Thoughts on electronic ignition?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skin69

Reaction score
As the tittle suggests, I'm debating replacing my points and replacing them with electronic ignition.

What are peoples thougts?

What are some decent brands.

It's a 1776cc in a 69 bay with Vac Dizzy.

Cheers

Nige

123 ignition, very good value for money!

http://www.123ignition.nl/products.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pertronix 2 are excellent. I've had them in my buses for years with never a problem. Much cheaper than 123 and can be fitted to SVDA dizzies.

standard is the best if it aint broke dont fix it :)

i had major problems with Pertronix and only ran on 3cylinders after 500miles use

dave

BJ1 said:
Pertronix 2 are excellent. I've had them in my buses for years with never a problem. Much cheaper than 123 and can be fitted to SVDA dizzies.

I have them too with no bother at all , I have had them in all my cars put them in and forget about them ;)

Job jobbered

Chris

I've had pertronics on 2 buses over 8 years and maybe 24,000 miles. Never had a problem. Fit and forget

simple fit and forget - though expensive for 2 if like me you like to carry every conceivable spare...as it happens I've been chasing a random idling issue and replaced my pertronix thinking it might be at fault.......I now have a spare one :oops:

Have had them in all my old cars - never had a problem (even when I thought I did :D )

I installed the 123 dizzy and it completely transformed the running of the engine. Having spent £k's on various bits over the last year the 123 has been the best purchase so far, with new windscreen wipers next lol.

Well if you do go to the not insignificant expense of buying one then get one with vac advance - the one without is an electronic version of the 009 and will not provide the extra advance at light throttle for economy or the boost on pulling away from rest.

After fitting check it with a strobe from tickover to 4000 rpm - once with hoses off and again with them connected.

Thanks for feedback guys.
I've got a vac advance dizzy already, does the pertronix 2 fit easily?
Do the usual suspects sell them?

Cheers..

jacks906 said:
standard is the best if it aint broke dont fix it :)

i had major problems with Pertronix and only ran on 3cylinders after 500miles use

dave

Have had Pertronix units pack up on me too. One unit completely and one that caused a massively infuriating misfire that took ages to find as it was the one thing I didn't change for ages :roll: I stupidly assumed if it's working then it's working properly!

Latest posts