the life and times of Doris the Dormobile!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
absoulutely brill well done fella ............your lad smile says it all :mrgreen:

chris

Big well done from me Rob. She looks stunning :mrgreen:

Doris said:
At the church.Doris was the youngest bus there!!!...

And the tallest ;) I'm loving the stockness of doris.

Thanks Chris / Leon. Itching to drive her everywhere.

Still got a bit of finishing off to do. Need a gas pipe fitting & the cooker to put back in. Got to run some sealer around the bottom edge of the cabinets,the old 4 pin indicator relay is on its last legs,got to get some silent gliss up around the cab area,might adjust the gear stick position as she doesn't always like going into first at a stand(got to briefly select another gear, then she'll take first),got to fit some discreet LED lighting inside,fit ali side step,front mudflaps,grease front beam/steering idler & box,another engine& gearbox oil change.....plenty to be going along with!

Just realised....no engine pictures....doh!

Wow! :mrgreen:
I turn my back for 2minutes.... U only dropped the engine in a few weeks back n now its done. It looks amazin bud. U done so well there! Can't wait see it in the flesh.... U visitin any shows soon? Top job Rob! 8) :mrgreen: :p :D 8) :mrgreen:

Doris said:
a few pictures of her current state..........

b01217ff.jpg

2050bd03.jpg

823f3db9.jpg

567dc4cc.jpg

92537e63.jpg

05f103ad.jpg

Stunning work that man, congratulations. Hats off all round :D

Thanks for the comments chaps! Nobs,Hopefully doing deva,action & tatton park!

The advantage of night shift is,you can tinker during the day, like fitting a side step :D .........
5c18f6f3-a90f-a0d7.jpg

I have been following your build thread from the start and today I re-read it from the beginning.

I just wanted to say well done, an outstanding job. Its good to see such quality work and your Dormy must now be one of the very best. The finish is superior to when it left the factory. You must be very proud of it.

I am glad to see I am not the only one to be rather OCD about rust and rust traps. For instance, your solution to the fiddly job of fitting the door window trims is interesting. I resorted to filling them with Dinitrol.

On the furniture, your colour choice looks much better than that used originally (I always wondered why Dormobile chose to use such a strange coloured formica). My only worry would be how well the fablon will cope with aging and everyday wear and tear when in use as a camper, particularly where the bed base rests on the table. It will be interesting to see how you get on.

Congrats on a great bus. :)

Thanks Trikky! Praise in deed :D I know what you mean regarding the Fablon. I don't expect it to last another 40 years,and as upsetting as it is, I know one day the furniture will no doubt need re making using the OG as template.

I'm paranoid about rust.next job is to coat the roof side of the rain gutters with bilt & hamber dynax. Going to mask it up so it's just the inner part of the gutter out out of sight ;)

Would like front mudflaps as well but not too happy about drilling into the out rigger,still working on that.currently thinking about a self tapper,with a rubber washer to hold the flap away from the body.this will stop crud collecting behind the flap & seal the area where the screw is.

Thanks again mate!

Had 'secure a car' from Stafford fit a security system today. Excellent service & recommended!
A Thatcham aproved system fitted,not going into the details on a public forum, but suffice to say,if you so much as look at Doris the wrong way......I get a text message! So now Doris is alot more secure!
0261315c-b164-62c1.jpg

Good idea on the security, its scary how regularly buses seem to get stolen. makes you wonder where they go...

Are these systems still very expensive? I looked at trackers a while back but the monthly service charge mounted up over a year or two.

Thats a very steep hill where you park by the way ;) :lol:

Trikky2 said:
Good idea on the security, its scary how regularly buses seem to get stolen. makes you wonder where they go...

Are these systems still very expensive? I looked at trackers a while back but the monthly service charge mounted up over a year or two.

Thats a very steep hill where you park by the way ;) :lol:

I've just heard too many stories about them being picked up & put on the back of a lorry.yes still expensive Tricky but its just not worth it.

This is a new phone so I'm still learning about it,sorry for the stiff neck :grin:

Took the single wheel trailer on its maiden voyage.taken a few pics.for those interested,its an ERDE single wheel trailer & from the little amount of info I can find,they were built between 1950-60 in France.not seen another in UK & only found pics of two or three others abroad,so a pretty rare bit of kit. Fell in love with it as soon as I saw it :)

If has a metal tubular frame which I painted 'lotus white' to match Doris. It has two coil springs & a single shock absorber.There is a tube framed canvas top (not shown in these pics),not dissimilar to a Bay pick up.

Check out the pic of the hitch.there is an adapter plate sandwiched between the standard ball and tow bar.the trailer bolts to this.it has two 'pistons' to take the strain when covering.if you want to reverse,you have get out of your seat & operate a little latch over each piston to stop the trailer turning!
It originally just had reflectors on the rear & I've found out that lighting is not required due to its size,however I've decided to fit old wipac lamps (from an old BSA bantam ) which are still in keeping with the trailers vintage.I don't want some dippy teenage girl running into the back of me cos she must judged its size!!! Finishing touch was a 'Jadet' mudflap to match the bus (coincidentally,Jadet are a French make). Hope you like....

Doristrailer2.jpg

Doristrailer1-1.jpg

Picture of the hitch arrangement .....

Doristrailer3.jpg

'load testing'............
Doristrailer.jpg

Latest posts