The BWA Westy ongoing.........

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Driveable? yeah in a fashion - still need to get new shocks for the front - gonna put on cheapo gas beetle ones for now, until I see how Grahams coil overs he's working on turn out or the monroe airs from Evil Ben's.
Also got a strange noise coming form the back somewhere - will look into it over the weekend. could be brakes, bearings, cv joint? pretty vague diagnosis hey!

Just the brakes sticking - sorted now - done new rear bearings shoes and cylinders so shouldnt have to touch the back for a while. Fingers crossed.

mind you it took 5 minutes with the oxy torch to get the rear hub undone!

Put some cofap beetle rear gas charged shocks on the front £17+vat from GSF each. transformed the ride, havn't dumped the beam for a good few miles now!

r73 said:
Just the brakes sticking - sorted now - done new rear bearings shoes and cylinders so shouldnt have to touch the back for a while. Fingers crossed.

mind you it took 5 minutes with the oxy torch to get the rear hub undone!

Put some cofap beetle rear gas charged shocks on the front £17+vat from GSF each. transformed the ride, havn't dumped the beam for a good few miles now!

scrap that-ok on my own just but loaded up - forget it - nicked the gr2's off the back for now - better - but not perfect - coilovers next!

GR2's, dropped spindles and springplates

DSC04188.jpg

DSC04189.jpg

DSC04190.jpg

well ive done as much as i can do.
put in a 1641 77 beetle engine i got off a bloke on vzi - cos the old engine had low oil pressure.
push rod tubes leaked - so out it came again.
back in and no leak from the tubes but its weeping a bit from a case stud - hope its not to bad - looks like it will have to do for now.

Were off to Cornwall on monday!!
mate i'm paranoid somethings gonna go wrong!

the engine seems to run ok - although i swear i can hear a slight ticking noise from the No.3/4 side of the engine.
Oil pressure is 50-60 psi on start up and drops to about 15 when fully warmed up (about 190 degrees)

Got a gasket set coming from eurocarb tomorrow for the 36 dells cos they leak very slightly - so gonna have a look at them - and put the firetec in from the group buy.
got the front wheel alignment done as well - much better - after fitting the dropped spindles.

got 3 very excited kids!!! I just need to chill out and stop stressing - i'm sure she'll be alright
keep you all posted.....................

Pics on their way

Once u got the 1st 10miles out the way you'll be fine mate. Then sit back enyoy the ride n grab a cold cider when u get there 8)

Van looks gr8 too

Just

New curtains - courtesy of VW camper Curtains - thankyou for the quick turnaround
IMG_0125.jpg

Engine out
IMG_0079.jpg

Engine in
IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

what it doesnt show is it coming back out (leaking pushrod tubes - and going back in)!!!

Update - bout time :oops:

Engine back out :(
066-1.jpg

heads off
067-1.jpg

new seals
068-1.jpg

getting dark - super quick test drive before the west country in the morning 8)
081-1.jpg

ready for the off
DSC02642.jpg

082-1.jpg

083-1.jpg

next stop polzeath - just under 250 miles - no problem 8)
088-1.jpg

087-1.jpg

squeezed in next to our mates who got there couple of days before
093-1.jpg

086-1.jpg

085-1.jpg

DSC02701.jpg

better than the old bunk!
DSC02636.jpg

not looking very asleep :lol: (pic from last years trip!)
DSC03682.jpg

then we headed up tho Widemouth Bay and stayed with the inlaws for a few days
097.jpg

102.jpg

101.jpg

old vs new :D
098.jpg

getting set up for a barby on the beach with the inlaws and brother in law
122.jpg

Please ignore the bay/splitty thing (brother in laws) :sick0020:
121.jpg

120.jpg

Absolutely no surf - but always worth gettin wet!
123.jpg

DSC04490.jpg

look at that sad face - ti :msn4: me to head home :(
DSC04622.jpg

Lovely pictures 8) Makes me want to head out now.

What :cry: ya plans for this year then - van and holidays :?:

much the same mate - planning on heading west for the first 2 weeks of august, looks like a few others on here might to, so were hoping for a little meet up if possible :)

r73 said:
much the same mate - planning on heading west for the first 2 weeks of august, looks like a few others on here might to, so were hoping for a little meet up if possible :)

Cool and enjoy :D

Love it you use your bus the way its meant to be used, 8) already planning those trips :D me too ;) don't think will be down Cornwall until the end of August :(

creationblue said:
Great pics. Did you loose your camera :lol: ?

More of the same this year I say!!

:lol: back on track now - I take a lot of photos and had all these on an external hard drive somewhere - took a while to find it!

New balljoint time - I decided to get the old ones out myself and then just find a garage with a press to put the new ones in.

The balljoints already out of the trailing arm, but heres how i did it
first cut round the outside of the bottom of the joint (1mm cutting disc)
balljoint4.jpg

its not cut all the way through - turn the arm over and hit the top of the threaded part
balljoint1-1.jpg

balljoint2-1.jpg

then using a hacksaw, carefully cut through the inner part left in the arm - I did one cut on 3 of them and tried 2 for the last, it was a bit easier to get out but none of them were that bad.
balljoint3.jpg

i then used a drift the right size to sit just inside the balljoint against the inner section - and hit hard about 30 times with a hammer!
balljoint5.jpg

x4 and job done - all in all it took about 2hours including scraping off all the old crap and cleaning down the arms :D

most of the arms look like this - a bit rusty and slightly scored from the splines on the old balljoints - after a bit of a clean with wire wool this is about as good as i can get them
balljoint-1.jpg

will they be ok for new joints??
I've heard most people use Lemforder balljoints about £15 each from GSF??

Latest posts