transport after import bus has arrived??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sackmcgannay

Reaction score
once a bus arrives at a UK port -

can i drive it!?
can i toe it?
can it be parked on the road and for how long?

thanks for any help.. rowan.

You could drive it on trade plates. Technichally you could insure it on the chassis number and drive to a pre booked MOT test. You can't park it on the street until registered, taxed and tested and insured.
I'd collect on a trailer.

dont have anywhere to keep it once it arrives in UK....

if i did book it in for an MOT straight away...and it passed....taxed it - can i then leave it parked up on the road??

thanks.. rowan.

I'm buying the bus from a restoration company in San Diego .. they only accept bank transferes/cash.. as long as i am paying into their business account
from my account thats relatively safe isn't it!? :?

sackmcgannay said:
dont have anywhere to keep it once it arrives in UK....

if i did book it in for an MOT straight away...and it passed....taxed it - can i then leave it parked up on the road??

thanks.. rowan.

I'm buying the bus from a restoration company in San Diego .. they only accept bank transferes/cash.. as long as i am paying into their business account
from my account thats relatively safe isn't it!? :?

get a bus cover for it, that way no-one can see if it taxed/registered, as long as u insure it on the chassis just in case

i live on a quiet estate, so ive never had an issue.

In regards to payments, have you got refernces from previous happy UK customers?? I would ask for some if not for peace of mind. UIs it a very well known company, maybe worth PMing ib-bus on here, he lives in san diego

sackmcgannay said:
once a bus arrives at a UK port -

can i drive it!?
can i toe it?
can it be parked on the road and for how long?

thanks for any help.. rowan.

Legally the answer to all of those questions is a big NO.

As Clem has pointed out you can drive it a pre booked MOT but its not going to pass with US lights etc and some ports (Chatham) will not let you drive away as they have been told by the Police & DVLA not to allow it. Remember the US does not have an MOT and from personal experience their idea of working brakes is not mine :roll: :shock:

Illegal to tow it as it weighs over 750Kg so needs brakes applied by the tow vehicle and towing dollies/ A Frames can only be used for recovery/break down purposes.

No you cannot park it on the road either as its not taxed and MOT ed.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but thems the rules, as Clem suggested get it trailered from the port, only real way to do it

Where are you and where is it coming in to? If you dont have the facilities, Id look at getting a company to collect and take to there garage/business to mot prep for you.

There was no way I could have driven mine a long way off the boat, and that was 'ro-ro'. Ive heard tales of guys going to collect vans to drive away to find shipping damage as disabled them.

Seriously, get it trailered away.

cotswoldiver said:
Thread hijack

Seriously, get it trailered away

talking of which, does anyone have the contact details for Jason in Cannock who I think provides this sort of service?

No but I've got a T5 and trailer :mrgreen: :lol:

A mate of mine uses these guys to pick up all his ebay classic car purchases and never has had a problem.

http://www.shiply.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You put in your requirements and people bid for the business. All insurance etc included and although you maybe nervous going for an auction arrangement he's used it 5 or 6 times.

I think Matt_B (on here) used this facility recently

Latest posts