Throttle + hole = eh?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fallingoffalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a hole in the floor of my van under the throttle, letting in cold air (this may be noticeable tomorrow night!). I did a bit of investigation and realised that something was different.

I looked in the Haynes manual and noticed that the index is almost useless, couldn't find any diagrams or even the word accelerator.

It appears that the accelerator pedal is attached to some kind of linkage - it obviously works as I can drive it, but what is it. Hopefully the attached photos make it a bit clearer.

This is the hole with nothing going through it except cold air.
8d747b147b4ca2aa8e7b736e491a1b8f.jpg

This is the other end of the linkage attached to the accelerator pedal (next to the hand brake)
1b4d85c2d22c2b05219fceb388450ef3.jpg

This is the hole from underneath and some redundant looking linkages.
1799efd096fa7bc1ee82817544c93e63.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I’m guessing that yours is a RHD ??? It looks like it from that pic. Most of the RHD vans had a series of linkages under the van that were operated by the pedal. These linkages get sloppier and sloppier over the years, plus the bushing surfaces wear like crazy once they’ve gone past a certain point. The linkages are just a scabby compromise to make a predominately LHD vehicle into a RHD vehicle. On the lefties, the pedal is nearer to the centre of the van but on the righties that mechanism and action needs to get over to the middle somehow and on the Earlies, it was a pretty primitive set up. On the lates, they had an internal mechanism and bar transferring the action to the centre of the van and I think that yours is perhaps a copy of a much bettererer latey mechanism or might even be a latey mechanism. So you’ve still got the hole from where the pedal worked through the floor, I should imagine an Elastoplast would sort that out or a bit of gaffer tape and I’d leave it like that until someone was welding something else (inevitable) then weld a patch and tidy nicely. If that’s the only draft in your bus, then I’m kipping with you tonight :mrgreen: :x :!:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, Stella cures all drafts :mrgreen:

Latest posts