Those hand waves.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velgreeno

Reaction score
Hey folks. Does anyone when out in their buses and you see another bay (rare these days) etc do the no worries sign to them like a shaka wave like in the 90's ha and also flash the lights too ?. Or is that a faded thing now ? Plus when you see the other generation buses, do you wave at them too ? 🤙

Just today we got two hang loose/no worries handwaves from passers by; one from a guy who was part of a jogging bunch which surprised me. Lots of smiles, nods, thumbs up, etc too. Nice that people notice something different.
Yesterday we got flashes from a mk1 golf cabriolet and a slammed 1995 Passat estate. Not many aircooled on the roads up here though these days sadly it appears.
The day before we got hang loose wave/ flash in a traders Peugeot van.
Only had very rare waves/flashes from some modern generation transporters. Some get it, others don’t seem to be in the know.

Last edited:
I only used to wave to other air cooled vehicles, but these days given the rarity of an old bus on the road I acknowledge anyone who waves or gives a thumbs up. I just see it as politely accepting a compliment.

Best wave I ever had was after being followed by the police for a few kilometres in France. I thought I was going to get pulled over but they overtook me and they gave me a big old ‘hang loose’ wave :)

Living in Devon and regularly travelling to the North Devon and North Cornwall coast, we see a lot of VW buses. Loads of Bays, T25’s and occasionally splitties. We always wave to anything aircooled and maybe the odd T4 if they wave first.

There’s a lot of waves exchanged here in North Wales 🤟 between vans of all shapes and sizes.

Winnie got a lot of attention last year when we were near Tenby, waves, flashes, pomp’s, people pointing (sometimes a bit over enthusiastic) etc, made me feel really proud … well, until I parked up at south shore car park and realised I’d driven the last 7 miles with the pop top up 🙈🤣.

Anyone got a youtube link for the type of wave you are discussing ?

I always give the VW wave to any split, bay, or air cooled beetle I pass, whatever vehicle I'm in at the time. They almost always enthusiastically wave back. They know I've got a classic VW back home with that wave, it's almost like a masonic thing! ;)

Same here, I am mostly in our daily runabout when I see an old VW and flash/hang loose wave. Sometimes that goes unnoticed as the intended recipient has paid no attention to a modern car.
Last weekend we surprised the owner of a very cool white early bay factory hightop, lowered on empi sprinstars, parked in the roadside near Hawkshead in the Lakes. I’m sure it was LWU 64H which I’d just seen a photo of on Hayburners Facebook photos from the recent Kafernation2024.

Did miss a couple of waves yesterday on the A350 as I was heading North towards Bristol from Swanage but that wasn’t me ignoring but I was hanging on to the steering wheel for grim death as I was charging down the hill for a run up to the hill on the other side to try and avoid the third gear forty rev race.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,hi ,,, if it was you. :)

Did miss a couple of waves yesterday on the A350 as I was heading North towards Bristol from Swanage but that wasn’t me ignoring but I was hanging on to the steering wheel for grim death as I was charging down the hill for a run up to the hill on the other side to try and avoid the third gear forty rev race.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,hi ,,, if it was you. :)
Carefull thats how I got caught speeding in my 71 Westy 😀😃.

Carefull thats how I got caught speeding in my 71 Westy 😀😃.
Yup, a fair bit of that was dead fifty and getting a run up sometimes at sixty plus could’ve got me in the poo but not on the other side though . I didn’t seem to be able to leave enough gap to-get a run up without some wise guy overtaking me to fill the gap.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, I had a ticket in my van but for 26 in a twenty. :mad:

Been in Cornwall for nearly 2 weeks. Been out in the bus most days. Seen 2 bays and a beetle. That’s it! There’s been at least a bay or split on this campsite for the last 12 years but this year just me. Normally I’m to busy driving to notice anyone waving 😂

Latest posts