The scratch and sniff 71 westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:D fingers crossed man!

This sandblaster....I'm intrigued by it. Could it clean engine parts to make them look new again. Is it messy to use? Portable?

--------------------------------------Own a Bay?....... Feel the love!

Foz said:
:D fingers crossed man!

This sandblaster....I'm intrigued by it. Could it clean engine parts to make them look new again. Is it messy to use? Portable?

Not so much portable as you need a conpresor and electic! It brings parts up like new, Matt silver colour which if you ask me is like new! If you want anything done I'm sure I can sort it out for you drop me a text

Stripped the windows down to be cleaned polished and new seals

Il post some after pics up once there all cleaned up!

Took my spindles and trailing arms off tonight because.... Drum role please

Dropped spindles should be here this week :)
Probably the best part of a build is lowering it!

This is it's new home for the time being!

Welding is being finished off this week and the doors etc being primed next week hopefully!

What do people think of pop tops with roof racks?

Personally I love the look! Something you don't see everyday and that's the way I'm going with my build! The plans still to get it tested and registered by the end of April il trying to get as much done as I can now so there minimal work next month!

Been slacking on the updates lately, to be honest there's not been much going on! Firstly though had my beam narrowed 4" with adjusters welded in, just waiting for people to get back to me about dropped spindles so I can finally get it on 4 wheels again!

New end plates turned up at a bargain price from a great company Vw one on one

My good mate Boother did all the beam work for me with amazing welding skills

Branded by the mater himself, simply amazing work

No paint being applied to this! Just a clear coat so you can see the pure beauty of this thing!

New bearings fitted

Leaf springs shortened and welded up!

Needed to get a replacement as the one had broke, all sorted now though!

Fits a dream though :)
Just awaiting spindles, can't wait to get it on 4 wheels again!!

Buddy box turned up also! Looks amazing and the quality is great!

Also my tubs are in the process of being made, again thanks to Boother

All the fuck ups from the bodyshop are complete including around the windscreen, found out there bodge or workmanship was worse then I thought

After removing the repair panel fitted there had been a patch welded on with 2-3 tack welds to give "support"
Professional!!

Anyway fresh paint is ready!

Doors and other removed panels have been primed and should be fully painted within a few more weeks!
Finally getting somewhere!
7-8 months to try and paint this van properly has really tested my patience!

If the camper hadn't given me enough stress, the joys of a static Dailey finally caused me a bit of drama with a cracked sump!

Went over to see Austin's new Commer camper van! Awesome van! Every time I go and see him, he makes me want one even more!! Don't tell him though!

Myvanway said:
Big up the fabrication skills and wielding, looks cockon that.
You have worked extremely hard on this project..... it shows!

Awesome!
8)

You know what they say, if you want it done properly do it yourself! Glad I've got people helping me now who I know do a spot on job!! Unlike certain bodyshops!! Should be cruising round in her come summer! Low, slow and the windows down! What more do you want really?

Oh wait beer in the fridge too!

Myvanway said:
I loved Commers till I herd a few of them hated VW T2's.... Politics!!! :roll:

Yer... they are cool...... IMO!

Your right Paul they are cool, but read the negative comments posted on fb by their owners club and thought wtf :lol: :lol:

Great news! Be nice to see the new stance when its back on rubber again. Well done on your patience with this project...I know its been a bit soul destroying for you at times, but things are finally paying off now hopefully.

Foz said:
Great news! Be nice to see the new stance when its back on rubber again. Well done on your patience with this project...I know its been a bit soul destroying for you at times, but things are finally paying off now hopefully.

Cheers Foz, hoping early may we will see what it's going to look like painted and on all 4's

Looking grand dood 8) loving the RHD comma! me likey 8)

Likin it, likin it!! :cool:

So, it's been a long toke since my last update but there's been plenty going on..

Finally after 10 months of trying to get my can painted it's finally done. If I'm honest I'm still not 100% happy but it's now got to the point where I need to get it back together and on the road for my deadline, BUSFEST!!!! Il use it for a year or so and then get the bits I'm not happy with sorted! Bound to get some battle wounds from it's first few outings!

Bought one of the first sets of tubs made from trailer queen restorations! After a later night I got then fitted with a little help from a mate

Of course it's not a nice in the workshop without a good old cider or beer

And all painted up :)

Also not to dig but FINALLY got my dropped spindles :)

It was fitted at it's lowest point on the adjusters....

Clearly needed some adjustment!
Nether the less cool as fuck.

Really thought about leaving it's like this as the paint looked cool as hell with how low it is

Decided different though

Got some new wheels too some freshly powder coated wide 5's will do nicely for now

Got the van delivered to my unit Thursday evening too :) hour later it was fully loaded! Bloody lowered vans ;)

Hung the doors and fitted the exhaust too

And got excited and started fitted things that didn't need doing just yet

Keep an eye out my interior will be getting started soon! It's going to be something special ;)

Does anyone know where I can get one of these bottle racks from?

Also does anyone have any wide 5 rear drums back plates shows stub axles the complete works for sale?

There is a complete wide 5 rear set on SSVC for about £300

Sweet 8)

Will you be doinv anything with the steering box as it seems low a in danger?

Haven't posted anything on here for a long time, thought it was time for a update.. Good and bad!

Westy roofs on just need a canvas

Grill and bumper also fitted :)

And rear badge

Engine lid and filler flap too

I removed the aftermarket exhaust due to clearance of only a inch to the floor so it's up for sale

Painted and refitted the standard one

Took the insulation up, rust proofed painted and re applied insulation as I wasn't happy with half the job

Started laying the base flooring down, eyed up the panels and the cab flooring

New custom made wiring loom re routed through the inside of the bus with a detachable engine loom. (Making life easier when removing engine. Because let's face it, it's gonna happen)

Had a 500mile road trip Wednesday night to get some parts. New windscreen and sliding for Mec due to the one I bought prior being wrong!
And a lovely care package from custom and commercial

Now for the bad... Remember the shit ass bodyshop who caused my life hell? Well fitting the boot wasn't as easy as I thoight! Bolted it on went to shut it to line it up...

Impossible!!!
Somehow they've welded the corner on at a angle 11mm to be exact!
Hoping to be able to shut the boot with adjustment but as of yet I'm unable! Even if I can just until I get a spare 600-700 quid to get it sorted! Bastards! All good fun apparently!

Latest posts