the life and times of Doris the Dormobile!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice work on the trims,very tidy job , fitted mine the normal way and cut my big fat fingers to shreads :roll: your getting there now fella nice work .................keep at it ;)

chris

cheers rob and zed,
Prime before I seal.

I think I'm mental taking all the underseal off because it's got quite a good key although it's pretty brittle, but there is no rot just a light surface rust where the seal is thin. Oh well, I've started now...

I was worried about where all the sand is going to end up. i.e. in the chassis rails and i think i'm going to take off the belly pans 'cause this is the only bit that looks bad( through the westy sink drain holes) but i don't want to blast the whole thing. I hate sand blasting but it is by far the best way to kill any rot.

thanks for the replys

Great work with the trim - looks very good 8)

Yes, should always paint the metal before seam sealing.

Thanks Andy - always positive ;)

crede999 said:
nice work on the trims,very tidy job , fitted mine the normal way and cut my big fat fingers to shreads :roll: your getting there now fella nice work .................keep at it ;)

chris

Thanks Chris,
just saw you on beetle crisis :mrgreen:

Doris said:
Thanks Andy - always positive ;)

crede999 said:

chris

Thanks Chris,
just saw you on beetle crisis :mrgreen:

I've never said " old folk "before :lol: or since that interview :lol:

Chris

headlining fitted!!. more difficult than I thought,despite looking at VW trends website and trawling the internet. I got the headlining from JR & CP Wood at bus freeze and in my opinion, there was not enough slack to make for an easy fit. This is the only job that has beaten me so far on the bus.I wonder if it was so difficult because it was such a short piece to fit or simply because I've never done it before.The Dormobile trim will finish it off around the roof aperture and I've got to clean the glue off around the edges & put a spot in here and there.Thankfully Lee of Kraftwerk offered to fit it for me.....

Headliningfitted.jpg

Headliningfitted1.jpg

Finishes the 'cockpit' nicely 8)

Mine needs doing but you have just put me off :( Might see if I can clean it up and re-glue it instead.....

gninnam said:
Finishes the 'cockpit' nicely 8)

Mine needs doing but you have just put me off :( Might see if I can clean it up and re-glue it instead.....

Ta bud.Honestly Andy, it's a pig of a job! It makes fitting the cab door glass & scrapers look like changing a bulb :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hey Rob, signed up now, cant believe the extent of how much ya have had done, its an amazin thread. Its gonna be such a solid n cool bay when complete. You've got some great pics in here, lovin the interior ya got too - the mrs prefers yours to the pic i got of what i want. I'll keep an eye on this thread for sure!

Rob (cream 68 bay at kraftwerks)

Yo nobby :mrgreen: thanks for the comments bud! welcome to earlybay .....you'll love it!! just left a comment on your gallery thread.

cheers - Rob

know who i`ll hola for advice when fitting Rets them lol :mrgreen: harry reckons ret will be mot`d this year, even if not finished...i think he`s a wonderful dreamer :lol:

started sorting out the engine bay today..fitted fuel tank filler neck.Fire wall,fitted the tar boards,fixed the firetec system in place.got the regulator & wires in place ready for the engine to go in.those rubber seals are a pig to get round the bell housing bulkhead arn't they!?

Thought I'd post a picture of these.I've gone for for stainless Allen headed bolts, the sort sold by volksbolts.They give a nice clean look I think.I've had to re use old bolts & screws in places and to my eye it doesn't look right against the new paintwork,so I'll gradually work through them all replacing any mangy ones for this type.Here is the bolts I've used on the hatch.…
5c18f4c5-6a07-8d61.jpg
fuelfillerfitted.jpg

tomorrow going to fit battery and run through the lighting,indicators etc etc.

startingtofitoutenginebay.jpg

startingtofitoutenginebay1.jpg

great thread, nice looking bus!
do you ever get to midland rd on your travels in your class 70's (most of them are in pieces in my workshop) :lol:
drop in and say hello to the grumpy one (kieron) :msn4:

Thanks Ands, chuffed so far mate but the rebuild can't happen quick enough!

Hi K,
How's it going,I'm not in that link that comes to Leeds so I don't come over that way.I'm more North -South than east-west. 4 of us F/L men at Crewe with air cooled though ;) me,lembo & roonstar are on here :D

Thanks jsy !

Yay - a momentous occasion for any rebuild..... The engine refit!

I've this on my bench in the garage for nearly 3 years,so I'm glad to get the space back.

A big thanks to my next door neighbour Jay who kindly helped me man handle the fully built up engine & gearbox into the back of the car at 8 o'clock the night before! It wasn't as bad as the chuckle brothers with a piano but We got there.There is no way I could have done it alone,so thanks J,couldn't ask for a better neighbour :D

So I suppose you want to see some piccys then. Still got a bit of tweaking to do but at least it's all secured in place.....

5c18f4c5-6c95-47f3.jpg

5c18f4c5-6cb6-c9aa.jpg

The fuel line is plumbed in through the fuel cut of solenoid but I can't start her up because I can't find the correct wiring for the solenoid ( if you bought one,you'll know how poor the *instructions* are ). I don't want to fry it by wiring it up wrong but need it up and running soon to move her about.

In the next couple of weeks, she's being trailered to knutsford to have an underside and cavity wax treatment by these guys http://www.rustmaster.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I'm also going along to photograph the process,so I'll post some pics as & when.
Thanks for looking ;)

Latest posts