Tintop conversion thread....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluelighttaxidriver

Reaction score
Quite some time ago, there was a thread either here or in the gallery from someone who cut their complete rotten roof off, & replaced with a tintop. Can't seem to find it on search. Need inspiration & tips before I take the plunge....! :)

Tofufi did his own roof swap
SlammedKustom swapped MikeF's devon top , I think the thread was "Devon be gone"
use those names in search

There was a dude named Froggy who was `going to' with a Westy top he`d bought. I don`t think it ever happened and he bought another Westy bus, but I believe he`s now packed it in and sold the bus. I`ve taken my roof off spot weld by spotweld and replaced with a donor also drilled off spotweld by spotweld, are you detecting a theme here ??? :lol: Carefull around the roof at the windscreen. The spots are inside the window aperture and at the corners it`s brazed just above the screen posts so take your time there :? Once you have your old roof panel off, you`ll find out how much of the `subframe ' has disintergrated as well, this is like a two part box section that is slightly squashed to form a parallelagram with a protrusion at opposite corners where the two halves overlap and are `spotwelded' together. This all becomes obvious as you pull it to pieces but it isn`t obvious when it`s a tangled mess off rust and holes :shock: . Also , various converters chopped out bits of bracing here and bits there all over the place, might be a nice touch to replace these at the same time, they`re welded (spots) to the subframe and the roof panel sits over these on a couple of beads of seam sealer, original was big thick black gooey stuff, still gooey 40 years on :shock: . All in all the job is simple enough,it`s a one man job really except for the boredom of drilling / filling spotwelds. HIGHLY recommend Dewalt extreme gold bits for sorting them out, a bit pricey but they saved hours if not days of time, got mine from the gas supply place. Practice drilling out your spots on your donor roof as you`re not worried about the subframe on this, then when you do it on your roof, you`ll have the knack of not drilling right through every time, as the more you do this (drilling through the lot) the more repairs you`ll have. As soon as you start, all will become clear. :shock: One of the big pains in the ass was grinding the spotweld / repairs in the gutter, in the end I rested both elbows on the gutters and ran the grinder useing the tip of the wheel to knock em down. Bought myself an air file, but to be honest was not impressed with it other than for cleaning out the gutters. It`s not recommended I`m sure, but it is a lot easier to rubdown the insides of the gutters on your donor before you drill out the spots and before you fit it too the bus, but if you is outside it`d rust before you got tit sorted. Proper longwinded job but nothing more than patience required ohh and earplugs :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, Drilling /filling. Drilling / filling. Drilling / filling. Drilling / filling, You get the idea :lol: ;) :lol:

Hmmmm thanks.... Think mine may have to be a bit more brutal, as it's the areas 3" above and below the gutters that are rotten through in places, & pretty much all round the inside too... :-( Know someone did a picture thread of cutting the roof off at the pillars, & welding a complete donor roof on. He did a really good job too... Problem I will have on the donor front is that mine is a rhd ex panel van.... :-(
Scary stuff...!

bluelighttaxidriver said:
Hmmmm thanks.... Think mine may have to be a bit more brutal, as it's the areas 3" above and below the gutters that are rotten through in places, & pretty much all round the inside too... :-( Know someone did a picture thread of cutting the roof off at the pillars, & welding a complete donor roof on. He did a really good job too... Problem I will have on the donor front is that mine is a rhd ex panel van.... :-(
Scary stuff...!
I have a late RHD ex panel van tin-top that for the going rate could surrender it's roof if that's any good. You could chop it off where you like. I was going to do the same for someone but in the end we got a different bus to repair so it wasn't needed. If you have sq air intakes (cross-over) it should fit I think. Perhaps someone could confirm this?

Hmmm.... Could be very interested. Mine is an early, but needs the full corners doing too, so if the roof itself is the same, easy enough to get early corners too.... :) Where are you? I'm deepest Cornwall.....!

bluelighttaxidriver said:
Hmmm.... Could be very interested. Mine is an early, but needs the full corners doing too, so if the roof itself is the same, easy enough to get early corners too.... :) Where are you? I'm deepest Cornwall.....!
East Anglia! :lol: Never mind...

When I did mine, I took the roof off of a 72 crosser and plonked it on my 1970. Mine is also an ex panel, but only on one side now :shock: . I also took the offside window frames out of the 72 and married them into my bus, got the nearside to do this chrimbo when we go off the road again. The nearside is slightly more rotten though on my donor window (read very rotten, or as a pear ) so also looking for a suitably impressive donor panel. The curve where the window frame or panel side hits the corresponding bit by the vents is identicle, if it`s not then my hammer was working one night without me :lol: . Not a big fan of chopping them off on the pillars and then re welding them, as it`s `next to impossible' to get all the different sections glued back together :shock: That`s just my opinion though :roll: These buses are 40+ years old and they ain`t the strongest vehicles in history, all right when everything is hunky dory, but in the event of a prang :shock: well who knows. :msn4: On a lighter note though, good luck with them spotty welds :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, What does a dog know anyhooooooow :lol: 8) :lol:

ozziedog said:
...Not a big fan of chopping them off on the pillars and then re welding them, as it`s `next to impossible' to get all the different sections glued back together :shock: That`s just my opinion though :roll:

That's why I didn't do it in the end. It's one thing to do for yourself and satisfy yourself it's good enough, but quite another to charge someone good money to do it. The phrase "Cut and shut" springs to mind. :shock:

Mate !! that wasn`t a shot across the bows to anyone or anything, that`s just how I see it, and it sounds like so do you. I have got a mate however that could weld a pork pie on a steering wheel. He can weld tin foil to RSJs and not ever get his grinder out, but he wouldn`t work on an old bus like mine even if I paid him in Stella Sterling :shock: . But he is more than capable of welding with penetration on any thickness and be able to control it. I on the other hand am a mere mortal and weld one thickness at a time :roll:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, Mates with the welding gods :lol: 8) :lol:

I was agreeing with you ozzie.
If I personally welded up a van as suggested, then there was an accident and it was shown that the "fix" was partially to blame for any injury I wouldn't be able to live with myself. Same goes for fitting rear belts to a converted panel van - I can, but I won't. :) You have to be careful out there.:)

I'm not saying nobody should do these things, because I've seen them done well, just that I wouldn't.

Do understand everyone's point, but when you have no good metal on the internal cross rails, then spot welding is not an option. Was totally mugged when I bought this (my first bay) on eBay. Can't sell it as is, so don't really have any other option that I can see..... Not looking to risk mine or my family's safety, and I'm certainly not going to be rushing or botching it.... Sorry, rant over.... :-/

Edit... That probably sounded ungrateful.... Sorry. 12hr night shift kinda does that... :-( How easy would it be to use the cross supports that run above the windows from the donor roof.....? Basically, mine has rotted badly inside each one except the door roller....

That's the one Sparkywig....!! :) Many thanks. Have honestly thought long & hard about this for two years now. Not due to start till after Christmas, but I'm the sort that plans, double checks, then plans again... :) It's worth far more to me than market value at this stage. If I could do it over again, would have got a dry import, but got taken in by shiny paintwork over rot..... Shame because the bottom half is solid, & it drives like a dream.... :)

ozziedog said:
. Not a big fan of chopping them off on the pillars and then re welding them, as it`s `next to impossible' to get all the different sections glued back together :shock:

I managed to get every (internal) section welded on my '71 ;) - took a bit of thinking about to cut openings in the right place to do the internals, but got there in the end. :)

I had no choice with mine due to the rotten structure of the roof - you could put your hands through the metal between the gutters and the windows. Strangely, the bottom half ain't too bad - I reckon it had been parked under a tree and leaves held water in the gutters.

Still in regular use 5 years later ;)

CIMG0037.jpg

DSC_0068.jpg

Feel free to ask any questions on the tintop roof repair :)

Latest posts