The scratch and sniff 71 westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel your pain. When mine returned the interior fitter did not cut down the plugs he used
to hold on the panels. Subsequently I now have pin points all over the hole body sticking out.
Means a complete respray and panel beat each panel, which we can not afford , so just have to live with it.
Problem is you know it is there. :evil: :evil: :evil: Nice work on yours sir and the best colour.

J & P
:D :D :D

gas1man said:
I feel your pain. When mine returned the interior fitter did not cut down the plugs he used
to hold on the panels. Subsequently I now have pin points all over the hole body sticking out.
Means a complete respray and panel beat each panel, which we can not afford , so just have to live with it.
Problem is you know it is there. :evil: :evil: :evil: Nice work on yours sir and the best colour.

J & P
:D :D :D

I feel for you! Nothing worse then paying for something and not getting anything but trouble out of it! You're right, knowing something small is there is just as bad as having a massive dent! Cheers brilliant blue is one of the best if you ask me

68_early_bay said:
Nice to see some good progress Myles 8) just a real shame that the rear hatch has spoiled the party :cry: you'll get there soon, and it'll be worth it chin up :D

Cheers mate, wouldn't be a camper if there was no trouble would there haha

Bit of an epic journey here - hope it reaches a good conclusion. Can I ask where you got your plywood door cards from or are they homemade? Thx John

JohnS said:
Bit of an epic journey here - hope it reaches a good conclusion. Can I ask where you got your plywood door cards from or are they homemade? Thx John

There can only be a good outcome now right? Haha
I actually got them off eBay, it was a complete kit door cards, kick pan, rear door cards and sliding door, rear quarters, boot lid and behind the seats! If I remember I don't even think they were £100

Keep plodding Myles, its getting there man! Is next year going to be the one?? I frickin hope so....for your sanity!! lol

Own a Bay?.........Feel the Love!

Foz said:
Keep plodding Myles, its getting there man! Is next year going to be the one?? I frickin hope so....for your sanity!! lol

Own a Bay?.........Feel the Love!

Next years the one mate, dont think I'm going to make ninove which I'm upset about but bring it on! Interior over the Xmas period and then finishing touches really! Hopefully haha

Re fitted the engine, as removed it to do a few minor things! Good job there easy!

Number plate light

Indicators

Heater flaps

And insulated a little bit more

Fitted the standard exhaust

And a flipped and shortened tail pipe! Don't ask why I just like it :) only temporary until I decide what exhaust I want with good clearance

Messed around with my go pro too...

Started fitting the wiring loom properly so I can get her fired up and running right soon hopefully!

Few more pictures as although it's been stressful and I've been at breaking point up till now... I've still got a soft spot for it! Good bloody job!

8)

Regarding the connector going to the engine bay - if it was me I would use nuts and bolts and not self tappers to secure it ;)

gninnam said:
8)

Regarding the connector going to the engine bay - if it was me I would use nuts and bolts and not self tappers to secure it ;)

Don't worry, I forgot to say I need to remove it all fit gromits in a few places and the self tappers are only there because they were easy to hold it into place on my own :) they will be replace with bolts and nylock nuts :) cheers though

gninnam said:
8)

Don't worry, I forgot to say I need to remove it all fit gromits in a few places and the self tappers are only there because they were easy to hold it into place on my own :) they will be replace with bolts and nylock nuts :) cheers though

So once again it's been a long time since I posted on here! Well what can I say... More downs then ups that's for sure. Being let down things breaking and generally things just being a bitch!
Few things went to plan since last time I posted. Roof canvas fitted westy windows built (bastard) cab doors all built (double bastard) windows in auto glaze would say the same about the one window and help from Waboo automotive for the others!

Few samples of the trim :D super excited about this

Bus went to Waboo for there open day which was awesome!

After that though, gearbox problems! Couldn't get all the gears so engine out and gearbox sent away for a recondition.... Beyond repair! Search for a gearbox started and lucky for me found one cheap with bell housing damage which also lucky for me I had a good one spare.

In the mean time I was trying to set the engine up correctly, ball ache from the word go with misfires no spark cylinder 3 flooding! After over a week I discovered my new distributor was faulty. One of the lobes on the shaft was shallower then the rest not opening the points! So on to a electric ignition distributor. Bish bash bosh! Sorted!

At this point motivation was pretty low! Got the bus back to my work to make life easy working on it and busfest was looming. Engine in the evening I got it back and then a long ass weekend getting stuff done! Everything going perfect! Engine running driving on a high having my first drive

Went on a little adventure around the business estate I work on at the end of the day.... Up the road... BANG!
Adjuster broke on the beam causing it to be a finger width of the floor. Scraped it all the way back and went on a walk to find the missing adjuster!

Beam off for repair!...
:(

Back on 2 days later excited to get the ball rolling again with busfest a week away! Same happened again and busfest was completely off the cards!

Spend the weekend with this view Finishing off a few loose ends with the seats rails and and modifying the seats to clear the tubs while you all had a delightful weekend at Malvern!

Had a week off from working on it as I couldn't bare to even look at it!

Even though she's beautiful! Even on the rain!

Just to add to the nightmare. I've been let down on my wiring loom so I just decided to order a new bespoke look from air cooled autoelec! Waiting on that currently and also stripped the old beam selling parts I don't need! I felt just for ease in the future I'm going to invest in a beam set up just one make... French slammer from graham at midland Earlybay! 4'narrowed with adjusters, trailing arms spindles shocks steering arms the lot! Just get it out of the way' hoping to have the money in a few weeks along with receiving my loom I should be on the road again! And not far from mot... I won't speak to soon because something else will go wrong! To add to the mess a crack started to find its way in the front panel which I insisted on having the dent pulled out with NO filler! And guess what. The dents there and there's a heap load of filler hence the crack!! Pissed off at this point would be a understatement and the thought of getting rid had gone through my head over and over again! The only things stopping me is the fact all I want to do is drive to the beach in a old bus camping and surfing, living the life! Next summer! Next summers the one!

Gutted for you with all the things going wrong :(
Fingers crossed (does look very nice too) :D

Latest posts