trouble tracing the history of a vehicle...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doris

Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm trying to find out some details of the history of my bus.I know the production date from the m plate is 27 Jan 69,Its registration number suggests it was registered in Liverpool 'WM' and the V5 says it was registered on 01 Aug 69.

Although its a Dormobile,it was 8 months from production to registration, so I reckon it was taken from new to Dormobile,converted to a camper,THEN,registered in Aug.Dormobile do not have any records at all which is disappointing.

So,I'm looking to find through what dealership it was sold as a new vehicle,probably a Liverpool one?!

now,I'm in process of getting a birth certificate from Wolfsburg Stiftung Museum & I know the DVLA do a vehicle history search for £5 which I'm going to do.

Q - has anyone had the dvla one done - what info is on it?

anyone know how to find this dealership info?

very much gratefull if you can help me fill in the gaps of Doris's life!

Kind Regards - Rob

The DVLA send you a letter listing the previously registered keepers of the vehicle.
For my old '72 I then sent an sae to each of the previous owners with a letter saying where the vehicle was now, and any modifications, with a current pic asking for any information, copies of photos, etc.

That's a pretty good idea, sorry to jump in on the thread, do you know how to find out info on a us bus?

sparkywig said:
The DVLA send you a letter listing the previously registered keepers of the vehicle.
For my old '72 I then sent an sae to each of the previous owners with a letter saying where the vehicle was now, and any modifications, with a current pic asking for any information, copies of photos, etc.
Do you have to write to a particular department at the DVLA?

mattd1984 said:
That's a pretty good idea, sorry to jump in on the thread, do you know how to find out info on a us bus?

A post on the samba is worthwhile, especially if the bus is in anyway distinctive - it worked for me with a previous bus.

For my current bus I just looked at the original dealer stamps in the service book!! No idea how to trace previous owners unless you have any details in the documents that came with the bus.

Baldrick said:
sparkywig said:

Here you go, it's changed slightly since I made an enquiry as there's now a form to fill out.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/AdviceOnKeepingYourVehicle/DG_4022067" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sparkywig said:
Baldrick said:
sparkywig said:

Here you go, it's changed slightly since I made an enquiry as there's now a form to fill out.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/AdviceOnKeepingYourVehicle/DG_4022067" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sparkywig you're a star!!! Thanks...I'm going to get on to this ASAP.

What have people said in the 'what info and why do you want it' and how will you use this info' sections on the v888 form?

Robby said:
What have people said in the 'what info and why do you want it' and how will you use this info' sections on the v888 form?

I just put that I planned on showing the vehicle & I would like a comprehensive history of its working life for sentimental reasons.There was no problem,however,all you'll get from DVLA is photcopies of the previous log books/V5's that have been submitted to DVLA everytime the vehicle has been sold.interesting reading though as you'll see who owned her,where & when.

I also got the birth certificate from Wolfsburg for 35 euro.

Robby said:
The DVLA is quite strict on how you fill in these boxes. It says you can use a continuation page so in each of these boxes I wrote "See Attached" and gave a detailed explanation.

They rejected my application and sent me a blank form as you have to start writing in the boxes and then use a continuation page. I guess bureaucracy rules!!

Hopefully I've got it right on my second attempt!!

In case it helps this is what I wrote:
Question 4: What information do you want and why?
I would be grateful if you could provide the names and addresses of all previous registered owners and if possible I would also appreciate copies of previous registration documents.

I would like to research my vehicle's history and the changes that have been made to it over time.

Question 5: How are you going to use the information?
If you are able to provide this information I would attempt to make contact with any previous owners to see if they can give me details of the vehicles history. I’ like to know if it holds any particular memories for them and to know if they made any memorable journeys in it.

As the vehicle has changed colour at least once in its life I’d like to know what other changes have occurred.

I’d also like to give any previous owners the opportunity to see the vehicle as it is now.

Finally got all the details of the previous owners. It seem my bus spent most of its life in the Hampshire area.

I've got to start the hard work now... :)

Latest posts