his :? I might be mistaken :lol:

Karl

Looking Really good Karl, if a little rakey :D - Bumpers are a real touch. I wouldn't decide on the front until you get the shocks sorted mate - they are probably adding to the travel if they are shot which may be is when you are grounding the beam - My T2D coil overs are good but I'm still thinking to get stiffer coils to firm it up a bit.

Are your arches tubbing out?

Will.

yeah the main problem is the shocks being shot the beam is getting a real bashing at the mo - its pretty much undriveable. my slamwerks springplates should be here soon so dropping the back should help take some weight off the front as well. Do you reckon i should lower it one outer spline as well? i would like some adjustability up and down really for when were loaded up camping. everynow and then she tubs out. do coil overs actually lift it - cos i dont really want to go any higher unless i choose to adjust it on the shocks

r73 said:
Finally got rid of that ugly spare wheel carrier - it wouldnt fit in the garage with the wheel on the front anyway!
DSC03642.jpg

Unfortunatly when the wheel carrier was fitted they moved it up a tad and drilled new holes :?: so i've got to fill them. i guess the best way is to fill them with weld and then grind them back?
DSC03636.jpg

DSC03635.jpg

BTW Froggy did you find the best place for paint in the end? i might get a rattle can of perl white just to dress it in for now
Not really, brown bros.. in byfleet will do a rattle can but want £12.50 + VAT or 1litre of cellulose for £45+VAT (+thinners + VAT + primer+VAT you get the idea) so still looking, if you manage to find anyone 1st let me know

yeah the main problem is the shocks being shot the beam is getting a real bashing at the mo - its pretty much undriveable. my slamwerks springplates should be here soon so dropping the back should help take some weight off the front as well. Do you reckon i should lower it one outer spline as well? i would like some adjustability up and down really for when were loaded up camping. everynow and then she tubs out. do coil overs actually lift it - cos i dont really want to go any higher unless i choose to adjust it on the shocks

The coil over's won't lift it unless you choose the wrong size, but they should limit the travel more which will reduce the bashing (hopefully). And as you say the rear doesn't help, and it doesn't take much to make it feel bad. Changing my tires from 65's to 60's and turning the springs on the coil overs to their firmest setting stopped my tubbing. I can't remember how I set my splines up, but like you (I'm running 14'' and 185 / 75's at the rear) I set them up so I could wind the adjustable spring plates up when taking a full load and unwind them when not. I'll let you know but think two inners rings a bell ;)

Did you cut you rubber bump stops down at the front ?

r73 said:
faux said:
r73 said:

DSC02803.jpg

cheers faux - thought something funny was going on! I've left the bed un bolted at the front and i just have to move it back when the roof comes down. not ideal but works ok i guess.
do you think if i replaced the bed supports for your ones it would be enough, or is it the shape of the bed itself that is too different?

There would still be a few problems with clearance, give me a call and I can talk you through some solutions.

Van is looking great by the way 8)

latest pics - now with 'SLAMWERKS' springplates and down one spline
DSC03764.jpg

DSC03763.jpg

DSC03761.jpg

DSC03754.jpg

DSC03753.jpg

DSC03752.jpg

DSC03749.jpg

DSC03748.jpg

Latest posts