Tow bar mounted bike rack

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilma72

Reaction score
Good evening,
I'm after a bit of advice – I've had a tow bar fitted to my van to allow me to carry up to 4 bikes (2 adult, 2 kids).
Having had a look around I'm considering something like this: http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-specific-accessories/buzz_rack_buffalo_4_bike_tilting_tow_ball_carrier_no_brh404/Qx%40w%2C6M42VAwp3%40Rb%7B%7EcC4ure5LA2V" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone had any experience with this type of rack?

One concern is the total additional weight... will it even move with another 60 odd kilos attached to the rear end?! Apparently this tow bar weights around 10kg. Apart from this it looks pretty solid, easy enough to connect, and it tilts away from the van to allow access to boot etc.

Any help or advise would be much appreciated before I commit.

Many thanks,
Jim

Check what the maximum hitch weight is for your tow bar.
Most modern cars are 100kgs, but I think the original westy ones were only 50kgs.
Also, can you open the engine lid when it's attached...?
Cheers
Al

The weight won't make much difference. I've had a few bikes on a rack on the back of mine and no performance or significant fuel economy difference noticed, went over hardknott and wyrnose pass in the lakes like that!

That's unlike the yaris I also had at the time, which struggled to hit 50 on the flat with the same rack on!

As above, my concern would be access to the engine bay. I've just fitted a 2nd hand Fiamma to mine, much better than the old halfords one I had used before.

Sent from my Siswoo C55 using Tapatalk

If access to the engine bay is an issue to you then I can personally vouch for the Atera STRADA DL. It's like it's almost made for our vans, pricey though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plus 1 for the Atera. We have now have 1 permanently fixed to the motorhome and another used on the bus and hatchback.

Slides forward giving good access for the dog getting into the hatchback or access to engine compartment.

Latest posts