Threaded sump stud replacement

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgeyv

Reaction score
Hi all -

My engine has a lovely PO bodge where one of the sump studs is missing so it has a little bolt instead - the thread seems to be mullered which is why the stud has been removed.

Has anyone drilled and fitted an oversized stud with the engine in situ? It's running fine and the oil leak is only tiny but I'd like to get it sorted for peace of mind.

Yep, it's not difficult- although to be fair there's one stud that had a nut on the inside of the case which can be a tricky bugger. IF it's that one you'll need to make an offset spanner to get it out. So before you try, take the sump plate off, and look in the hole with a torch. Just make sure that the rubbish stud isn't the tricky one.

http://www.justkampers.com/n0144781-oversized-stud-for-sump-drainer-plate-on-all-vw-beetle-t2-split-and-1600cc-t2-bay.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you'll need a standard m8 tap and a 7mm drill bit (from memory.)

Thanks for the quick reply - will order the bits and get it done!

I've not tapped a thread in anything since design tech in school in 2003, I'm sure this is a perfectly fine place to refresh my memory....

While you have the plate off, check it's nice and flat because it's common for P.O's to over tighten the nuts and distort the sump plate. (They should be tight enough with a screwdriver handle type socket holder).

Also - If you haven't already got one, it's worth changing the plate to the type with a drain plug in the middle.

I had a similar issue with the sump plate and went for a Scat Billet sump plate knowing it would never leak
Not the cheapest item but it doesnt leak or put undue pressure on the bolts

http://www.justaircooled.co.uk/billet-sump-plate-scat-including-plug-and-nuts.html?gclid=CPGbiI7Mp8sCFYMK0wodRDULqw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I saw the billet sump plates but wasn't sure if they were just a bit of bling! What makes them more reliable? a less flexible / thicker material?

Latest posts