The Market Gardeners Single Cab - Back in love

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aspro

Reaction score
About time I introduced my new ride.

Some of you will already know I've been chasing a SC for a very long time now. I have been trawling every VW forum around Oz and Europe for the last 2 years in search for a nice solid early baywindow ute. I got obsessed at times and searched google images to stalk current owners and try to persuade them to sell me their pickup. I can't begin to tell you the level of stalking I used to find the right one. Just try to email and PM Italians and Germans using google translate. I once even spotted a SC in the background of a picture for another car for sale and tried to persuade the owner to sell. I know, I know I'm a dirty rotten poacher, but you guys try and find one.

Anyway fast forward to about 4 weeks ago and I was doing one of my standard google searches and one pops up for sale 12 miles away from where I'm living in the UK at the moment. Couldn't beleive my luck, it was exactly what I was looking for. The guy posted the advertisement on Thursday night and I was the proud new owner by Saturday morning. Luckily for me he respected the first to call first to see policy otherwise I probably would have missed out.

Enough of the BS. Quick rundown. 1968 UK delivered RHD single cab. Velvet green, original interior and engine. Solid as a rock with 62,000 original miles and the documentation to support it, even the original sales receipt. A market gardener bought it for 624 pounds and used it for around 12 years. Apparently something happened and he put it in his shed for about 20 odd years till his son pulled it out in 2004 restored it and got it back on the road. All OG except for the alloys which are on their way out. Anyone want a set of NSU RO80's?

Basic plan is simple. Return little bits and pieces back to stock, steel wheels, mild lowering, set of hoops and that will do for now.

DSC02299.jpg

DSC02298.jpg

DSC02303.jpg

DSC02304.jpg

DSC02307.jpg

DSC02310.jpg

Not every day you see this. 2 UK RHD early bays in the same place. Here it is next to Simon's Sipickup on here.

IMG_6856.jpg

Definitely needs lowering asap.

IMG_6858.jpg

Glad to see your perseverance has paid off.
You definitely have yourself a beaut there!

Thanks for all the comments guys. Really appreciated.

Went for a nice cruise yesterday and had a bit of a tinker. Can't wipe the smile off my face. :D

That's looking really nice, are you going to bring it along to the Lincoln meet up a week on Tuesday?? Wouldn't mind a look at it :)

I might have a set of wide 5 steels for sale, they came off the crewcab. Tyres are shot, I'd need to have a look at the rims and see what condition they are in. Let me know if you're intersted

A bit of an update for you history buffs. Just had a chat on the phone with the original owner. Confirmed a few things for me and shone some light on others.

He drove and used the truck for his business for a few years untill it was parked up in his garage for almost 20 years only being driven occassionally. He sold it to an auto electrician around 2003 who restored it, not that it needed much work according to the OG owner. The auto elec put a couple of thousand miles on it and sold it to the guy I bought it off. So I can confirm the 62,000 odd miles on it are definitely original. That's is my opinion is amazing for a 4 year old vehicle let alone a 44 year old one.

I also had a chat to his son who confirmed his dad is as anal as they come when it comes to looking after his possessions which is why the pickup is in the condition it is in today. It's a credit to him really.

Promised him I would drive it up in the Spring to reunite him with it. It's the least I could do since he looked after it for me for all those years. :D

aspro said:
A bit of an update for you history buffs. Just had a chat on the phone with the original owner. Confirmed a few things for me and shone some light on others.

He drove and used the truck for his business for a few years untill it was parked up in his garage for almost 20 years only being driven occassionally. He sold it to an auto electrician around 2003 who restored it, not that it needed much work according to the OG owner. The auto elec put a couple of thousand miles on it and sold it to the guy I bought it off. So I can confirm the 62,000 odd miles on it are definitely original. That's is my opinion is amazing for a 4 year old vehicle let alone a 44 year old one.

I also had a chat to his son who confirmed his dad is as anal as they come when it comes to looking after his possessions which is why the pickup is in the condition it is in today. It's a credit to him really.

Promised him I would drive it up in the Spring to reunite him with it. It's the least I could do since he looked after it for me for all those years. :D

Nice to be able to put a complete history together on a very nice sc
Happy days 8) 8) 8)

Latest posts