Tinware question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Air Cooled Rookie

Reaction score
I’m not sure if my van engine has bits missing from the tinware or not. I’m fairly sure that the upper part of the tinware is correct, the shroud round the top of the cylinder heads and the small piece in between the heads.

However, there is nothing shrouding the lower halves of the barrels. Is this correct?

The Heritage site shows some sort of tinware below the cylinders (I think) but it’s hard to work out what goes where.

Can anyone enlighten me, or even better does anyone have photos of the tinware?

Thanks

There should be a deflector plate each side that kind of clips to the
lower cylinder studs under each barrel - then there's also the lower tin pieces
which mostly catch the drips of oil from the pushrod tube seals. IIRC the left
side of this is in two pieces and the right side is one piece - though I could be wrong..

Cheers

James

There is tinware on the lower half of the barrels which also covers around the pushrod tubes.On cylinder 3+4 side there is a long curved piece of tin (bottom left in the link) This bolts to the bottom of the head shroud (flywheel side of the engine) then bolts to the two holes in the bottom of the crankcase,level with the cooling fins.You bolt the opposite side of this to the two straps coming off the heat exchanger.There will be an open end to the rear of the engine with no tinware there,this is normal.

The lower tinware for cylinders 1+2 is the same except it is in two halves (lower right hand of link) This is so that you can remove the rear section easily to get to the thermostat bellows (if still fitted) again there is an open gap to the rear which is normal.

Thanks very much for the replies, they're really useful. I am indeed missing parts 17, 18, 19 & 26.

I assume that will affect the speed at which the bellows open the cooling flaps? i.e. the bellows will be getting less hot air directed over them so will be opening the flaps later than intended?

I always wondered what the tags on the heat exchangers were for!

Air Cooled Rookie said:
I assume that will affect the speed at which the bellows open the cooling flaps? i.e. the bellows will be getting less hot air directed over them so will be opening the flaps later than intended?

I always wondered what the tags on the heat exchangers were for!

Yes your right.

The pieces also direct the hot air toward the rear reducing turbulence and the foreward motion of the vehicle helps extract the air.

Running without these tins in a dusty place creates a huge cloud under the vehicle and at low speeds the dust tends to get sucked into the air intake grills - a problem in hot dry climates.

Latest posts