The problem with rock and roll beds...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Humphrey

Reaction score
I've never been happy with the Rock and Roll bed setup in our bus. I've tried two different kinds and they both have the same problem. the bed frame takes up most of the usable space under the bed and IMO looks ugly. I've seen some beds done that seem to be nothing more than a couple of hinges either side of the bed/seat and two boards and to me these seem better. There is no bulky frame and they just look tidier. So my question is...are there any draw backs to this kind of set up and should I throw out my RnR bed, buy a couple of hinges from (???) and make a new one? Who's got a home made bed and happy with it? As always pictures and advice highly appreciated!

I haven't used them myself but we do the hinges:

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Rock-and-roll-bed-hinge-kit-211898561_act_shop.product_pID_196740.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Look at this on eBay:

vw volkswagon split + bay camper van bus kombi t2 rock and roll bed full width.

http://bit.ly/1jCzuJn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Item number: 111241386941

He also make 3/4 width beds too. I think it's what's going on the red bus I'm importing.

I made one before and I found that the long width of wood was too flexible and I ended up having to stiffen it up by bolting angle iron to it. I always thought that if I got another a frame one would be much better. Or maybe I should have used thicker wood, maybe someone else has built a few and knows better :)

Humphrey said:
I've never been happy with the Rock and Roll bed setup in our bus. I've tried two different kinds and they both have the same problem. the bed frame takes up most of the usable space under the bed and IMO looks ugly. I've seen some beds done that seem to be nothing more than a couple of hinges either side of the bed/seat and two boards and to me these seem better. There is no bulky frame and they just look tidier. So my question is...are there any draw backs to this kind of set up and should I throw out my RnR bed, buy a couple of hinges from (???) and make a new one? Who's got a home made bed and happy with it? As always pictures and advice highly appreciated!

Have you tried the westy hinges? The factory bed set up is fine, mines 3/4. Just the hinges either side to the woodwork, and thick ply for the base and rear section. Still working well 43+ years later.

Maybe source some thick ply (must be about 18mm+, will get you the size if you want) get a 2nd hand set of OG westy hinges and make a bed up yourself? Or even a 2nd hand bed complete, you can redo it if the wood/veneer are knackered

The link above from VWH looks like a similar setup to the westy hinges

I'll take some pictures or a video of the workings in my westy if it helps.

Cheers

Alistair

aogrady said:
Humphrey said:

Have you tried the westy hinges? The factory bed set up is fine, mines 3/4. Just the hinges either side to the woodwork, and thick ply for the base and rear section. Still working well 43+ years later.

Maybe source some thick ply (must be about 18mm+, will get you the size if you want) get a 2nd hand set of OG westy hinges and make a bed up yourself? Or even a 2nd hand bed complete, you can redo it if the wood/veneer are knackered

The link above from VWH looks like a similar setup to the westy hinges

I'll take some pictures or a video of the workings in my westy if it helps.

Cheers

Alistair

With alistair on this west hinges work really well with the added bonus of a bit of storage underneath, if your making your own you can extend the thing to full width, just need to be handy with wood and have the floor mount from a micro bus in place, if it's a van conversion you will need to weld some in

I had a steel rock & roll bed it was crap
So I bought a hing kit from !!! and used
25mm ply! = no flex. Ta da!
Geordie

Hi,

I made a full width bed up using Bluebird hinges - plenty of storage underneath as no extra steelwork. With thinner ply I did get flex and strengthened with angle iron. I had some new cushions made up last year by Delilah's and they mounted them directly on thicker ply - I haven't had any flex since...

I started off with a full width bed using the hinges. Hated it.

If you are above normal size then they are not strong enough. The first time I camped in my bus I ended up ordering a new bed (It was camper jam arrived fri night and ordered new steel framed bed Saturday morning.)

J.

Hmmm, I was just about to buy a rock n roll bed. Now Im not so sure from what everyone is saying. At the moment I have a Devon style couch which I pull out and it rests on the buddy seats so all the bed is below the engine case. Would anyone recommend changing to Rock n roll from this?

jollatine said:
Hmmm, I was just about to buy a rock n roll bed. Now Im not so sure from what everyone is saying. At the moment I have a Devon style couch which I pull out and it rests on the buddy seats so all the bed is below the engine case. Would anyone recommend changing to Rock n roll from this?

I would, but it depends on how good your set up is. I have a westy rock and roll bed full width and it`s pretty comfy. The front of the box on these is the support that holds up that end of the bed as does the steel frame on the Rusty Lee style bed which also comes highly reccomended, and if and when I change mine that would be the one I`d go for. The problem only seems to materialise when people try to run a rock and roll bed and not support the front end of the bed which is when it all gets a little wonky. I`m sixteen stone and the Mrs is about eight stone and it holds us up no probs ;) The overhang at the front of the rock and roll set up is about fifteen to twenty inches with about six to twelve inches unsupported with one of these ^^^, if you ain`t got that front support across it because you are just running the hinges then it`ll be wonky and the only way around that if you dont support it is to use one inch ply and strengthening ribs under it, even so I don`t think the hinges are tough enough to carry all the weight for too long. :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Try one out at a show is best I think, mines white with leapard bumpers , ;) :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: ;)

Ive got a Rusty Lee one being 6 ft 5 and 16 stone I found the hinges you can buy are too weak unless you beef up the ply I think you need a strong frame to support it.
IMG_5190_zps77f05b88.jpg

IMG_5184_zps193888e7.jpg

Delilah's trimmed mine and built the boards into the cushion so the screw in place and stay put.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Westy hinges with the early support stays go with them is the way to go, that way all of the space under your bed is free when the bed is used as a seat, that's what we have in our deluxe.

I know of someone who had these available new :)

bigdaz said:
Ive got a Rusty Lee one being 6 ft 5 and 16 stone I found the hinges you can buy are too weak unless you beef up the ply I think you need a strong frame to support it.

I'm 6'2" and 19stone (I like the gym :) ) and had the same problem with the hinge style bed so swapped it over for a steel framed one. Easy to pull out into a bed, strong enough to hold me weight.

bigdaz said:

I'm 6'2" and 19stone (I like the gym :) ) and had the same problem with the hinge style bed so swapped it over for a steel framed one. Easy to pull out into a bed, strong enough to hold me weight.

I started with one of the cheapies from ebay and it was OK. I had to spend a day with a mate beefing it up so it didn't sag like a wet towel but did Ok for a couple of years. One thing I will say though is the seat was too high from the ground for the kids to sit in comfortably.

Last year I changed it for one of Rusty Lee's and this is definitely the way forward. Strong, reliable and effective. Once I fit it properly, it will be spot on… Also, the base is closer to the ground so the kids sit lower and the rear belts are in a better position over their shoulders. Did have to relocate the sub box though…

Still using the old foam cushions but am coming under pressure to get decent ones made up, so another order heading Delilah's way in a wee while…

I hear good things about rustys beds!

In my last bus I had a bluebird bed, was a bit more expensive but very well made
Have a look at bluebird customs

Latest posts