Throttle cable outer

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattie

Reaction score
Hi all
I need to replace the outer throttle cable on the bus as mine looks like it's been bent and is catching on the inner cable.(looks like a bike cable outer)
I have belly pans on so have no idea what length it should be...
Pictures or links would be helpful...
It's a 1972 RHD.

Could you take a pic bud? I'm confused by the "bike-style" comment, the original cables rode in steel tubes. I think it was something like 1/2" OD, 16SWG. I bought mine from Underwoods, and you only need 2.5 metres max.

Fair warning though- it's a bastard to fit, and I had the belly pans off!

Ok I believe it has the tube until it comes out from the belly pans. Then from this to the engine it has something like a bike cable outer ....

I take it this isn't standard..?

I modified a Beetle outer cable as couldn't find anywhere that stocked the van one. The Beetle one is too long -it is best cut with a Dremmel cutting wheel or similar to get a smooth edge on the re-enforcing wire - then I found a bit of fuel pie that slipped over the outer and the tube that goes through the fan housing. You may need someone to hold the tube to stop it being pushed back through the fan housing while you do this. I think I got the Beetle tube from VWH or JK, :)

Latest posts