Thirsty oil drinking Brazilian with a flat spot!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigtayla

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recently had a new brazilian original vw engine fitted to my 72 bay. Apparently has smaller valves as set up for fuel injection. The engine seems to be still drinking quite a bit of oil after around 2000 miles. The engine loses power/stalls shortly after accelerating away from junctions when it's cold. I hear this is a classic 009 issue but my distributor has a vac advance. The garage recommended refurbing the carb (solex 34 pict 3 with 60 on the choke cover) but trying an identical replacement carb only made the issue worse. A VZi contact, very generous bloke, who spent 2 hours looking at the carb and trying a different one was at a loss as the adjustment screws seemed to make no difference in pitch/speed of the engine. The carb I have on the engine is running really rich and we think it is compensating for some other issue such as air leaks. After getting back from vanfest I notice there is petrol coming through the bush on the left where/when the accelerator pulls from.
I'm going to talk to the garage about the issues but in the meantime can you help/advise?
Is the issue timing/air leak/characteristic of the engine?
What do I do now the carb is leaking petrol? Change the bush?
How much oil should I expect the engine to use?
What's happening? What do I do?
Cheers
Craig

Carb set up shouldn't affect oil usage, unless you getting lots of unburnt fuel by passing the rings and thinning the oil enough to let it back past the rings.

Ring do take time to bed in but I would have thought that it should be ok by 2K miles.
Is it burning the oil or do you have a leak from some where, are the plugs heavily carbon fouled and wet looking, would show that is burning the oil, is the exhaust smokey. How much oil is it using V millage driven.

I would get your carb stripped cleaned and the throttle re bushed (there are posts here on how to do it), then get it properly set up. Then check on your oil usage after a couple of hundred mile, if your still getting heavy oil usage I would contact your engine supplier.

Sounds like you should have some sort of warranty you can claim for this issue.
Address the company who fitted it asap, after all engine probs with a NEW engine are clear warranty cases, expecially when they've been fitted by themselves!!

Cheers for the advice, much appreciated
I'm starting to think you're right T2-Nate, if I start playing around with this engine it may give the suppliers a reason to void the warranty...
I'll check the plugs tomorrow, the exhaust smokes when engine revs are higher.
Oil consumption is something like 1/2 litre in 250 miles but I'd have to check that...
Thanks for your ideas, anything else I need to check/try?

i would do nothing bud and take it back as soon as pos like you say you start playing and things could get messy with your warranty dont need a hedache!!!!
best of luck

leon

Thats quite heavy oil usage, mine only used to used about 1/4L every 2K or so.

Could be rings or valve guides, take it back and get the supplier to fix.

Latest posts